Peformance engine building - more art or more science?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

Lazy JW wrote:And no amount of science can ever produce anything as magnificent as Michelangelo's "Pieta". Indeed, no artist ever has either.
Joe

Hey! What about them dogs playing poker?
jimivice

Performance Engine Building, more art - more science

Post by jimivice »

I think the term "Art" has been taken too literally. Artists think in the abstract and are not limited by boundries. Scientists work with facts and proven theories and are limited buy what they believe to be valid. At one time the earth was thought to be flat because the science of that time could not offer a better explaination. The term "science" as we have all accepted was founded by "free thinkers". Hell! One of the best scientific minds was an artist - Leonardo DaVinci. He not only painted the Mona Lisa but also tried to develope a helicopter. So you tell me that there is no art in science.
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

Engines (as is the rest of the vehicle) are a matter of pure science and art has absolutely nothing to do with it.....
Reckon you have very little appreciation for car shows, eh? Lots of those are built purely as "art".
Quite the contrary. I have a great appreciation for car shows and the cars and people who build them. The science that is necessary to construct a show winner (or even an entry) is substantial. But the science is far different than the imagination and visualization that is necessary to conceive and design the asthetics.

Science is not art, art is not science. But both certainly have a place.