Head Gaskets

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

monkdafyed

Head Gaskets

Post by monkdafyed »

Hi guys, just got done building a 455 olds. performer rpm heads, hyd. roller. Ran this engine in a test stand for about 45 minutes noticed some debris in the oil filter, took engine apart and found the cam was starting to wear the front of the block I corrected this problem with a brass washer.
I am using Fel-Pro 1155 head gaskets which is a pre-flattened steel wire steel core laminate, my question is, has anyone ever tryed reusing this type of head gasket after engine ran, head gasket still looks good? My supplier is out of stock and need to get engine together.
Thanks, Brad
highVE
Expert
Expert

felpro head gaskets

Post by highVE »

I under stand what your going threw. However. and can't say i have reused one before. even with so little time on it. i would not recomend it. but i can't say it wouldn't work, because i have never tried. If your supplier is expecting a shipment soon. i think it's worth the hold up.
highVE
Expert
Expert

head gaskets

Post by highVE »

Oh, yeah, let me know how you make out
jwojtasi

Head gasket reuse Felpro

Post by jwojtasi »

Have bloody tried this ? it works for about 3months . but think about having to do this work all over again???????
John Haskell

Post by John Haskell »

If the gaskets are installed on the same side they came from you have no worries. I see this continually and the guys will use them up to six teardowns if all looks good. Now thats based on good original machining. This has gone on for many many years in the US.