Elgin valves for a solid roller application?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru
Elgin valves for a solid roller application?

Post by Bob Hollinshead »

I've got a set of stainless G.M. 2.19/1.88 BBC valves made by Elgin. These were sold by Competition Products as GM take-out valves. Do you think they'll handle the spring pressures of a solid roller application?
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

Is it worth the risk? I wouldn't. Unless you plan to drive it only on the street.
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru
Post by Bob Hollinshead »

Why?-budget and this project took some unknown turns. I know there's alot of engines with only 11/32" stem valves and large spring pressures being run hard without failure-but probably a quality valve. Being these are the full size 3/8" stem valves I though they may work OK? Thought maybe others here may have used them and could let me know.
RW TECH
Guru
Guru

Post by RW TECH »

Run them & let us know how it turns out. :)
rmcomprandy

Post by rmcomprandy »

The valves sold by ELGIN are comparable to the Ferrea 6000 series, (not Competition series), or the Manley Race Master series, (not Extreme Duty series).
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

I have used the Elgin 11/32 stems and had no issues.
In a roller application as you are using I would step up in quality.
I used the in street/race stuff with less than 425 open pressure in flat tappet setups and they have been beat to death. No breakage but not on a roller deal.
] It's your engine and wallet so you make the call.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
falcongeorge
Expert
Expert

Re:

Post by falcongeorge »

ProPower engines wrote: Sat May 23, 2009 4:09 pm I have used the Elgin 11/32 stems and had no issues.
In a roller application as you are using I would step up in quality.
I used the in street/race stuff with less than 425 open pressure in flat tappet setups and they have been beat to death. No breakage but not on a roller deal.
] It's your engine and wallet so you make the call.
As an example, I have two 327's. Engine #1-.480 lift Isky hyd, 1.6 intake stamped rockers, "Z-28" springs, 325 over the nose, 6700-6800 rpm, Elgin valves. Engine #2- Glenn Steyers .654 roller, 1.65 intake roller rockers, stud girdle, lash caps, 475 over the nose, 7800-8000 rpm, Manley valves. Your mileage may vary.
Honestly, they'll probably work fine. But have you ever had a valve come apart at rpm? I have, and the consequences do not bear thinking about.
marvingvx

Re: Elgin valves for a solid roller application?

Post by marvingvx »

I'd use them as long as it wasn't an endurance application. I keep your spring pressures under 600 pounds.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: Elgin valves for a solid roller application?

Post by ProPower engines »

You have to ask yourself this,
If they are take outs why did they swap them for a different valve in assembled heads??
This is not really the beast way to go if they know something about these valves in question right. [-X
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors