Camshaft breakin, specifically flat tappet stuff.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Lasher...
Post by Lasher... »

I also have not heard of any failiers of dist gears that could be oil related.

Learner,

I have sent in several samples but they were all done last year (2003) and all were SL rated oils. The only oil I have left that is real old is some old SE rated straight 30 weight HD oil in cans....but there is a tad bit of rust on them and therefore likely contaminated.

If I may make a plug here. There is a website / Forum that deals with this subject in a FAR more indepth mannor.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com

I found BITOG.com a little over a year ago and I was amazed at just how complex oil really is. I thought I had at least a basic idea of oils.... How wrong I was.... I truely had no clue.

After finding Speed Talk .com I purchased the CD's of the interview of Terry Dyson.... Terry is an oil GURU who is often found at BITOG.com. As I had already read many of Terry's posts at that forum it was quite intresting to hear the interviews. With the basics I had learned at BITOG it made for very easy listening of the Terry Dyson Interview.

Since the world of oil is likely going to be changed here soon as the EPA and the big car mfgs fight for more oil related changes it will likely effect all of us.
RedRacer

Post by RedRacer »

Bringing this old topic back to life - Chris, can you tell me where the "Mauressa lifter" is sold, or shed some light on it? Thanks RR.
user-z68766209

Post by user-z68766209 »

Coming real soon Ferrea soild lifter
68 grams, just finnish 1 million cycle test.
Brian B
user-z68766209

Post by user-z68766209 »

Chris
The Ferrea's are not the same as the PPP.
Just want to clarify.
PPP hold oil Ferrea's do not
Brian B
user-z68766209

Post by user-z68766209 »

Chris
No it is not a Schubeck style.
Ferrea's is made from 8620 one peice forged
Brian B
RedRacer

Post by RedRacer »

Thanks for the info Chris. Do those Marussa lifters have any special markings to distinguish them from the "other" inferior lifters out there
RR
RedRacer

Post by RedRacer »

Thanks Chris, that sounds like the lifter we have been using from GM, maybe that is where they are getting it made,
RR

Post by Guest »

We've been using the Koolface lifters, but have been using Rotella T, as the over the road truck oils seem to do better, as the compunds removed from automotive oil are still in OTR truck oil.

Also, the break in is still important (1.2 rockers, inner spring removed, etc...)