The Jim McFarland CD's....

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Lasher...
The Jim McFarland CD's....

Post by Lasher... »

Don,

Was wondering if by chance you have ever read Jim's book ? It is titled " The Great Manifold Bolt On " .... It was published by Edelbrock circa 1982 ?

During the interview Jim was talking about the intake runner shape and how he felt that it should have a trapezoidial cross section...... there is a very good pic in there of that......

Also a good time/pressure trace showing the sine waves in the intake prior to the valve opening.....what happens as the valve opens ( reversion spike ) ..during cylinder fill and closeing.....whats really intresting is the much higher amplitude when the intake closes..... sort of ties in with the discussion on another thread here on the 4/7 cam swap.

Also in the interview he was discussing different lobes and cam timing for different cylinders........ I have some 30 plus year old info on that very subject from one of the major cam mfg's if you would ever like to see it.
speedtalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Post by speedtalk »

I've been talking to Jim about coming back on the show - hopefully he will.

Thanks for the tip on the book.

I'd love to see the stuff on timing for different cylinders.

I came across some old Hot Rod magazines and it's amazing what we think is trick today was talked about 35 years ago. Go even farther back and look at what the Germans did for engine performance.
Last edited by speedtalk on Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Memory of Don Terrill
SpeedTalk Owner/Admin
Lasher...
Post by Lasher... »

Don ,

You certinally are correct about old stuff ..... In one of my other books laying around " Basic Cams , Valves and Exhaust Systems " Circa 1968 they were talking about port texture ...just like Jim was..... Clay Smith did a test with polished intake runners and the HP dropped.... he roughend them up and the HP returned........ He used this as an example " Try blowing alcohol off a smooth piece of glass with air.... The fluid tends to cling to the glass...But try the same thing on sandpaper and the fluid is blown off immediately ".

Don I have one problem...my scanner is dead.... Can I snail mail or maybe fax this info to you ?
speedtalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Post by speedtalk »

Great, fax it to: (269) 226-4221
Thanks
In Memory of Don Terrill
SpeedTalk Owner/Admin
Lasher...
Post by Lasher... »

Hi Don....

I faxed the info this AM.... did it happen to arive ok ? or is some of it unreadable ?
speedtalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Post by speedtalk »

Yes, got it. Thanks a ton! I'll look it over tonight. By the way, did you get this?
viewtopic.php?t=16
In Memory of Don Terrill
SpeedTalk Owner/Admin
Lasher...
Post by Lasher... »

Thank You Don.... Thats really going above and beyond the call of duty ! Thank you.
speedtalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Post by speedtalk »

The least I could do for someone helping me with more reading material. Thanks again for the fax. Oh, I also found a copy of the book - not that easy.

Submit some questions for Jim's next interview, post them here
viewtopic.php?t=101
In Memory of Don Terrill
SpeedTalk Owner/Admin