NASCAR cams?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

bc
Pro
Pro
NASCAR cams?

Post by bc »

Does anyone know what kind of cam lift the NASCAR guys are running?
highVE
Expert
Expert

nascar cams

Post by highVE »

To my knowlege, (not being a winston cup engine builder) they are running a net valve lift of around .660-.690 on the un-restricted engines. and i believe that's with a 1.75 or a 1.8 rocker. keep in mind(as of a few years ago) they are still using flat tappet camshafts. i'm pretty sure they still are too.
Robert Kane
Pro
Pro
Post by Robert Kane »

A flat tappet camshaft is limited in lobe lift by the diameter of the tappet. The larger the tappet base (i/e mushroom) the bigger the lobe/base circle cam be until the limiting factor becomes the cam journal size. The bigger the bearing diameter, the higher the lobes can go, and the larger the base circle can be. Lobe lift can not exceed 1/2 tappet diameter or edge contact cam occur and the cam lobes don't like that.
Robert
Joe Mendelis

Post by Joe Mendelis »

NASCAR? If you mean flat tappet Cup stuff it is over .800 and they run over 2.0 for rockers.
idunno

Post by idunno »

they are using roller billet cams that are modified for use with solid flat tappet tool steel lifters. Nothing stock about them. THey use to grind a groove in the center of the lobe and weld Nickel into it.Now I think they are using a new billet material with a different Heat treating process that eliminates the welding. Im kinda outdated on the new Nextell Cup motors.
SStrokerAce
Guru
Guru

Post by SStrokerAce »

idunno wrote:they are using roller billet cams that are modified for use with solid flat tappet tool steel lifters. Nothing stock about them. THey use to grind a groove in the center of the lobe and weld Nickel into it.Now I think they are using a new billet material with a different Heat treating process that eliminates the welding. Im kinda outdated on the new Nextell Cup motors.
lol.... not that far outdated if you know that.

From what I have heard you are pretty close, the particulars of how and what they are using are interesting.

Bret
Jay Allen

Post by Jay Allen »

.420" lobe lift to .440" lobe lift with 1.8 - 1.9 - 2.0 rockers.

Billet cores. CNC ground.
Jay Allen
CAMSHAFT INNOVATIONS
www.camshaftinnovations.com
SStrokerAce
Guru
Guru

Post by SStrokerAce »

Jay Allen wrote:.420" lobe lift to .440" lobe lift with 1.8 - 1.9 - 2.0 rockers.

Billet cores. CNC ground.
Not what I hear on the flat tappet stuff Jay... they still have the old machines doing the work with the guys who know how to do it.

Bret
RJ

Post by RJ »

Jay is real close.
larrycoyle

Nascar Cams

Post by larrycoyle »

They also used to do this same treatment to the fuel car cams in the old days. The general term for it is hard face overlay.

Larry