Re: Valve adjustment for dummies?

Post by nmustang »

my method like boz-race engines.
RCJ
Expert
Expert

Post by RCJ »

If you are having trouble with the lash moving around after a race that is a sign some thing is going wrong.Like a roller lifter wheel going bad.I thought I forgot how to adjust valves once ,next race a lift broke.
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

Another example along the line of Bill and CamKings posts,, I have a cam here in a BBF, its S/Roller, 337/328 seat to seat, runs .016" lash. for an experiment i lashed #1 cyl @ TDC- set at .016"
Then checked this cyl using ICEO method- and the lash ended up .006" & .004" looser than when set @ TDC.
Craig.
beaker60

Post by beaker60 »

CamKing wrote:If you want the 100% full proof "valve adjustment for dummies", do each valve one at a time.
What ever valve you are on, turn the engine over until the valve is at max lift, then turn the engine over 360 degrees and set that valve.
This puts you dead center on the base circle, with zero chance of being on the clearance ramp.
Mike,,I hope you can clear up all the junk,,I have been told over the years,,ok,,I understand your method and to me,,this is the one that makes the most sense,now,,once you have done the adjust to zero lash,,,whats you opinion on how much further to go past zero lash.I have heard 1/4 turn,,,1/2 turn,,,3/4 turn,,,0 turn,,,I've tried them all and none of them really ever seem to be correct,,but the 1/4 turn has seemed to be the best.I've had so many arguments about the correct turn past lash.So,,I'm counting on your expertise in this field to enlighten me,,cause I really don't know,,,and I would REALLY like to know,,,Thanks
Dodge Freak
Guru
Guru

Post by Dodge Freak »

CamKing wrote:If you want the 100% full proof "valve adjustment for dummies", do each valve one at a time.
What ever valve you are on, turn the engine over until the valve is at max lift, then turn the engine over 360 degrees and set that valve.
This puts you dead center on the base circle, with zero chance of being on the clearance ramp.

Sure this way is the slowest but seems the most idiot proof and with no spark plugs in and a remote starter switch and breaker bar might not take very long--and you know its right on!
CHT

Post by CHT »

In-Tech wrote:Boz's method is just fine, I don't care how big or who's cam it is. I do the "just as exhaust starts to open" and "anytime the intake is on its' way closed" method. If you have adjustment problems with that, you better have a look for a base circle runout problem.
ah yup X2 or is that 3