Shaft rocker geometry

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

70MC
Pro
Pro

Post by 70MC »

Talked to Crowers engineering dept., and they said i needed a 5 degree different seat angle. He said that the new rockers with the new angle are for 18 degree heads (which mine are 23 degree). They have arrived and i tried them, and things are MUCH better.
Here is the geometry that i now see.
With .050 worth of shims the pattern on the valve is .070 wide, and the pushrod at half lift is at 90*.
With .075 shims my pattern on the valve is .055 wide, the pushrod is past 90* by about 2* at half lift.
With .100 of shims the pattern on the valve is .050 wide and the pushrod angle looks bad it is way past 90* at half lift.
I think that with .075 shims, it is a good compromise, but the engineer at Crower seems to be VERY intrested in what the pushrod is doing at half lift due to the forces of the accelerating valvetrain and spring pressures, and likes the .050 worth of shims since the pushrod is at 90* at half lift even though the rocker is moving more across the valve.
All the specs i have given here today and also in the past has been with real springs and not checking springs.
I am going to mock things back up since i have reread all the past posts and i now have a clear picture of how Bill Jones said to measure the pattern on the valve. Crower said that the whitness mark made with coloring the end of the valve will measure larger than the rocker actually moves.
I would like to get other opinions on the amount of shims to use with the geometry patterns i now see. Since the pushrod angle is so bad with .100 of shims it will have to be .050 or .075. Thanks in advance.
A bad day of racing is better than a good day of work