Red carb gaskets

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

fastvette
Expert
Expert

Red carb gaskets

Post by fastvette »

Who makes the red bowl and metering block gaskets that are in the BRE carbs? Are they anything special?

Randy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itIITBanJDs
http://www.harshmanauto.com
Dodge Freak
Guru
Guru
Post by Dodge Freak »

On my Demon carb I replaced both red metering gaskets with some brown ones I got on E-bay cause the float gaskets were getting rough.

Bad idea, motor ran good at first but then started to have a choppy idle. I re tighten the bowls but it just helped for a short time. 2 idle screws had no effect, the other 2 were limited.

I put the old red metering gaskets back on, problem solved (and no, I seen nothing blocking any passages, the brown metering block gaskets just didn't seal.
Drag Chevette
Pro
Pro
Re: Red carb gaskets

Post by Drag Chevette »

fastvette wrote:Who makes the red bowl and metering block gaskets that are in the BRE carbs? Are they anything special?

Randy
\

red gaskets are non stick gaskets that come from Barry Grant or BLP.

they do stick sometimes and you should use some lip balm (chapstick) on the surface to prevent sticking.

they are the same as the holley blue.....
WeingartnerRacing
Expert
Expert

Post by WeingartnerRacing »

Drag Chevette wrote:
fastvette wrote:Who makes the red bowl and metering block gaskets that are in the BRE carbs? Are they anything special?

Randy
\

they do stick sometimes and you should use some lip balm (chapstick) on the surface to prevent sticking.

They stick everytime I disassemble a Demon if they have no gas in them.
Eric Weingartner
Weingartner Racing LLC
918-520-3480
www.wengines.com
RayJE Carburetors
Pro
Pro

Post by RayJE Carburetors »

spray on some cooking oil during assembly and they will come apart easily
mbrooks
Expert
Expert

Post by mbrooks »

what is with the chapstick and cooking oil, petro products mess them up?
Dodge Freak
Guru
Guru
Post by Dodge Freak »

I rather have the gaskets stick than not seal 100% and have a choppy idle like those cheap brown Ebay gaskets I just had.

Most times you don't need to remove the metering block unless to change the power valve. For jet changes just remove the fuel bowl--were chap stick, cooking oil, etc could be useful.
SMITHBERGRACING
Guru
Guru

Post by SMITHBERGRACING »

SCE Gaskets also make red ones.
jdavis
Pro
Pro
Post by jdavis »

mbrooks wrote:what is with the chapstick and cooking oil, petro products mess them up?
When the gasket seals up the gas wont get to the part that seals. The part that seals is the part that sticks, so by adding a bit of film to that then the gasket doesn't stick.

I had a set of those demon gaskets stick the worst I have ever seen before. The gasket literally tore in half so i had junk to scrape off of all surfaces #-o. Most of the time when that happens though its because a carb has sat dry after some use for a long time and its actually the old dried up gas working as a glue.
mbrooks
Expert
Expert

Post by mbrooks »

guess i should have said grease. i agree, bg red gaskets stick pretty bad. i switched to the holley blue and used a little grease on the last set since there was some sitting around. no problems so far.
norm

Post by norm »

i always just shoot em with wd40 and they come apart good. so far.
jdavis
Pro
Pro
Post by jdavis »

mbrooks wrote:guess i should have said grease. i agree, bg red gaskets stick pretty bad. i switched to the holley blue and used a little grease on the last set since there was some sitting around. no problems so far.
I see what you mean now, not why are we using lube but why those products. Grease works fine too its just more of a pain than stealing the old ladies chapstick and I don't need a rag after I get done.
trmnatr

Post by trmnatr »

Drag Chevette wrote:

Randy
\

The BLP gaskets seem to be different than the BG gaskets, The BG always stick but i have not had the BLP's stick and the price is right when you buy a good amount of them