Do all these eBay Rockers Suck

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

thecarfarmer

Re: Do all these eBay Rockers Suck

Post by thecarfarmer »

You might want to watch this video on scorpion rockers.

They look like really pretty good pieces, however there are a couple of issues to take into account that would be good to know before dropping money...

https://youtu.be/s4-buG1qaac
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

thecarfarmer wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:53 pm You might want to watch this video on scorpion rockers.

They look like really pretty good pieces, however there are a couple of issues to take into account that would be good to know before dropping money...

LMFAO...

He just posts stuff time and time again, proving he doesn't have hardly any experience building engines.. Just wow.. and all the nut swingers will rattle his name off to the first person asking about heads without having any personal experience with his stuff.

Even Jesel and TD rockers sometimes need a bit of work .

These are a universal rocker arm.. they work well. And are half the price.
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

If I where you I would only listen to the guys with actual experience and have run any of the parts you might want to buy there are are guys that believe if you are not spending 2000.00 plus dollars on rockers anything else is junk.And as far as Chinese parts scat and eagle sell nothing but Chinese parts and there stuff is holding up fine.And I’m sure there are others those containers ships aren’t coming here empty and loading up with made in America stuff when they leave.
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

mt-engines wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:41 pm
thecarfarmer wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:53 pm You might want to watch this video on scorpion rockers.

LMFAO...

He just posts stuff time and time again, proving he doesn't have hardly any experience building engines.. Just wow.. and all the nut swingers will rattle his name off to the first person asking about heads without having any personal experience with his stuff.

Nice to know you are smarter than everyone else.
So much to do, so little time...
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

I know my Comp Pro Magnum roller rockers will not clear a 1.55 spring. Wonder who was smoking pot when they designed those. :lol:
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

rfoll wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:55 pm

LMFAO...

Thats not what I said.

I'm as smart as any of the guys that ACTUALLY do this stuff daily for a living.

Its literally part of building any performance non stock build engine. Do you guys really think this stuff is just bolt it together? Don't check anything and it will run?
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

1980RS wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:13 pm I know my Comp Pro Magnum roller rockers will not clear a 1.55 spring. Wonder who was smoking pot when they designed those. :lol:
You should make a YouTube and complain about it.....
Elroy
Pro
Pro

Post by Elroy »

mt-engines wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:33 pm

LMFAO...

Thats not what I said.

Its literally part of building any performance non stock build engine. Do you guys really think this stuff is just bolt it together? Don't check anything and it will run?
I agree. It is way more common to have to make things work than the other way around. And that doesnt always seem to be price sensitive.

I gave up assuming that shit was just gonna bolt together a very long time ago lol. And when i see someone get tripped up on something so small, its telling. And thats not being judgy, just the way i see it.

I was told when i was very young…..’if you can buy it and it all just bolts together, then you dont have shit'. And while that has improved some over the years. Its still true in many cases.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

Elroy wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:51 pm

I was told when i was very young…..’if you can buy it and it all just bolts together, then you dont have shit'. And while that has improved some over the years. Its still true in many cases.
Now you'll just have the same shit as everybody else.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

LMFAO...

Thats not what I said.

Erics posts lean towards helping the novice engine builder. You and I may know that most things need some work. "Bolt on performance " is a myth. I didn't see the need to insult the man on a public forum.
Bigchief632
Pro
Pro

Post by Bigchief632 »

rfoll wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:09 am
Thats not what I said.

Erics posts lean towards helping the novice engine builder. You and I may know that most things need some work. "Bolt on performance " is a myth. I didn't see the need to insult the man on a public forum.
I agree, mt might have been a bit harsh, but it was hard to watch. First off, those are high quality rockers. I've used at least half a dozen sets over the years, with zero issues. I've mocked them up on just about every common sbc head out there, Dart Pro 1's, Brodix Track 1's, the same chinese knock off he used in the video, RHS heads, Profiler 195 and 210 heads, World Products sportsman 2's, afr 195's, which means they will work on other afr heads, and even stock gm 993's. They will work on all those one way or the other. They are a universal fit. That's why they come with a pile of shims for under the stands, and the bolt holes are slotted. They don't know what head you have and or if you have a std length valve, or a +.100, +.200, etc, which will require a different set up, or which retainers, etc. They are also half price, and are really nice actually.

As far as the video, his gripes made me cringe kinda. The stands not clearing the studs? Really? Trim the 4 studs on each side. I can't count how many times I've had to do that. Many times the stud is longer than it needs to be, and a 1/4 inch or more extends past the nut. Trim it flush, problem solved, big deal. As far as the clearance of the edge of the rocker on the retainer, another one that I didn't understand what the "issue" is. They looked like +100 retainers, so that happens. Also, a simple lash cap will solve that problem, and, no, they won't fall off in your engine. I use them a lot. Obviously you will have to figure out which, or if, you need to run shims, to get the geometry right, based on valve lengths, etc. It's all part of it. As far as the 1 roller tip not perfectly lining up, that will not be a problem either, it will not wear out the guide. It was kinda weird though, how the one lined up perfect, but the other one didn't. That's likely the head, not the rockers. Those were chinese knock off's after all. But, I'd bet half will be perfect and the other half will be slightly off like in the video. BFD. Or add or subtract the shims on the one side to line the 4 up perfect. It's all part of "custom" engine building, you have to do the same shit with T&D or Jesel many times. I've had to modify stands, or clearance rockers, etc so they worked numerous times with Jesel or T&D, and those were made specifically for the head they were on, it happens.

The other thing nice about those rockers, for the money, they are .220 offset, which allows you to either move th port over a bit, or run a bigger diameter pushrod, with no clearancing, and or has solved a clearance issue with the pushrod, without clearancing. You can also run a .180 offset lifter, if you're using solid rollers, and have your pushrod almost back to straight, and it further helps clearance. Not trying to be to harsh on Eric, but I think he should have been more clear. It kinda sounded like a whine fest. They will work just fine. Custom engine building is about problem solving.
Maximum power using simple logic and common sense
Elroy
Pro
Pro

Post by Elroy »

rfoll wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:09 am Erics posts lean towards helping the novice engine builder. You and I may know that most things need some work. "Bolt on performance " is a myth. I didn't see the need to insult the man on a public forum.
I can see where your coming from. In my opinion though, what has run off a lot of the more talented people here, is people that are at the novice level telling people that are experienced how or why to do things. Then supporting their stance with links to videos, or statements by other people who are also novices posing as experts. And that can definitely be insulting to the professional as well.

I don't claim to have a solution. But i do know it keeps a lot of sharp people from posting. I regularly talk privately to these people. It seems to be an environment where the "people that don't do" tell the "people that do" how to do things. Im sure MT gets aggravated by that. Many others certainly do.

Currently there is a good chance here that if you were to post dyno results from a project, you could be told your results are wrong for not agreeing with a sim or a cheesy video of some kind.
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

.... A guy on facebook said....
amc fan
Expert
Expert

Post by amc fan »

I made special radius end mill to cut the underside closer to the fulcrum of the rocker to give more clearance on larger diameter springs.
I have had heads (HLR) that I had to move the rocker stud position with an endmill the tapped holes were in the wrong position fore and aft left to right. I plunged cut with the end mill to the right position and retaped it to 5/8"-11 and made my own flanged thread insert out of steel with a top to the proper height, so I did not need rocker stand shims.
Harland Sharp shaft rockers have adjustment shims so you can center the rockers roller left or right.
You can slot the stand base a tad also.
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

rarely should one rely upon that which he gains for relatively nuttin'