W2 heads...again

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ou812
HotPass
HotPass

W2 heads...again

Post by ou812 »

Working on my heads, got the ports to stop stalling, added a wing in the intake port to help direct wet flow better, and noticed that the epoxy I laid in there helped speed up the air quite noticeably. Has anyone ever taken turbulence out of a port, lost some flow below .500 and still pick up power? Im getting 450fps right before the ST apex, at .650 lift where its flowing about 305cfm. I know the cross-section at the ST is still small, but hate to keep enlarging it to slow the air. I talked with Bill Jones here, and Mike Chapman, who has always been very kind in helping me, and Mike seems to think the port will be fine for my target rpm of 7500. He also said the wings if they're done right will make power. Anyone else try this and run it to see if these things work?
Brian
Robert Kane
Pro
Pro
Post by Robert Kane »

450 fps sound too fast for an intake port ssr. What method are you using to measure/ calculate your speeds?
Robert.
ou812
HotPass
HotPass

Post by ou812 »

Pitot tube and superflow flowcom computer. It was down to about 400 before I epoxied the wing in and behind the intake valve some. Yeah it sounds too fast, but it keeps on flowing air past .700 lift and Mike Chapman seemed to think it would work well. He also said, that if I had to drasticly change cross-section to slow it, that could end up hurting power. So...guess Ill try it. When I first pulled them off, I flowed them just the way they were and got 440fps at .550 lift. Now its a little lower, but the car ran hard for what Ive got done to it. Guess Im gonna have to try it...just wondered if anyone had gained power by eliminating turbulence even if flow numbers have dropped a few in the lower lifts?
Brian
ou812
HotPass
HotPass

Post by ou812 »

8)