Any distributor machine users here?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Circlotron
Guru
Guru

Re: Any distributor machine users here?

Post by Circlotron »

Best thing you can do if you are updating an old machine, or even building a new one for that matter is to use a small 3 phase induction motor and matching speed controller. Make sure the motor is a flange mount type so it will bolt up to the underside of the flat panel that the shaft pokes through. The machines I've seen mostly have a rotating white painted arrow that gets illuminated by a flashing strobe to make it appear to point somewhere along an annular degree scale. Mine has a rotating pointy electrode instead of a painted arrow and the spark jumps from this point across a 3.5mm gap to the degree scale. The advantage here is you can immediately see the spark duration at different rpms. For example, when an MSD6 reverts to a single spark above 3000rpm you can clearly see the spark duration is 1 degree per 1000rpm i.e. 3 deg @ 3000rpm. Way way short of the 20 deg they claim. Also good for sorting the what from the chaff with various ignition modules. Some are pretty good, others just down right useless.
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

I'll snap a pic of mine in the next few days including the pressure chamber. Checking signals is great and I have plenty of scopes, all necessary at some time or another. Picoscope is very nice, however, the good priced Sperytech is pretty good too and is in my laptop bag when I need it. On the distributor machine I use a timing light with the spark plug wires, on the distributor to an air gap or the pressure chamber, for advance checking/correcting. Much more real world. To each his own :)
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
splinter

Post by splinter »

Had one in HS shop. Great Sunnen machine.

Having read about recurving in the enthusiasts magazines my timing light was soon getting a workout.
Degreed dampers on the DIY with a timing tape to verify my eyes were seemingly flashing too.
Pitched our teacher on a then-new HEI adaptor.

Lots of response, driveability and decresed fuel consumption from 'ideal' spark timimg.
Now it's a keyboard tune but what's the fun in that?
Otter45

Post by Otter45 »

Hello all, getting back to the original post does anyone have any info on the parts list and wiring diagram needed to use a Dl-32 to adapt to a distributor machine. The innovate forum is long gone and would like to update my sun 504. Any help would be great. Regards,

Kevin
allencr267
Pro
Pro

Post by allencr267 »

Otter45

Post by Otter45 »

Thanks for trying to help allencr267 but the links for the attachments are not working any more.

Kevin
V12MECH

Post by V12MECH »

Autel MP 408, 4 channel deal, $350-500 with lead kit, works with any good laptop , might want to check it out.
Otter45

Post by Otter45 »

V12mech have you used the Autel for plotting timing curves or for fault finding on ignition systems? Definitely sounds interesting
!
V12MECH

Post by V12MECH »

We use the 408 for sensor outputs, crank angle sensors, injector patterns,etc., And for secondary ignition patterns, Hantek ht25 , a secondary ignition probe we find useful .Lot of info on net for this gem.
Otter45

Post by Otter45 »

Thanks for the info ! I will do some more digging!