Honing with 4stones intead of 2

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

highVE
Expert
Expert

Honing with 4stones intead of 2

Post by highVE »

Over the last 5 years of building race engines i've always used the standard 2 stone/2 shoes honing. Has anyone or does anyone use 4 stones and if so, does it make for a rounder cylinder. as i plate hone all my blocks i always measure the typical 12 and 6o'clock positions, and also 3 and 9. the cylinder (to the best of my dial bore guaging ability) appears to be round. Does it keep the cylinder a little cooler when honing?
crazycuda
Expert
Expert

Post by crazycuda »

I've tried the 4 stone set up (just for S&G's) there are 2 things that will cause a problem, first most of the portable hone heads wont allow for you to use 4 stones (there is diferent stud spacing for the stones and wipers) Also the wipers are used to brush away honing debry and distribute honing oil in the cylinder.
highVE
Expert
Expert

Post by highVE »

I am aware of the other honing heads as that is the type i currently used. i have used sunnen ck-10 many of times at SAM and working at another race shop. i'm not complaining of my results nor do i have problems w/ring seating. just wondering what other guys are doing.
Matey79
Post by Matey79 »

I see sunnen uses 4 stones for there new diamond tooling and new
SV 10 honing machine. I have used Ck 10, Cv 616 both with conventional 2 stones and 2 guides. But nothing in my experience compares to CK-21 and 8 diamond stones in terms of getting a cylinder straight. It's much harder to correct an already ran engine that has cylinders out of round using a conventional 2 stone silicon carbide hone head, compared to using diamonds and Ck 21.