spark plugs

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Skip Honaker

spark plugs

Post by Skip Honaker »

I'm looking for help on spark plugs basicly what I need to start out with. I have a 355 chevy with dart sportman heads ported and polished 208 cc intake runner flow 275 with 2.08 valve. Exhaust flows 235 both flows at .700 lift. Intake is victor jr. with 775 gold claw. Compression is about 13 to 1. Roller cam 580 intake lift 600 exhaust running through 1 3/4 tube headers. I hope I gave anough info. My second queastion is about the Racing Engine Secrets book is this book any good or do you half to be a engine builder to understand what he has to say. I assemble my own engines out of the fact I can't afford to use a engine builder. I am not a engine builder but mine run pretty good and have won races but always looking for more information. This site is great and nice to see people take the time to answer question that most engine builder won't. :shock:
Walline

Post by Walline »

I start out with a middle of the heat range and adjust from there.. Other people may have a better method! I use NGK V power Race Plugs. If you want some really good info on plugs, Dons plug reading video and plug light is Awesome! As far as the Engine book. . . I am not a machinist, and do not have a machine shop, but the book is very good and informative. My only thought after buying it was (I WISH I HAD A MACHINE SHOP!!) Even though I am not a machinist, there was nothing in the book that I could not understand! Good info, makes yoou think! Let me know If I can be of anymore help!
speedtalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Post by speedtalk »

Hi Skip, thanks for joining the forum. I agree with Walline - start in the middle. I don't know if it's a drag car or not, but for me I keep everything I need to pull plugs at the long end in my back seat. I've also been using the NGKs lately.

And Walline, you just got added to my christmas card list :D
In Memory of Don Terrill
SpeedTalk Owner/Admin
Skip Honaker

spark plugs

Post by Skip Honaker »

Thankyou for answering my post and just to let you know I race oval track.