Need some help from the forum locating nitriding facility

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Jerry Poole
Need some help from the forum locating nitriding facility

Post by Jerry Poole »

I have 6 to 8 crankshafts that I want to nitride. I live in northern Arkansas and have checked in Memphis, Tenn. and Little Rock, Arkansas and have found no service. There is a facility in Little Rock, Arkansas that nitrides but has never any done any auto crankshafts. (says he would do the work , but at my own risk.) I located one service but they cannot treat to the full 0.010"-0.020" that I desire. Any suggestions from the forum as to a facility say in St, Louis, Mo. or maybe Tulsa, Oklahoma that has experience with cranks? Thanks for any help. Jerry
Doug Kennedy

Post by Doug Kennedy »

Jerry,
Try 248-628-9790 and ask for Craig. They are in the detroit area I believe
Row Z

Nitride

Post by Row Z »

"NITREX INC. - Michigan Operations"
(formerly Nitrex Metal Technologies Inc.)
822 Kim Drive, P.O. Box 155
Mason, MI 48854
Contact person: Mr. David Buck
Tel: 517-676-6370 ▪ Fax 517-676-6427
email: michigan@nitrex.com

Nitrex does production crank nitride, but will look after racers as well.
We have yet to send them a crank, but plan to use them when we need the next one done.
RW TECH
Guru
Guru

Post by RW TECH »

Another MI option is Moldex. They have the low temperature nitriding process nailed down completely.
user-z68766209

Post by user-z68766209 »

Try Winberg Cranks Denver Co.
Brian B
Dakota Parts Warehouse
The Ferrea Valve Guy
Now Stocking *HYLOMAR*
877 235 2832
The Dark Side of Will
Expert
Expert

Re: Need some help from the forum locating nitriding facility

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Back from the dead threadsurrection!

I'm looking for a place to nitride and micro-polish the factory forged crankshaft from the '06-'09 4.4 liter supercharged Cadillac Northstar.
I'm in VA and can ship to the Detroit area, but it would be great to find somewhere more local.
j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c »

Aren't currently, there are two distinct Nitride processes, one being plasma (?), and not often offered by same vendor, and both have their own attributes?

So that should be it seems a decision first made?
ijames
Expert
Expert

Post by ijames »

I don't know who they use, but Burtonsville Performance Machine in Burtonsville, MD polishes cranks and then sends them out for nitriding. I was going to have my stock cast Buick 3.8 crank done, but the inconsiderate jerks magnafluxed it before starting the polishing and found two tiny cracks #-o :mrgreen: . From yellowpages.com: 5210 Minnick Rd, Laurel, MD 20707, (301) 490-3131 - that's just off I95 between DC and Baltimore. Worth a call, at least, if you are in northern VA.
Carl Ijames, chemist not engine builder
carl ddott ijames aatt verizon ddott net
The Dark Side of Will
Expert
Expert

j-c-c wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:16 am Aren't currently, there are two distinct Nitride processes, one being plasma (?), and not often offered by same vendor, and both have their own attributes?

So that should be it seems a decision first made?
It's a ready to install crank and I don't want to incur a bearing turn on it if avoidable. I understood the low temp/gas nitride process could work on a nearly ready to install crank. I need to talk to an expert to find out if the micro-polishing process can clean up any irregularities from the gas nitriding process.
ijames wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:18 am I don't know who they use, but Burtonsville Performance Machine in Burtonsville, MD polishes cranks and then sends them out for nitriding. I was going to have my stock cast Buick 3.8 crank done, but the inconsiderate jerks magnafluxed it before starting the polishing and found two tiny cracks #-o :mrgreen: . From yellowpages.com: 5210 Minnick Rd, Laurel, MD 20707, (301) 490-3131 - that's just off I95 between DC and Baltimore. Worth a call, at least, if you are in northern VA.
Thanks! I'll give them a call. I live in Springfield, VA, so they're not so far.
Roundybout
Pro
Pro

Post by Roundybout »

I don’t know what you consider local (seems everything local to me is a 4-6 hour drive)
Few of the local racers use them. Very quick turn around too.

Mid-South Metallurgical
742 Old Salem Road
Murfreesboro, TN 37129
Tel: 615-896-6212
Fax: 615-896-6231
info@midsouthmet.com
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

Bodycote has many locations...I used them here in NY for a motorcycle crank...Waiting to be treated were many crankshafts, local racers recomended the place.They used a process called ferritic nitrocarburizing. they wanted to know the type of forged steel, they chage by weight.. I've had other bike cranks done at a different place, they called it by the known name Tufftride....
The treating was done on fully machined cranks...I was told the journal size can increase slightly, about .0003...The shop machined the journals for this expected size increase...Nitriding can warp the crank a bit sometimes. One of the four I had done at different times needed to be straightened..
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
LoganD
Pro
Pro

Post by LoganD »

If you want US based, Moldex and Kellogg are no question the best for nitriding depth. I've had Moldex do 1mm depth.
The Dark Side of Will
Expert
Expert

LoganD wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:36 am If you want US based, Moldex and Kellogg are no question the best for nitriding depth. I've had Moldex do 1mm depth.
Fancy meeting you here.
LoganD
Pro
Pro

Post by LoganD »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:57 am
LoganD wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:36 am If you want US based, Moldex and Kellogg are no question the best for nitriding depth. I've had Moldex do 1mm depth.
Fancy meeting you here.
I've been here under various names for years!
Jagdpanzer
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Jagdpanzer »

Check with Lloyd at Springfield Custom Auto Machining.
He does crank polishing and surly knows of the local nitriding sources.
http://www.customautomachine.com/