Octane Rating of Hemp Oil

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

MorterPorter
Octane Rating of Hemp Oil

Post by MorterPorter »

Does anyone know the Octane Rating of Hemp Oil? Yes I know, weird question.... Considering building a small minibike to run on it.

Thanks,

Chris
V8 POWER!

"Only Soft drinks and Milk Come in 2 Litres"
MorterPorter
Re: Octane Rating of Hemp Oil

Post by MorterPorter »

BUMP
V8 POWER!

mike walsh
Expert
Expert

Post by mike walsh »

A hemp oil diesel???
Are you high?
Are you rich?
mikeeebikey@yahoo.com

Drag racers prayer:
As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen
MorterPorter

Post by MorterPorter »

Hemp oil is not very expensive, and can be made at home from an ordinary male marijuana plant. :lol:

I have a spare Yan-mar clone lying around, a mini-bike frame, and time on my hands.

And hemp oil can be had wholesale for around .15 A BARREL. :D

Was wondering the Octane and Cetane ratings if anyone knows?
V8 POWER!

ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

I think you would have to thin it out to use it in the 1st place. Seems to me if its that cheap it I read your post correctly at $15/barrel seems to me the fuel industry would already be using it in a Bio-Diesel fuel. That said the oil companys with billions in research dollars would be doing it now if it would work.
Who knows maybe you should sell the idea to the oil industry and skip the engineering vocation and make your fortune with them as a consultant for new ideas,..................no math involved coming up with ideas eitherLOL
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
MorterPorter

Post by MorterPorter »

I would use it in a Bio application, maybe %10-%20 diesal. And its not something new, a quick Google search will bring many results, the man himself Henry Ford was even deep into it. Does anyone know of an instrument that can measure octane and cetane?

Thanks,

Chris
V8 POWER!

MorterPorter

Post by MorterPorter »

LOL, I wouldn't mind coming up with new ideas for different uses of a cannabis plant either! :lol: Seems like a fun office job to me!

Thanks,

Chris
V8 POWER!

mike walsh
Expert
Expert

Post by mike walsh »

OK hemp is the miracle we all have been looking for.

STEP 1) LEGALIZE IT

that should just about do it for now, you could never ever affordably grow enough to make fuel, let alone serve the years for the quanities until that one class 2 rating is changed.
mikeeebikey@yahoo.com

Drag racers prayer:
As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen
MorterPorter

Post by MorterPorter »

Yes, i will say that is one of the most ****** up laws in the system, they ban HEMP because of its "THC" content, yeah... right. [-X To even get anywhere near high you would have to smoke 5 acres of the stuff before you get anywhere near a buzz. HEMP and MARIJUANA are two different things... why can't the government just agree with the people #-o

Would make a conversation piece though, the stuff is avail on ebay for decent rates, but then again whats the point when i could just use veggy oil...

Thanks,

Chris
V8 POWER!

crazyman
Expert
Expert

Post by crazyman »

If you are having fun, build it. Run it on whatever fuel that it will burn. Even if you can only get diesel, you WILL have fun riding it if it's reliable. The capped screw on top of the pump is what controls max fueling on a Yanmar.... Don't overfuel without boost or you will wash the rings....
Mykk

Post by Mykk »

Interesting thought, I like it. Sounds like hours of research just to find out if it has any kind of BTU rating and thus power output potential. I would imagine mixing it at a ratio would provide better results, and it couldn't possibly be beneficial in racing. But for consumer use, I think it's viable.

Just to get your mind going. Check out this site of different BTU ratings of different liquids. Milk has some power potential, so does Ammonia. ]

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/speci ... d_151.html

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/heat- ... d_292.html
MorterPorter

Post by MorterPorter »

Toulene: .41
Milk: .94

WTF? Toulene has an octane rating of 118, and I have known that for quite some time, but apparently milk can produce more combustible gas per liter.....

I think the wal-mart checkout is going to be worried when I buy all there spoiled milk.
V8 POWER!

MorterPorter

Post by MorterPorter »

Also thank you for that site, it has many formulas such as the belt length and belt gearing calculate in the mechanics section that prove very useful for me. Saves me time.
V8 POWER!

Dodge Freak
Guru
Guru

Post by Dodge Freak »

You should go over to Toronto. They have a large hemp shop and pot smoking lounge. Those guys might be able to help you out :lol:

Oh no med card or membership needed, just bring your own bud and $5 fee to enter. 90% are college kids, they might know more than we think
user-9613590

Post by user-9613590 »

Ehh.. the table is for "specific heat capacity" not energy..

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/speci ... d_151.html

That's the correct table: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/alter ... _1221.html