Conventional BBC heads

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Ghost-Writer

Conventional BBC heads

Post by Ghost-Writer »

New to the forum,
I had a valve failure in my 565 that ruined one Dart 335 cnc head. I've looked for a used casting with no luck and 4600.00 for a new set is not in my budget at this time.
Does anyone have any experience/advice with some of the cheaper Chinese castings on the market, pros and cons, make good power? Thanks!
BILL-C
Expert
Expert

Re: Conventional BBC heads

Post by BILL-C »

Are you sure the head can't be repaired?
Carlquist Competition Engines
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

If it’s Aluminum it can be fully repaired for far less then 4600!

I hope you install top shelf valves this time around even if you have to spring for new heads, that is if the distruction was the valves fault in the first place.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

As long as the valve job is good and you can go some porting in spots on those import heads they should work ok, not as good as a Dart or AFR's and you might be down a little hp but the price sure beats the death out of $4600.
Ghost-Writer

Post by Ghost-Writer »

I talked to a few people about having it fixed and all said it could be repaired but with problems. I guess the seats staying pressed into the head after the TIG welding process is a issue.

I'm pretty sure it was a valve that let go. I bought the Dart 335 heads from Shafiroff back in the early 2000s and they still had the original valves that were supplied from Shafiroff.
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

Ghost-Writer wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:35 am I talked to a few people about having it fixed and all said it could be repaired but with problems. I guess the seats staying pressed into the head after the TIG welding process is a issue.

I'm pretty sure it was a valve that let go. I bought the Dart 335 heads from Shafiroff back in the early 2000s and they still had the original valves that were supplied from Shafiroff.
We fix some pretty messed up stuff.. if they are worrying about the seats.. bring it somewhere that knows what they are doing. Most times the seats and guide come out, then you weld, peen, remachine the counterbore, etc.

Show us some pics.
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

You need to find a new repair shop if they are telling you they can't be fixed or will have issues. I've seen heads so badly damaged you'd think they were scrap, completely repaired, good as new. It takes someone who knows what they are doing and a good machinist but they are definitely repairable....
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
Ghost-Writer

Post by Ghost-Writer »

I will get some pictures next weekend the heads are at my friends shop.
Ghost-Writer

Post by Ghost-Writer »

Dart said they can repair the chamber but the price to fix it was almost the cost of a new casting. I really didn't want to spend that money on a used head and have problems with it down the road. If anyone knows a good repair shop I'm willing to listen? Regards
Ghost-Writer

Post by Ghost-Writer »

Imagecouple of pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RAS
Pro
Pro

Post by RAS »

Dart cnc heads flow very close to the as cast but the cnc outsells them by a huge margin.
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

Wow, that's pretty nasty, but it can be fixed.
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

If only the one head is munched, buying just one casting should be well below $4,000. Or as just mentioned, an as cast version of similar size should save some coin and a little pocket porting and port matching should get it close to the other. Just a thought. Trying to think outside the box if I were in your shoes and strapped for cash. I would think it would be the same or less than buying a pair of overshore castings.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

I would look for someone else who had a blow - up and may have one good head. Even if its a different brand. Beggars can' be choosers as my grandpappy used to say.
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
jsgarage
Expert
Expert

Post by jsgarage »

For $4000+, you could buy a used TIG welder and all its accessories, take a high school night class in welding and fix it yourself in a month or two! Then you won't be at the mercy of others next time life goes sideways on you. Anyone that runs & tunes a big big block Chev should be capable of doing this- and maybe should expect to! Unless you're racing for money instead of paying to go down the track, take the time to fix it right. Your own TIG is a future investment.