Opinions good or bad of Eagle "H" beam connecting

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

bsnova
Opinions good or bad of Eagle "H" beam connecting

Post by bsnova »

Any coments would be great. They seem so inexpensive--do they hold up?
THX --BS
Last edited by bsnova on Wed May 18, 2005 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
k-star
Guru
Guru

rods

Post by k-star »

Not sure what your application your looking for....

I have about 8 / 10 engines with the eagle H beam rods in and i have had no issues with them. They are all strip, or street / strip engines. No dirt track engines with them in.....

The only thing i have noticed is that if you stretch the bolts and check the big end they seam to run on the small side. So i always check that before i go any futher with them....

I think i might have touched a few caps to get the balance correct but it did not take much, they were real close.....I might have taken 2 or 3 grams total off of them....

Keith
“If I hit you with this you’re going to be numb, that’s why they call them numb-chucks “Si Robertson
bsnova
rods

Post by bsnova »

My application is BBC, drag car, 8000 rpm max. THX--BS
Trev

Lunati

Post by Trev »

Go with Lunati Pro Billets
Great rod
Racer7088
Pro
Pro

Post by Racer7088 »

They are an incredible deal and you can get them with the L19 or ARP2000 bolts if you want. Even with the regular 8740 bolts they are incredibly strong. I've seen then in crazy outlaw cars and on tons of circle and drag engines too.

Never had any problems with them so far with the exception of having some of them a few years back not having a big enough bearing tang cut in some of them. Also they are fairly heavy in the regular sizes (640-670g) but they do have some lightweights now for the 2bbl stuff that only weigh in the low 500 gram range and they even have some Honda versions now too.
Erik Koenig

Houston, TX

http://samracing.com

http://HKRacingEngines.com
ChrisU
Pro
Pro
Post by ChrisU »

I have a friend at Ford in their engine development program. They have done testing and analysis on aftermarket rods. This was about 5 years back so I don't remember much in terms of details, but the Eagle H Beam rod was comparable to a Carr Rod.... again, don't remember any details but don't let the price fool you.

I think this development had something to do with the Cobra engines.... if you recall they had H beam rods in them.
Uratchko Racing Engines
248-755-5556
mike_belben
Post by mike_belben »

i asked this question of a very big name honda builder, since crowers have a rep of being superior over the eagle "econo" rods at $325 for a set of 4. he said few people knew they were run regularly in his race motor, which is pretty competitive from what i hear.
dirtnap
Post by dirtnap »

Although inexpensive I personally have stopped using them because of size problems lots of taper problems with roundness or lack thereof in my opinion scat components are better size wise straight out of the box I had some Eagles pull the threads out of the rods the first time I took the bolts out . Wouldnt use them in any purpose built race engine .I have engines out that have been using the same set of Carillos for years. In my opinion the cheaper stuff isnt worth the risk .
bsfc9

Post by bsfc9 »

My question is if the material used in the eagle rods(from red china) is certified as this may have serious effect on the heat treat and perhaps overall longevity, I think it is pretty safe to say the carrillo rod is reliable in that area. I think dimensional accuracy of eagle stuff has improved over the years. How about Manley H-beams--what's up with them?
ou812
HotPass
HotPass

Post by ou812 »

I use manley rods in almost everything and I can tell you they are top notch! I like scats rods too, but Manleys are super strong, usually fairly light and reasonable.
Brian
SStrokerAce
Guru
Guru

Post by SStrokerAce »

I'm with Erik on this as well... I just find that sometimes you have to throw them on the hone to get the small or big end to the right size for clearance but for the price I find it hard to beat. Hell I'll replace the whole rod for the price if I have a warn out pin bushing, just not worth the machine time when I can buy one for the same price or less.

The weight is the other issue, the lightweights are really nice for the money, but comparable with a Howards version of the same thing. If you keep the RPM down, the piston light the lightweight rods can take some HP.

RMRE uses Manley H-Beams in a lot of their package motors, and Ford ended up using them in the GT40 and new Cobra 500+hp motor.

Bret
Ziegler
Post by Ziegler »

I run them in my turbo 4 cylinder and haven't had a problem yet. My car makes a little under 700whp and torque in the 600 ft-lb range. I rev it out to 8500RPMs. It is mostly a street/strip car and doesn't see extended high HP runs like you might on a circle track car. If the V8 rods are of the same quality, I would think they would be able to handle some pretty good power. There has been some sizing problems in the big end of the rods on some sets with the import rods also.
la360
Expert
Expert

Post by la360 »

From what I have seen, the Manley and Scat rods have been the pick of the economy H beam rods. For the $$$ , this style of rod is hard to beat, if you are planning on making some steam , I would look at upgrading the rod bolts. As far as the best I have seen, Oliver rods are difficult to beat, but honestly, in a big HP engine, I would personally run GRP's or MGP's
AL...
highVE
Expert
Expert

eagle rods

Post by highVE »

I have used eagle rods and many engines. from street to 700hp stroker small blocks. Had good success. always used L19 rod bolt however. good luck
Racer7088
Pro
Pro

Post by Racer7088 »

I have actually had more problems with the SCATs as compared to the Eagles but you need to check everything! A long time ago I did have some eagles where the tangs were not machined deep enough but we fixed them although some newbie or hobby guy might not have noticed. Since then though I have used so many I have lost count and haven't had many other issues. I think they have gotten better and better.

Of course something like the Carrillo is better but they have incredible quality control over everything and that's what I would use on a high dollar endurance engine when you have the money as they are simply a super product in every way!
Erik Koenig

Houston, TX

http://samracing.com

http://HKRacingEngines.com