Whats Your Definition of a Engine Builder

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Malvn
HotPass
HotPass
Whats Your Definition of a Engine Builder

Post by Malvn »

I often wondered what many consider the definition is of a engine builder??
Mike Rogers
Expert
Expert

Re: Whats Your Definition of a Engine Builder

Post by Mike Rogers »

Some one who designs ,machines and assemble the engine.
Mike Rogers
215-674-5240
EQ Cylinder Heads
http://www.rogersperformance.com
jl4049

Post by jl4049 »

Someone capable of assembling an engine, correctly checking tolerances and clearances, machining where necessary to correct where less than optimal, able to do this for more than one type of engine and actually get it right 99% of the time (no one is perfect, I don't care who you are, everyone screws up once in a while. A good engine builder will stand behind his work and if he has screwed up, will put right).
I.E someone who can actually do more than bolt a bunch of catalog parts together.
Some of the above guys have a genuine love of a particular type of engine, these are the ones I use if I have a choice as they are more inclined to be able to help out after the initialbuild a little more :)
clevo
Pro
Pro

Post by clevo »

[quote="jl4049"]Someone capable of assembling an engine, correctly checking tolerances and clearances, machining where necessary to correct where less than optimal, able to do this for more than one type of engine and actually get it right 99% of the time (no one is perfect, I don't care who you are, everyone screws up once in a while. A good engine builder will stand behind his work and if he has screwed up, will put right).
I.E someone who can actually do more than bolt a bunch of catalog parts together.
Some of the above guys have a genuine love of a particular type of engine, these are the ones I use if I have a choice as they are more inclined to be able to help out after the initialbuild a little more :)[/quote

Totally agree with the above ! X2 =D>
Downunder
Dragsinger
Expert
Expert

Post by Dragsinger »

in addition, a person who has years of practical experience. A person who can build a complete engine package with all accessories. Then when that engine package is put to work on the track or on the street it will perform as expected. A person who really understands why/how combinations perform.

And very important, a person who has a large network of suppliers and "go to" connections that allow him access to the required parts, machine work and information. He will be a trustworthy person with a good reputation of successful builds.
Larry Woodfin - Team Woodfin Racing - Owner, Woodfin Automotive
wjnielsen
Pro
Pro

Post by wjnielsen »

clevo wrote:
jl4049 wrote:Someone capable of assembling an engine, correctly checking tolerances and clearances, machining where necessary to correct where less than optimal, able to do this for more than one type of engine and actually get it right 99% of the time (no one is perfect, I don't care who you are, everyone screws up once in a while. A good engine builder will stand behind his work and if he has screwed up, will put right).
Some of the above guys have a genuine love of a particular type of engine, these are the ones I use if I have a choice as they are more inclined to be able to help out after the initialbuild a little more :)
Totally agree with the above ! X2 =D>
X3. I'd say that's the definition of a competent engine builder. Don't know how it could be put much better.

-Bill
seduce the attractive... charm the rest
CNC BLOCKS
Guru
Guru

Post by CNC BLOCKS »

Mike Rogers wrote:Some one who designs ,machines and assemble the engine.
X2 and guys who have to farm everything and do no machine work or buys everything out a box I would call an engine assembler.

There is surly a differance between the two.

This should be a good debate!!!
Website is up and running
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/
Machine shop tour
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/shop-tour/
Monthly Specials
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/specials/
55MM babbit cam bearings with 1 hole
uncle paul

Post by uncle paul »

If someone is willing to "build" you a motor for alot less then anyone else RUN!

2X with Carl adding in that an assembler does always know how to tune a motor correctly.
k-star
Guru
Guru

Post by k-star »

Does the guy have a build sheet with all the spec's, parts etc???

Does he own measuring equipment to check bearing size,cam location,rod stretch, etc??

Can he give you names and numbers of past customers??

What is the overall look of the shop, clean, crusty? (don't mix up clutter or alot of work laying around with dirty)

Some of the things I tell guys to look for. I think there are a few guys with-out equipment that are good builders, but are few and far between. I also know that there are guys with shops full of equipment that should not be building engines.

I rememebr a long time ago I was building a engine on a Saturday afternoon. I had an issue with a bearing or something I can't remember exactly what it was. I called a few of the local HEROS at that time and asked them what I should do. All of them said just run it, the guy will never know. That really stuck with me on how ASSEMBLERS think. I had to let it sit till I found the correct answer for the issue. I could never have left an engine leave with my name on it, knowing something was not right. I guess thats how I view the difference between the two.

Keith
“If I hit you with this you’re going to be numb, that’s why they call them numb-chucks “Si Robertson
donc
Guru
Guru

Post by donc »

someone who is way underpaid
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

Add to all that:

Someone that takes a whole bunch of parts that don't really fit together, modifies, massages, makes a few pieces, then gets it all to work and wins with the results.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
sam-missle

Post by sam-missle »

Keith Morganstein wrote:Add to all that:

Someone that takes a whole bunch of parts that don't really fit together, modifies, massages, makes a few pieces, then gets it all to work and wins with the results.
Very well said.
SAM-MISSLE
SOUTHERN AUTO MACHINE
931-728-7800
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Someone who can degree in a cam.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
ap72
Guru
Guru

Post by ap72 »

CamKing wrote:Someone who can degree in a cam.

I did my first one when I was 15 with a degree wheel I made myself with a couple of drafting tools and a piece of sheet metal. I HOPE an engine builder has to do more than that.
LOL, according to the post count I'm an "expert." The only thing I'm an expert at is asking questions.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

Maybe I missed it but I didn't see any mention of:

Correctly choosing a set of compatible parts to make an effective combination for a specific performance goal.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars