Winters Foundry , Snowflake logo

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

AnTra

Winters Foundry , Snowflake logo

Post by AnTra »

Hi all of you that has been around for some while.

I have a "historical" question regarding the Winters foundry that produced aluminum parts for GM but what i´ve heard also for other brands.

Is there somebody out there who can tell me what brands they did produce for?, i know i have a Holley strip Dominator BBC intake with the snowflake logo but:

1. Did they make Aluminium heads for other brands than stock GM?.
2. Did they make intake etc as well for others then Holley?.

Thanks, interesting to find out as i know there are alot people here that can tell.

AnTra
GerryP
Re: Winters Foundry , Snowflake logo

Post by GerryP »

Not a very romantic story, but Winters Foundry was a business and cast parts for anyone who wanted their services. As you note, your Holley was made by Winters, but this must be an older intake since Winters stopped pouring Holley intakes sometime in the late '80s. The story is not all that much different for Buddy Barr, who was Ford's small production casting source.
John Wallace
Guru
Guru

Post by John Wallace »

Winters made the factory aluminum intakes for Pontiac.

:)
John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !
www.wallaceracing.com
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

And just so you're aware...Winters and GM must have "licensed" the logo; there are "reproduction" intake manifolds being sold with the Winters logo, but they aren't made by Winters.

The GM licensing program is allowing a lot of "official" junk parts out into the world; and GM is too money-hungry to care.
Solid LT1

Post by Solid LT1 »

Schurkey wrote:And just so you're aware...Winters and GM must have "licensed" the logo; there are "reproduction" intake manifolds being sold with the Winters logo, but they aren't made by Winters.

The GM licensing program is allowing a lot of "official" junk parts out into the world; and GM is too money-hungry to care.
I have to agree with that one, the reproduction Z/28 X-rams are really FUNKY compared to the Winters manifolds, must be a second rate Chinese foundry doing that work #-o
AnTra

Post by AnTra »

Thanks for the replies, but still no reply regarding if they made any other BBC-heads in aluminum for other brands?. :roll:
peglegrice

Post by peglegrice »

Winters did in fact make many of GM's Aluminum parts. I worked there from 1973 to 1979 and again in the late 80's.
We made BB heads, Pontiac manifolds, Holley manifolds, Chevy Can Am and ZL1 blocks, They had also made the early 60's Fuel injection manifolds, the Z28 cross rams, BB chevy intakes and even an early V 10 block for the Viper.
Later stuff included Chevy FI intakes ditto Ford and Lincoln, Cosworth Vega heads and manifolds. Was a fun job.
The Company is no longer in business and the building is now a "Fun House"
Peglegrice
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Where was Winters located?
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Any relation to Vaughn Winters quick change rear business?
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

Winters cast much of the GM high performance aluminum parts, such as intake manifolds, some heads, water pump housings, etc. A very few of the Holley offerings.

Buddy Barr foundry is located in Southern California and does much of the aluminum casting for manufacturers in the area such as Offenhauser, Weiand (prior to acquisition by Holley) and others. I think that they may have cast some Edelbrock parts before Edelbrock opened their own aluminum foundry.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
makin chips
Pro
Pro

Post by makin chips »

engineguyBill wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:41 pm Winters cast much of the GM high performance aluminum parts, such as intake manifolds, some heads, water pump housings, etc. A very few of the Holley offerings.

Buddy Barr foundry is located in Southern California and does much of the aluminum casting for manufacturers in the area such as Offenhauser, Weiand (prior to acquisition by Holley) and others. I think that they may have cast some Edelbrock parts before Edelbrock opened their own aluminum foundry.
Never heard that about Buddy Barr and Edelbrock. They did cast parts for Ford, though. Much like Winters did for GM. In fact, that's who I associate with BB the most...Ford.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

makin chips wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:54 pm Never heard that about Buddy Barr and Edelbrock. They did cast parts for Ford, though. Much like Winters did for GM. In fact, that's who I associate with BB the most...Ford.
Yes, they did casting for Edelbrock.
There was a time many years ago, that if you went through the pattern storage area at Buddy Barr it was like a museum of history of aftermarket engine castings. They got rid of most of them at one point around 2006. Most of them were wood and falling apart anyhow.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

Joe Facciano
makin chips
Pro
Pro

Post by makin chips »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:47 pm
makin chips wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:54 pm Never heard that about Buddy Barr and Edelbrock. They did cast parts for Ford, though. Much like Winters did for GM. In fact, that's who I associate with BB the most...Ford.
Yes, they did casting for Edelbrock.
There was a time many years ago, that if you went through the pattern storage area at Buddy Barr it was like a museum of history of aftermarket engine castings. They got rid of most of them at one point around 2006. Most of them were wood and falling apart anyhow.
I actually did find some stuff to support this after you posted this. For example, it appears that the Edelbrock OL4B Olds intake manifold was cast at Buddy Bar. I'm sure if there's 1 style, there's likely more. I appreciate the info. Learned something new today.
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

Yes, as I recall Buddy Barr did the casting of Shelby's line of Ford parts, i.e. intake manifolds, valve covers, air cleaner tops and some really cool oil pans too.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist