Most power out of a 23* head pumpgas smallblock?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

flyin ryan
Pro
Pro

Re: mohawk/husky fuel

Post by flyin ryan »

greywolf wrote:Ryan,
would the fuel you are talking about be the ethanol blended premium gas.
(10% ethanol added).
some form of Ethanol is blended into it. i would't want to quote an exact percentage. your right...something like 10% though.
There are no limit's to mans' ingenuity, just as mans' ingenuity will never conquer the forces & behavior of this planet....Smokey Y.
Fatman
Guru
Guru
-

Post by Fatman »

Ryan

So is your pump gas sb2.2 motor is running 150+mph in 3000lbs with a holley 950HP? Has it seen a dyno? Would take about 800 hp to run those numbers wouldn't it? Well done anyway!

I think troy was just trying to say that the 950HP is a small (about 1.4") venturi with an 850 sized baseplate under it.
Troy Patterson
Guru
Guru
Re: -

Post by Troy Patterson »

flyin ryan wrote:
Troy Patterson wrote:
flyin ryan wrote:
Sorry flyin ryan, I should have also said it was impressive as it was. I was just pointing out that there was more in it.

Troy Patterson TMPCarbs.net TMP Carbs
RayJE Carburetors
Pro
Pro

Post by RayJE Carburetors »

welcome back troy... i havent seen you post in a long time ....
flyin ryan
Pro
Pro

Post by flyin ryan »

Troy Patterson wrote:
flyin ryan wrote:
Troy Patterson wrote:
Thanks Troy, & i DO agree with you. there's more in everything. that's our game & why we're on here, right. sorry if i came off like i was too sensitive, sometimes that happens on these boards. nothing wrong with constructive criticism in my books :) .
There are no limit's to mans' ingenuity, just as mans' ingenuity will never conquer the forces & behavior of this planet....Smokey Y.
flyin ryan
Pro
Pro

Post by flyin ryan »

Fatman wrote:Ryan

So is your pump gas sb2.2 motor is running 150+mph in 3000lbs with a holley 950HP? Has it seen a dyno? Would take about 800 hp to run those numbers wouldn't it? Well done anyway!

I think troy was just trying to say that the 950HP is a small (about 1.4") venturi with an 850 sized baseplate under it.
Not an SB2.2, it's a Dart Little Chief, kinda the same only different :lol: . like i was saying earlier, i've only had it down the track a few times before the wheelstand incident. ran 151 MPH, can't remember...three or four times anyways. it's the same 950 Holley HP i ran on my 395. after the wheelie i sent the carb to my guy, Bob Book, to let him have a look at it. he did a few things to it, not a bunch. i've not had it back on the dyno since the carb work though. ya...makes over 800 HP on pump gas with a Dart cast single four, the manifold is not doing me any favors, thats a fact.
BTW, i understood what Troy meant.
Fatman
Guru
Guru
-

Post by Fatman »

don't know why i was thinking sb2.2.

Will this motor see a dominator? or a bigger venturi 4150? I'd love to see its full potential on pump.

Have you posted about it on any other forums. I'd like to read about the build.
Troy Patterson
Guru
Guru
Post by Troy Patterson »

Thanks Ray, been pretty busy with life and working.

No problem flyin ryan. I've done the same.

flyin ryan
Pro
Pro

Post by flyin ryan »

Troy Patterson wrote:
No problem flyin ryan. I've done the same.

cool, :wink:
flyin ryan
Pro
Pro

Post by flyin ryan »

Fatman wrote:don't know why i was thinking sb2.2.

Will this motor see a dominator? or a bigger venturi 4150? I'd love to see its full potential on pump.

Have you posted about it on any other forums. I'd like to read about the build.
No, it'll never see a Dominator. one of the reasons is i have my air pan built into the underside of the cowl hood, so if i lift the hood all you see is carb, tough to get a perfect seal though :oops: , it's a Corvette with the factory style front hinge/rear lift hood. i use an old Hartman base that has a very nice radius (Comp bought them out years ago) that is epoxied to my hood. when i did my wheelie i busted that base all to hell. well Comp quit building that old Hartman stuff a few years ago. luckly Chris Mays at Comp was able to find a couple stashed in their warehouse, thankfully :wink: . a larger venturi 4150 is definatly an option, still have a few bugs to work out until i get to that point though.
i posted a few things, although i didn't start the thread, i think it's under 'dart little chief vs. sb 2.2' can try that. i can e-mail you a few pics if you PM me your address, if you like.
new engine builder
Expert
Expert
Post by new engine builder »

tod85 wrote:
new engine builder wrote:
tod85 wrote:I'm curious as to what is the most power you can make with a 23 degree head with a hyd roller cam these days ? I know some of the newer extreme hyd roller cams coming from competion cams have some pretty agressive lobes.....
A well known engine builder from Ohio claims out of a 434 on pump gas with Dart 230 cc heads,hyd. roller,619 hp at 6,400 rpms and 568 lbs. of torque at 4,900 rpms.
do you know what cam spec they are using on that ?

Thanks for the info !
Sorry,I don't.
I doubt he would ever tell. :wink:
Troy Patterson
Guru
Guru
23 degree head max output

Post by Troy Patterson »

flyin ryan - when it comes time, I could build you some 4150's that flowed more than 1100 cfm each. A bit unconventional, but the engine doesn't care.

flyin ryan
Pro
Pro

Re: 23 degree head max output

Post by flyin ryan »

Troy Patterson wrote:flyin ryan - when it comes time, I could build you some 4150's that flowed more than 1100 cfm each. A bit unconventional, but the engine doesn't care.

Un-conventional is my middle name. I 'will' keep that in mind. thanks for the offer, Troy :hello2: