How Strong is a Stock Viper Engine?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Torquemonster

How Strong is a Stock Viper Engine?

Post by Torquemonster »

We recently thought we'd find out after one of our customers insisted they wanted to test their car and knew the risks.

We had fitted a twin turbo packge to a stock engine - stock right down to the stamped rockers. It had run 9.72 seconds at 147mph while making 780rwhp on 13lb boost previosuly - running full stereo, air con etc and able to return good highway mileage.

The car got wound up on the dyno and pulled 1068rwtq and 927rwhp at 17lb boost on a completely stock engine after several pulls and tuning adjustments... there is more left as the A/F was too rich at 10.8:1 and the timing was too retarded up top as timing got pulled out over the torque peak but was not advanced back after that.....

customer wants to come back to adddress that and see if 1000rwhp on a stock engine is possible....

He wants us to build an engine for him anyway - so is of good humor. We make sure he adjusts the boost up and pulls on the dyno! lol

thought this might be of interest to some - who may never have thought a Viper could handle this power level.

BTW - stock head gaskets took 20lb boost and there was no blowby in the catch can.

There is a limit to how many more pulls the engine may take - but I definitely think 1000rwhp is possible on stock components - at least on a rolling road - not sure I'd want to race it without some mods at that level.

Just a bit of light entertainment - we always build up serious engines for that kind of power - but this customer has the money and expertise so we let him have his way and it was quite interesting :-)
speedtalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: How Strong is a Stock Viper Engine?

Post by speedtalk »

Torquemonster wrote:1068rwtq and 927rwhp at 17lb boost on a completely stock engine
:shock: Very impressive

Here's one I shot last weekend. I can't remember how fast it was.

In Memory of Don Terrill
SpeedTalk Owner/Admin