Cam theory/decision time...

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BigPurp

Cam theory/decision time...

Post by BigPurp »

Well i've been reading as much as possible on cam theory and practical application in hopes of getting something that will work well for my truck. Seems the more I read the more I realise how little I actually know :(

If you guys with far greater knowledge than myself wouldn't mind throwing your .02 in here I would really appreciate it.

Motor:
SB Mopar, 408ci stroker (360 based)
Iron Magnum r/t heads (2.02/1.625 valve)
Static comp 9.8:1 (.040 quench)
dynamic comp to be right around 8.0 (ivc 63* abdc)
Single plane 4bbl m1 intake manifold
FAST standalone EFI
Hyd roller cam, but lifters have been shimmed so only provide .010 movement. Run with .006-010 lash (similar to a solid roller)

this is going in a 4400lb truck. 4.10 gear, 28" tire, 3400 stall converter, through a 4spd auto. Pump gas street/strip. Will get nitrous later down the road.

What I came up with was: these #'s are @ .050
IVO- 9btdc
IVC- 41abdc
EVO- 48bbdc
EVC- 8atdc

Gives a 230/236 dur .540/.560 lift, on a 108lsa (106cl)

I'm shooting for good power from 2800-6200 and not a super wild idle.

One question I did have was, is there any advantage to going with a bigger duration, say 236/242 and opening up the LSA to 110.. seems this would give similar idle characteristics (overlap is only 2* more) yet let it breath better on the top end.

Also, if you guys can point me in the direction of some good literature on cam theory I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm open to hear anything you guys have to share.
SStrokerAce
Guru
Guru

Post by SStrokerAce »

I think your first choice is a good one. I might add a little more lift in there but I think you are in the right area for a tame cam in that stroker.

Bret
airflowdevelop
Guru
Guru

Post by airflowdevelop »

what is condition of the cylinder heads? in stock trim the r/t heads start becoming shakers at .450" on the intake. specifically for a 400+ inch motor, I would hope you have added a good deal of volume, and fixed the short turn. If not, keep the overall lift about where you have it, and blow a few more degrees of duration in the intake. Pulling the centerline back on the intake a few degrees would not hurt either.

We are currently working on a project for another board member for a late 90's truck, with a set of commando's...pretty neat project but a little tough to get the heads to come around.

We currently have the master port done, and digitizing. I don't know how many of these things I will ever do, but non the less a cool project (we have relocated the approach of the port, relocated the pushrod location, sleeved and buttoned the head bolt pinch, moved the intake valve and did a complete redesign of the chamber)

Dennis
BigPurp

Post by BigPurp »

airflowdevelop wrote:what is condition of the cylinder heads? in stock trim the r/t heads start becoming shakers at .450" on the intake. specifically for a 400+ inch motor, I would hope you have added a good deal of volume, and fixed the short turn. If not, keep the overall lift about where you have it, and blow a few more degrees of duration in the intake. Pulling the centerline back on the intake a few degrees would not hurt either.

We are currently working on a project for another board member for a late 90's truck, with a set of commando's...pretty neat project but a little tough to get the heads to come around.

We currently have the master port done, and digitizing. I don't know how many of these things I will ever do, but non the less a cool project (we have relocated the approach of the port, relocated the pushrod location, sleeved and buttoned the head bolt pinch, moved the intake valve and did a complete redesign of the chamber)

Dennis
They have had quite an extensive port job done. Flow just over 300 on the intake @.600, don't recall the exhaust. I lost the printout from the flow bench :( I thought about pushing the lift higher but need to check the P:V and see what kind of room I have. Using diamond dished pistons so it shouldn't be too tight, but i'm gonna check it none the less.

If I bump the duration up a bit is it still going to pull good vac? I'm hoping to keep at least 10" @ idle (800rpm ish) It's still running power brakes etc.

Sounds like you are going full tilt on those commandos. Is he using a mag or LA block? There are quite a few of these trucks being built to run the #'s... if you guys had a CNC program for the R/T heads selling them wouldn't be hard at all. Tho I would really like to run a nice aluminum head, W5 or maybe an indy 360-2 if they fix the casting flaws.

My ultimate goal is to run in the 12.5x area on the motor, and deep into the 11's on nitrous.

Thanks for the insight
airflowdevelop
Guru
Guru

Post by airflowdevelop »

10" of vacuum should be no problem, if the induction system is working correctly.

How big of a strap did you have to use to keep the flowbench on the floor?

Seriously, start probing the port and you will see what I mean. If you shorten the SSR and widen the walls at the bottom of the port, it will hurt your flow a fair amount, but the head will start making power. The sound that you start hearing around .400" (the one that makes the dogs bark 4 states away) is a bad thing.

Also, it may not be a bad idea to pick some of Don's tapes up on head development, much valuable information. When you figure the induction system out, and what it is trying to do, picking a camshaft becomes allot easier.

Thanks
Dennis
BigPurp

Post by BigPurp »

haha, i'll have to talk with my head guy and see what kind of info I can get.

Whos Don? I'm always looking for books, vids, etc. on stuff like this.

Do you have a website for your shop? Or any contact info?
airflowdevelop
Guru
Guru

Post by airflowdevelop »

Don Terrill (sorry if I murdered your last name)
he is the moderator of this site, if you look around you can find his bio.

http://www.speedtalk.com/calendar_racing.html

here is a list of interviews.

website is currently down (too many phone calls, not enough work getting done!)

my contact info though
717-887-4666
airflowdevelop@netscape.net

Thanks
Dennis