valve spring tester calibration spring?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

PackardV8
Guru
Guru

valve spring tester calibration spring?

Post by PackardV8 »

My valve spring tester calibration spring has gone missing. Does anyone have an extra spring and no tester? E-mail me off-list, PackardV8@comcast.net or a PM through here.

Thinking it through, although not best science and not traceable to the National Bureau of Standards, once your tester had been zeroed to your calibration spring, any good quality spring could be measured, marked to height and rate and then would be a semi-calibration spring.

As an aside, I was in a friends head shop and his spring height mic was beside the Rimac valve spring tester. Just playing, I checked and found at least .010" difference between the mic and the pointer on the Rimac. (The Rimac is difficult to repeatably read within .010" anyway. He said there are so many pieces in an OHV train is difficult to assemble everything within .010" anyway. That's why rockers have those screws.) However, now, I can't help but check the two of mine against each other every time.

thnx, jack vines
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
biz_nasty1

Re: valve spring tester calibration spring?

Post by biz_nasty1 »

RIMAC apparently now has calibrated test springs...might be worth checking out: https://rimac-tools.com/calibrated-test-springs/
n2omike
Guru
Guru

Post by n2omike »

PAC Part number PAC-T900
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

I've been thru that before !
Mine for last 30 years has been mechanics wired to my Rimac. Lol
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

Depending on the tester you have will determine which spring you need but have the Rimac spec's to test from
The info in the sleeve says the following
Rimac 0095 calibrated spring ( grey in color ).
At 1.375" setting height equals 175 lbs
At 1.750 setting height equals 73 lbs
This is the grey spring for the common 500 lb max testers.
It has a black mark lining up the tails of the spring on each end as well as it says the mark goes on the top and says to align the mark facing away from the tester towards the operator.

I should mention that on this card the info is on is what comes with the tester when you get it new. The card is at least 20 years old but I use the original info for setting the tester's
I got replacement test springs along with the calibration adjustment sheet when it looked like they were going away permanently.
I use a setting mic to set the heights before testing as this allow the addition of a retainer in the measurement setup easier then trying to use calipers or a similar measuring devise.
I do not reuse many spring sets so I am not testing a ton of used springs but I do check new springs sets. I do a test every few months as I am the only guy that uses the testers at any time.

The calibration is always within 2-5 lbs every time depending on time of day's shop temp so I do it at night when between 65 and not over 70 degrees in the shop..
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

I bought my test spring from Isky.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

Geoff2 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:35 am I bought my test spring from Isky.
Is it the same test heights as the spring Rimac supplied with the tester's??
And which tester do you have the spring for?? But my guess is the 500 lb or the 1000 lb tester.
The 250 lb tester was for import stuff. When they came out I asked about them and I was told they were for imports since they were getting real popular back then in the late 70's early 80's..
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Not sure about the test #s on the Isky spring. Haven't used it for 20 yrs.