your recipe for budget 700hp sbc

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

nos598
Re: your recipe for budget 700hp sbc

Post by nos598 »

greywolf wrote:
nos598 wrote:I have a sbc ,23deg that runs 139 in a 3350lb car on radials .We are using thirteen yr old 220 afr that have had a few birthdays through the yrs , Our engine is just under 12/1 There isnt to much low budget to make one of these. i do drive it on the street and it has over 1000 miles cruising in traffic , highway cruising at 4000k ,a drive with three or four people in the car .It can be done though and you are going to need a good cyl head man and a good tuner .Engine has been in the car for i yr now and we are going quicker each meeting with fine tuning .The car has over 70 passes on it now and we check the lash and change the oil after each meeting and thats really about it .We did spend a lot of time as did Jake did with Tom tuning on the dyno .Cam is a comp solid roller specced by comp and so far has been kind to the springs :D
Looks like you have a good set up there,
but you are being quite vague on your combo, care to elaborate further????
It is a 3.875 x 4.130 ,6 in rod , diamond piston ,oliver i beam, callies drag slayer ,little m, match ported super victor, 950 aed 4150, cam in the 276/282 @50 range 110 lc., jessel belt drive ,morel lifters , morroso billet oil pump,crank trigger , old style 220 afr ported 2.1 valve ,small chamber ,yella terra shaft rocker,mezziere electric water pump, .1 7/8 headers .this engine wasnt a huge amount of cash but not what i would consider a budget engine. I specced a lot of parts for endurance sake which added to my build price , my engine builder says the same performance is there with cheaper parts as long as the prep and machining is done right www.advancedengineperformance.com.au/index.html the engine builder i use.
MaxFlow
Expert
Expert

Post by MaxFlow »

Nice build. Very nice. That's not what I would consider a break the bank build by no stretch.

Tom @ 3V if you don't mind me asking. How does 800+ lift live with those kind of spring pressures and rpm? Has to be a light light valve package, shaft system, and a table leg push rod and a mild ramp if you can get that at that lift......lol :D Killer job.....
Joe Stalnaker
WV
lun40119
Guru
Guru

Post by lun40119 »

I can't speak for Tom on how it works...........but figured I would chime in. I have been out of town since friday, but on thurs I pulled the springs. All good here. Just over 1500 miles, low spring was right at 127, High side was 133ish, and checking lash is pretty much a waste of time. The spring pressure/lash haven't changed since it was on the dyno. Front suspension is a different story.......too stiff, and not enough travel to keep the weight back on the tire. :( Ill get it hopefully in time for Drag Week. :) Tom............Loving this thing...........you could have made it a bit more interesting though.............all I do is change oil, and polish valve covers!!! This fall, Ill make some passes with the water cooled off, I think staging at 190 degrees might be killing some HP.

Here is a video of the car at the track......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba1f_Szb ... re=related

2 Hours later at a cruise night downtown with my Queen.......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-yqPXxw ... re=related
Jake
Team Clueless
Optimize the Compromise
lun40119
Guru
Guru

Post by lun40119 »

MaxFlow wrote:Nice build. Very nice. That's not what I would consider a break the bank build by no stretch.

Tom @ 3V if you don't mind me asking. How does 800+ lift live with those kind of spring pressures and rpm? Has to be a light light valve package, shaft system, and a table leg push rod and a mild ramp if you can get that at that lift......lol :D Killer job.....
Again not trying to speak for him................but here it is on the spintron, to 9000. No issues...........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMIUJtvdePU

PS. The phone ringing in the back ground is probably me...........;)
Jake
Team Clueless
Optimize the Compromise
Hooiser1985

Post by Hooiser1985 »

I have a 434sbc 12: 5: 1 making 700 + hp
3V Performance
Vendor

Post by 3V Performance »

supergass wrote: I have been curious and even asked about the spintron for my own engines. I would like to know what this kind of work cost to get a set up that is spring and lifter freindly. I mentioned it on another site and the reply I got was that at 7000 rpm it wasnt needed. I disagree, if it is really possible to lower solid roller spring pressures that much.......why wouldnt I do it!

Less then 2 sets of good valve springs.
3V Performance
" ENGINES WITH AN ATTITUDE "
980-222-7230
supergass
Pro
Pro

Post by supergass »

I will be in touch then, I just dont see anything but good out of that situation. I just bought that set of profiler heads from Kenny Jett you sent back to him. We live in the same area in Ga. Does that include BBCs as well? Work for me is really bad right now but I will be in touch.
lun40119
Guru
Guru

Post by lun40119 »

af2 wrote:Jake!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the " ring ring"???? :evil:
Glad to see you in the teens! :D

Making changes to the Willys as we speak hope it fixes some issues.
Sorry Adam. I have been swamped lately working on the chassis. It is funny just how bad an engine can make a car look. Or how bad a car can make an engine look. Whichever way you want to look at it. I had to redo everything in the back, and then move on to the front. Ill give you a ring one of these days if I ever get to sit down. LOL.

Here, watch this one from one of the first times at the track......LOL. Didn't stand a chance!!!
Jake
Team Clueless
Optimize the Compromise
dezza
Pro
Pro

Post by dezza »

well to have a go id try
forged 4.00 crank
13.1 forged piston
heads 350 cfm at 28 inchs
265/273 104 solid roller
5.7. rod billet 7/16 cap bolt
mached high rise
2 inch primary 28inchs long headers
carby 1250 cfm at 10 inchs
should get u close
DeltaT
Pro
Pro

Post by DeltaT »

lun40119 - looks great and sounds better!

Jim
Half Assed = Half Fast
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

DeltaT wrote:lun40119 - looks great and sounds better!

Jim
What a responsive MFer!!!!!!!!!!!! That is bitchen!!!!!! :D :D :D

Get the rear worked out and hang on!!! You need all the transfer you can get with the tires you run.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
lun40119
Guru
Guru

Post by lun40119 »

Thanks guys........I have been busting my ass all week working on the front suspension. I added an inch and three quarter front travel, and found some things that were all messed up. The bushings in the "global west" arms were dry as a bone and bound up. I have them all lubed up, and can bounce the car like a basketball up front now. With the shocks set full loose up and down, you can literally bounce the car off the ground about 3 inches. I will be bracket racing it this weekend at WIR. Ill let you know how it turns out.
Jake
Team Clueless
Optimize the Compromise
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

Post by Bob Hollinshead »

Is WIR and eight mile this year or did they get the track fixed?
Pro question poster.
lun40119
Guru
Guru

Post by lun40119 »

All good now......rebuilt the bridge and back to the 1/4 mile. Stop in if you are bored. I park in D13. Black 24ft enclosed.
Jake
Team Clueless
Optimize the Compromise
garthpe

Post by garthpe »

Hooiser1985 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:08 am I have a 434sbc 12: 5: 1 making 700 + hp
ok more info! Pump gas?