Synthetic oil

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Dave Koehler
Vendor

Synthetic oil

Post by Dave Koehler »

Nope, not which one is best or how much HP? I believe everything every manufacturer says about their oil. :shock:

I am actually am more interested if ANYONE has ever recorded a temperature drop in an engine or a transmission over using dinosaur oil?

In all the ads I see they tout temp drop but any tests run on the dyno for self interests never show this temp drop, just the wonders of HP. At least, that I have found so far.

I just wondered if this temp drops exists in the real world.
I am looking at switching to help my over loaded , runs too hot in July, hauler.

Thanks
Dave Koehler
shawn
Expert
Expert

Post by shawn »

We did something similar I guess in a circle burner.We ran a heat race with conventional oil (30w castrol) and switched to lighter weight Royal Purple that had made more power on the dyno for the main.Our conclusion was that there wasn't any change in oil temp that we could detect.Our thinking was probably along the lines of yours,that with the reduced friction we should see a reduction in oil temps at least but they just didn't seem to be there.The oil had its own cooler,too.
Shawn
Racer Roy

Post by Racer Roy »

I did notice a 20 degree temp drop, and a 10psi increase(hot, at idle) in my import truck cruiser switching from 20/50 to Castrol 5/50 Syntec for street use.
I then tried it in my stock car with mixed results. The oil pressure on the 350 SBC would seriously jump around, sometimes as low as 20psi.
I switched to regular 20/50 at the track and the pressure improved.
While hardly scientific, I am reluctant to try synthetic again until I can do some research.

RR
Nwguy

Post by Nwguy »

Ditto on the engine oil temps. However, when installed in the differentials on my father in laws semi trucks, he saw a 25-30 degree temp drop with the synthetic.