Chinese or US?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

tonyg64

Chinese or US?

Post by tonyg64 »

Hi all after reading rabbits' thread on which rotating assembly i think we need a thread on what make rods are made in the US and which are chinese (or other}

So if we can get definate answers ill add them to the list and try to keep in one post.

Ill start with Eagle------- china (if im wrong please feel free to correct me :D

Tony
Mpcoluv
Pro
Pro
Re: Chinese or US?

Post by Mpcoluv »

Here's what I know
Chinese:
SCAT
Eagle
Pro-Comp
Manley
RPM
Probe
Various others privately Labeled

USA:
Carillo
Crower
Lentz
Dyers
Howards?

Dependin on you application, people have had success with SCAT/Eagle/Probe.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Harder to determine but more critical is actual quality. The Chinese/Asians are fully capable of matching N.A. standards (you don't build nuclear weapons or spacecraft in blacksmith shops), for anyone that pays for it and keeps a beady eye on the finished product, but they raise the old aphorism: "There's no product that can't be made cheaper and worse." to near-religious status for those that care for nothing but the price. #-o
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
tonyg64

Post by tonyg64 »

Mpcoluv, thanks for the start. Any more like to add any more?
Whilst i agree rods can be made anywhere and still be fine there maybe too much distance involved to properly check quality control.
Ive been using eagle rods in sport compact for years and they have been very good, but lately (last 18months or so im seeing pin bush not as smooth as previously ie i have to use a deburr tool to clean up one side before the pin with slide through easily. Tolerances seem to be ok so far though.

Tony
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

How much HP? Endurance or Drag race? RPM?

I hope you're not talking about "bolt in". If so, neither applies.
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
blue88

Post by blue88 »

Some of Howard's stuff is made in good ole USA....
Last edited by blue88 on Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dfree383
Guru
Guru

Post by dfree383 »

Oliver = USA
GuysMonteSS
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GuysMonteSS »

Where are Lunati rods & cranks made ???
Guy
'86 Monte SS,513 BBC,AFR heads,Bullet solid roller cam,Doug Nash 4+1 5 speed,Hurst Inline Shifter,Ford 9 inch Rearend.
Engguy
Guru
Guru

Post by Engguy »

MadBill wrote:Harder to determine but more critical is actual quality. The Chinese/Asians are fully capable of matching N.A. standards #-o
Sure they are, but the people doing the work don't care. Nor do the big wig owners. Why should they? Said it before and I'll say it again. They know they can build racing parts outa wrought iron if they want to, because once its shipped to the good ole US the only way its gona come back to them is in a huge scrap ship. Once the cash is in hand why would they care. Just remember the Pet food deal, and the poor folks that lost their loved animals. Yeah they could have made good food but why, its for those stupid americans across the big drink. They also get to make our bandages, our protective rubber gloves fresh with wart viruses already installed, been there done that. Yeah wonderful deal nafta is.
Funny thing though the last set of tires I got for cheap at the tire dealer, were made in US, I guess the law suits that came from the bad china tires just wasn't worth it. I just hope the companys that do business with those criminals finally wake up and see it aint cheaper to make it in china, when you get stuck with the law suits and the returns, and the lost business etc.
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

Engguy wrote:I just hope the companys that do business with those criminals finally wake up
God bless you. The Communists, and the Communist Collaborators in the USA are eating us alive.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Engguy wrote:... Just remember the Pet food deal, and the poor folks that lost their loved animals. Yeah they could have made good food but why, its for those stupid americans across the big drink. They also get to make our bandages, our protective rubber gloves fresh with wart viruses already installed, been there done that...
...toxic drywall, lead-painted toys, it just doesn't stop... #-o
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
iadr
Expert
Expert

Post by iadr »

Dissappearance of Chinese tires might also have to do with the union spec'd laws assessing them 35+ percent duty, mmm?
I work in a car dealership that sells ~1000 tires/year. No we don't make our living at it, but it's a healthy sideline, enough to see trends clearly.
I default to "GT Radial" when someoen wants a value tire- generic name, Chinese made, & so much better balance and durability than Kelly brand US made or several other low end US brands, but Kelly particularly, that it's just a whole 'nother league of quality. Kelly's are horrible. GT Radial, I don't see a major imbalance or tread separation in 1500 tires. I see one on every 50 or 60 Kelly's. Kelly's cost 5-10% more, too, and are measureably under width for their size
http://articles.latimes.com/2009/sep/13 ... na-trade13
Now do the Kelly plants have unfairly higher overhead due to labour rates and enviro regulations? Yep, you have a point there.
Not sure I want to support a blanket policy of tearing up the enviro regs, nor paying people less than a dollar a day, so what's your answer?

BTW, check where your Uniroyals are made... ;) Think that's a US brand- not for several years now...

If you were a multinational tire manufacturer, where would you build a tire plant?
Engguy wrote:
MadBill wrote:Harder to determine but more critical is actual quality. The Chinese/Asians are fully capable of matching N.A. standards #-o
Sure they are, but the people doing the work don't care. Nor do the big wig owners. Why should they? Said it before and I'll say it again. They know they can build racing parts outa wrought iron if they want to, because once its shipped to the good ole US the only way its gona come back to them is in a huge scrap ship. Once the cash is in hand why would they care. Just remember the Pet food deal, and the poor folks that lost their loved animals. Yeah they could have made good food but why, its for those stupid americans across the big drink. They also get to make our bandages, our protective rubber gloves fresh with wart viruses already installed, been there done that. Yeah wonderful deal nafta is.
Funny thing though the last set of tires I got for cheap at the tire dealer, were made in US, I guess the law suits that came from the bad china tires just wasn't worth it. I just hope the companys that do business with those criminals finally wake up and see it aint cheaper to make it in china, when you get stuck with the law suits and the returns, and the lost business etc.
user-9613590

Post by user-9613590 »

Just check these and place your order..

http://www.alibaba.com/Connecting-Rod_pid100006309
Abbottracingheads
Expert
Expert

Post by Abbottracingheads »

You forgot Callies, they have both kinds. They final machine their Chinese stuff here and their quality control is much better than most. Eagle is the worst.
Abbott Racing Heads and Engines
347guy
Pro
Pro

Post by 347guy »

Abbottracingheads wrote: Eagle is the worst.
Eagle is a total joke. I just got a pile of there crap here, .0005 out of round and if you call them, thats there spec. I cant believe people still use that junk.