flowmaster JUNK mufflers

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ST7317

Post by ST7317 »

I run 3" 30 series Flowmasters. Sound quality is a subjective thing, but I have seen no difference in my MPH with or without them.
trmnatr

Post by trmnatr »

I have had good luck on street/strip cars with Hooker Aero Chamber Mufflers. They sound not loud at idle or cruise speeds but when W.O.T they are loud. They are a 2 chamber but you can look right through the mufflers and its side to side offset
nxtruck
Pro
Pro

Post by nxtruck »

Joe,
You are referring to the race-series mufflers, aren't you? I checked out Magnaflow's website and the only thing I saw listed in a 3 1/2" in & out was in their race-series line. Do you use the oval or round mufflers? I'm running a set of Dynomax race magnums right now and am looking for something that performs as well as these with maybe a little less noise. These Dynomax mufflers are a straight-through design and made more power than the Flowmasters that they replaced. I was thinking that if I can find a muffler that performs as well as these and was possibly a little quieter, that I might switch.
Thanks in advance!
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

mufflers

Post by bigjoe1 »

I have both the round and oval type, and there is no differance. I dont know what flowmaster mufflers I was testing, but the engine owner would get the best ones he could( I would think )I have had lots of calls telling me that their car picked up big time when they switched to Magaflows. They are much quieter than any other muffler I have triedd too.

JOE SHERMAN RACING ENGINES
nxtruck
Pro
Pro

Post by nxtruck »

Thanks for the info Joe! I appreciate it!! I will be looking into a set of Magnaflows soon.
Thanks again,
Chris
1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm »

Magnaflow makes part number 12909 which is a 3.5" muffler. It is of oval design with one in and one out.
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru
Post by rustbucket79 »

I've had good results with the Flowmaster mufflers, and am partial to their sound.

My results have been:

11.12 in the quarter at 119 MPH with the exhaust installed. (Flowmaster H pipe kit, 3" tubing, 50 series Flowmaster mufflers (not delta flow) straight in offset out, no tailpipes)

10.96 at 121.6 (we always remember the best pass to date hehehe) with open headers, result of removing the exhaust is 60# less weight, so that must be factored into the ET difference. All things considered, the mufflers didn't steal all that much on my combo.

79 Camaro, 406 small block, 5500 stall, 4.10 w 28" slick, 3550 w/driver and exhaust installed
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

mufflers

Post by bigjoe1 »

I tell all my engine customers that the Magnaflow is the way to go. I always hear how they are surprised by how well they run, and how quiet they are. I HATE the flowmaster sound, and everybody that has changed over to Magnaflows loves the way they sound,I have witnessed drag test where we removed the Magfnaflow mufflers( some tracks still run open headers) and the car LOST over one full MPH, even though the mufflers weigh 40-50 lbs. I have seen this done several times. When you remove the flowmaster and pickup .25 of a second, and pick up 4 plus MPH, it is time to change.

JOE SHERMAN RACING ENGINES
RL
Guru
Guru

Post by RL »

We had the same thing happen when a customer used the flowmasters. It was a 10 teen 454 in a chevelle. With the flowmasters on it would run 10:50 I don't remember what series they were though, but he was proud of them until he took them off and then the car ran right where we told him it would
How many times have customers used sub standard parts or setup and complained to you that the engine you just built was no good. We dyno'd an engine at 601hp, then the owner chassis dyno'd at 380rwhp, chucked the mufflers and fixed the problem. Or this engine has no top end, and find the fuel pressure up there is 0psi. We have a guy down here that only does a drive in, drive out service, he doesn't sell engines outright
Tuner
Guru
Guru
Post by Tuner »

I’d like to have all the bail money and fines flowmasters have generated over the years. (and purple hornies, remember them?). Nobody goes street racing anymore but when they did a set of f—masters was like sending up a weather balloon with a flashing neon sign on it calling all cops. Now everybody’s crying because there’s a under 90dB rule after 10:00PM and they can’t make another pass because their car’s too loud. Cry me a river.
blow-thru

Post by blow-thru »

On a sort of related matter has anybody expirienced problems good or bad running different diameter pipe sized mufflers???
I'm specifically refering to using a 3" muffler on a 2 1/2 inch system.
As long as the pipe joins are neat ie no sharp steps into and out of the muffler will this have a negative effect on tuning the exhaust length and pulse ?????
Will the engine see the difference in expansion causing a false tuning point ????
Larry, anyone ???
Regards Carl..........
rustang
Post by rustang »

Spintechs were mentioned earlier. Has anyone done any back to back tests with them? A buddy of mine has them on his camaro and swears by them. The more rpm the more effective they are decible wise. His car is set up for autocross but still runs 127 mile trap speeds on pump gas. (355 with projection and steel heads.. Dart maybe?, and roller cam.) It was a top 10 car in hot rod a few years ago.
double r
Post by double r »

I ran some DNA mufflers last year and only lost 500 hundreths of a second on back to back runs. Can't judge how quiet they are compared to the others but they don't lose any power thru them. Don't think they were all that quiet, I may try a magnaflow also...
Barry_R
Guru
Guru

Post by Barry_R »

I've run the Magnaflows, the Hooker MaxFlows, and the Hooker AeroChambers in EMC testing. The Magnaflows and MaxFlows were pretty much identical.

The AeroChambers were really quiet - on 2006 motor they actually made a better overall score and I ran them, this last year they were off by a tiny amount. Since MagnaFlow was a sponsor I ran them this year instead. I put the AeroChambers on my street rod - they are really nice.

The coolest was when I test ran the engine with 1963 427 long tube cast iron manifolds and the AeroChambers. It was down by only 36 horsepower at 606, and was almost spooky quiet.
Survival Motorsports
www.survivalmotorsports.com

WD for Comp, Manley, Blue Thunder, Diamond
Probe, Holley, Clevite, Federal-Mogul, Scat....
Cashflow

Post by Cashflow »

Doug,

Not trying to hijack the thread but what is the deal with K&N? I'm assuming you mean their air filters?
vb

Remember: One day with the top down is better than a lifetime in a box!!