please help

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Skip Honaker

please help

Post by Skip Honaker »

I post a question on welding a cast Iron head only had one reply on someone that can do it surely there is got to be more people out there. I don't mind shipping it. This a well ported sporstman 2 head with great flow number and would like to get it fixed.
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-did you show us a photo of the problem?
-define the problem in a good photo and e-mail it to me and I'll look at it.
-I have brazed about a dozen heads over the years and they all have served well with no braze repair issues whatsoever.
Skip Honaker

Post by Skip Honaker »

I can send you a picture but forgot to tell that someone tried to fix it and its covered in weld try to tig weld it with nye-rod the crack starts in the intake port and runs through to seat into the combustion chainber. The guy said he could fix it no problem and made it worst.
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-I read about the problem the first time and I know about the mess.
-But until I can see what and where and just how bad it is I can't get any sort of an idea as to what it'll take.
-I have virtually brazed 1/4" of a chamber back onto a similar Dart cast (high dollar head) iron head years ago and I sold that pair of heads to a friend in GA and he'd been running on a dirt track, put 4000 laps on the heads with NO problems.
-That head was broken right thru a sparkplug hole one head bolt hole into the exhaust shroud over and thru the dowel pin hole at out the rear.
-It had been on a blown SBC where they had reciever grooves in the head and torched past a gasket and about 3 inches around that groove right there by dowel pin and then the crack virtually broke that entire corner off but for about half an inch that was left to hold the chunk in place.
-So I need to see what it looks like.
Skip Honaker

Post by Skip Honaker »

Bill I'm not sure how to up load pictures on to this site but give me email and I'll send them to you or if you know how I'll post them
speedtalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Post by speedtalk »

In Memory of Don Terrill
SpeedTalk Owner/Admin
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-just click on the e-mail at the bottom of one of my posts.