Pauter Rod thoughts

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

OldSStroker
Guru
Guru

Post by OldSStroker »

Mercedes F1 engine guy, Mario Illien, in a recent interview said that rod strength is what limitied rpm on their recent (2003-5) F1 V10 engines. Remember that need to run two complete race weekends vs. just a race and not even qualifying a few years ago, so it's really an endurance application of maybe 5 to 6 million revs in anger.

Without disclosing the exact bore size, Illien said he favors bores smaller than the 98 mm max. They got to about 18500 revs, so with a 96 m bore, they were at about 25.5 m/s mean piston speed vs about 24.5 m/s for 98 mm bore (shorter stroke) engines. That's about 10,000gs pulling on the rod @ TDC.

Illien said the F1 titanium rods are an I-beam design which he favors over an H-beam.
[i]"There are some people who, if they don't already know, you can't tell 'em."[b]....Yogi Berra[/b][/i]
[i]"Being able to "think outside the box" presupposes you were able to think in it." [b]--Bob Lutz[/b][/i]
learner1
Re: Pauter Rod thoughts

Post by learner1 »

Keith,

Do you still have these? If so, what's the application?
By "A" frame , do you mean the old mechart rod ?
I still have a set of them, but only seven good ones and havent found a spare yet
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

I guess I would be partial to a SBC rod made like a BBC thumb rod and made out of 300M. Of course, I-Beam.

pdq67
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

I posted this chart in another thread so, some of you may have already seen it. I also have what is suppose to be a Cosworth 3L V10 piston/rod combo. I haven't verified the picture.

The Cosworth was the only one to run at 20K rpm, before F1 limited rpm to 18K. 20K came when they reduced the number of cylinders to V8's and displacement to 2.4L (same bore and stroke, just 2 less cyl)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.