Do all these eBay Rockers Suck

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rally
Expert
Expert
Re: Do all these eBay Rockers Suck

Post by rally »

You get what you pay for. Me i buy USA made parts only. No way am i going to buy that offshore junk and that includes rods, cranks, heads, lifters, you name it. I will not buy Eagle, or any brand thats made overseas. Oh sure heard Eagle is good, not me. I will support my local USA Parts first and foremost.
ZIGGY
Guru
Guru

Post by ZIGGY »

Verrry difficult to be certain where a part was made. And what's true of a part today may not be tomorrow. That's my biggest heartburn as a hobby assembler. A good brand/piece that you have had good experience with suddenly goes to shit.
One of the many benefits of this board and the heavy-duty engine builder pro's who post here is that you often learn what products are problematic.
IDEALER

Post by IDEALER »

The great circus showmen and promoters (P.T. Barnum, Ringling, etc...) leaned that people love hyperbole. This is something not lost on Skip White.

Save up a little more for the Scorpion rockers...
Thanks for the replies, like I said I was going to go with the scorpions I was just curious wat everyone thought of these others and why so many of them are on the market... I didn't have a problem spending the 300 on them I just was curious and thought maybe for my 300 I could find some shaft rockers in that price range maybe...that worked.
Nitrousknob
Pro
Pro

Post by Nitrousknob »

Try Compitition products. Look for the Jim Miller Products rockers. Made in florida, real good products. I have some of his shaft rockers on a set of AFR 210s, they are real nice. You can google Jim Miller and find his website and check out his rocker arms and read all the articals he has posted, pretty interesting. Hope this helps
IDEALER

Post by IDEALER »

robert1
Guru
Guru

Post by robert1 »

See my last post about cheap poly locks. I bought the cheap stud mounted rockers to replace a set of these that one rocker broke on. They were relatively nice looking but the rocker broke in the middle of the body. They are Pro Comp which means they have found some way to make the cheesiest piece of junk even worse and cheaper. If the thought even crosses you mind that this stuff is too cheap there's your answer. The Pro Comp shaft rockers are a copy of the Crowers. Others have posted about failures with the same rocker. As far as application they were on a restricted motor that had a very small street roller to pull vacuum. 200 and 500 on springs. So I thought hey these will last the guy forever, WRONG!!! There are used Cranes on Ebay that will way out last this junk.
hodge
Expert
Expert

Post by hodge »

Go with the scorpions made USA and they back up their product
RAMM
Expert
Expert

Post by RAMM »

Shopboss wrote:We've had good results with the PRW brand.

Donny
Mr.Key I'm glad to see you posting, But are you saying that PRW's stuff is actually good? I have looked at their stuff and was fairly confident it was the same as the offshore junk you drown in on E-Bay. J.Rob
New and improved website under construction.Check the blog for relevant info
http://skmfxengines.blogspot.com/
IDEALER

Post by IDEALER »

We've had good results with the PRW brand.
This is why I asked cause I can't tell what is what from all the stuff I see online... I AM going with scorpions I was just trying to get some insight to see if they all suck...
hodge
Expert
Expert

Post by hodge »

I might be wrong but I think crane S&S will back up rebuilding the rockers even if they need work for a price but it would be worth it if needed before buying off shore junk
hodge
Expert
Expert

Post by hodge »

and if you need push rods Scorpion makes some of the best , they are broached ends not turned they have no grooves at all beautifull products also they're lifters are from johnson

8.90 et 154 mph pump gas all motor, mopar door car
new engine builder
Expert
Expert

Post by new engine builder »

There are many IMCA racers that use the Scorpion roller rockers with great sucess.
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

I got a set of the PRW stainless rockers from Powerhouse to use on my Vortec heads. I was impressed by the apparent quality. I did not install them on a highly loaded valve train, just an inexpensive way to get lift out of a fuel economy cam.
So much to do, so little time...
hodge
Expert
Expert

Post by hodge »

I got a set of the PRW stainless rockers from Powerhouse to use on my Vortec heads. I was impressed by the apparent quality. I did not install them on a highly loaded valve train, just an inexpensive way to get lift out of a fuel economy cam.

I've looked at those have you pulled covers off and checked them since instalation, and well did the rollers align to stems and was angle correct
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

I only have 10,000 miles on them since I built the motor. The cam is only 198/208 @ .050 so I used 1.6 rockers to get lift into the mid .4" range. I had to ding the stock centerbolt valve covers to clear the trunion when installing them. I left the stock vortec springs on hoping they would be adequate for the small cam. It pulls hard to 5000 and the runs out of breath due to small cam and single 2.5" exhaust. I do the "pulls hard to 5000" as often as possible. I pulled the valve covers looking for a leak, and all was fine. The rockers are quieter than stock rockers, actually the quietest I have ever used, no noise under the hood louder than the belts.
So much to do, so little time...