SB2 cooling help.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Jackstand
SB2 cooling help.

Post by Jackstand »

a friend has these SB2 heads, that have two cooling ports.. they both go to the same place but the smaller has tube going towards the center of the head? we planned to run the back to the radiator pulling hot water out of the head.

Any suggestions would be aweseome!

stealth
Guru
Guru
Post by stealth »

Normally that port will go to the inlet side of the pump (top of pump suction side, where OEM heater hose port) Is your block drilled for the spark plug cooling holes in the head?
robert1
Guru
Guru

Post by robert1 »

I put water in at that #8 fitting off of the water pump on each side.
cboggs
Guru
Guru

Post by cboggs »

Both of those should go to the water RETURN or radiator to pull
hot water OUT , ..

one with the brass tube goes to the deck between the center ex ports
to keep from blowing the gasket there, .. the other pulls water
from the water jacket in the center, ..

Curtis
Race Flow Development
Simultaneous 5-axis CNC Porting
http://www.raceflowdevelopment.com
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

Drag race or circle track? Here is some other cooling info for SB2's.
viewtopic.php?t=7018
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
Lockwire
Expert
Expert

Re: SB2 cooling help.

Post by Lockwire »

[quote="Jackstand"]a friend has these SB2 heads, that have two cooling ports.. they both go to the same place but the smaller has tube going towards the center of the head? we planned to run the back to the radiator pulling hot water out of the head.

I can tell you this. These water conduits are supplied from the outlet side of the water pump ( presure ) and push water ( intake temperature ) between the two exhaust valves to stop overheating the gasket at that point causing the gasket to fail. The hole or port goes between the two chambers to the intake side. This is not new and SB2 is not the only head that needs this modification. The large one pulls water. Stuart.
Jackstand
Post by Jackstand »

thanks Curtis, that what i thought
jmarkaudio wrote:Drag race or circle track? Here is some other cooling info for SB2's.
viewtopic.php?t=7018
100mm turbo street car :lol: Might see a few local radial races. Thanks mark , I have already read all sb2 discussions on here!! I just didnt see anything on the two ports so i thought i would ask.

I have read conflicting info on weather to drill the block for coolant holes, did you do that on your motor, or just weld them up?
cboggs
Guru
Guru

Post by cboggs »

Jackstand wrote:thanks Curtis, that what i thought

I have read conflicting info on weather to drill the block for coolant holes, did you do that on your motor, or just weld them up?
Sure, ..

I'd drill the block, . . simple to do and you can't have enough cooling, ..
you are talking about the plug cooling holes right?

c
Race Flow Development
Simultaneous 5-axis CNC Porting
http://www.raceflowdevelopment.com
Racerrick
Expert
Expert
Post by Racerrick »

Those ports are there to put the coldest water possible between the 2 exhuast ports and that is from pump its done to the help the head gasket live. Every one does that mod to sbc oval track motor.
robert1
Guru
Guru

Post by robert1 »

Someone is going to read this and pull water out here into the top of the water pump. Don't do it. You will then be bypassing the radiator and putting the hottest water the engine makes directly into the water pump and mixing it with water drawn from the radiator.
Racerrick
Expert
Expert
Post by Racerrick »

http://www.stewartcomponents.net/Mercha ... de=ChevyS4
That link has a picture of were the 2 threaded bosses are located on the side pump for external water feed to the heads.
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

Yes I drilled mine, and plan to on my aluminum block.
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
ProGSX
Post by ProGSX »

Just watching....
Jeff
stealth
Guru
Guru
Post by stealth »

robert1 wrote:Someone is going to read this and pull water out here into the top of the water pump. Don't do it. You will then be bypassing the radiator and putting the hottest water the engine makes directly into the water pump and mixing it with water drawn from the radiator.

topic discussed please see:

viewtopic.php?t=12947&highlight=sb2+cooling

Also. check how the cup cars are built. You'll see two water lines piped to the exact location i mentioned.

It sounds logical to pump water in there, but how much water at say 18psi can you pump into an area with say 18psi )…mmmm not going to flow much coolant ..pretty much deadheads…the suction side of the pump is less then the pressure inside block & heads, hence water will flow freely from area.

Obviously this relies on the entire cooling system including pumping water into the side of the block and not the front
Last edited by stealth on Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stealth
Guru
Guru
Post by stealth »

Racerrick wrote:http://www.stewartcomponents.net/Mercha ... de=ChevyS4
That link has a picture of were the 2 threaded bosses are located on the side pump for external water feed to the heads.
Yep..that is not a feed...that is the suction side of pump (the upper small ones on the sides), the larger ones are to feed coolant to the center of the block.