your recipe for budget 700hp sbc

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

xanadu
Pro
Pro

Re: your recipe for budget 700hp sbc

Post by xanadu »

$12000 is what i would call a budget engine over here.

And that would not get near 700HP, maybe 500-530 NA.
banjo
Expert
Expert

Post by banjo »

Heck if your going to spend 12k, spend an extra 2500 and get one of these carb to pan motors from reher.

http://www.rehermorrison.com/rmEngines.htm
74 Nova
SBC 406
3267 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.29 (10/15)
1/8 6.06@110 (10/15)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013
3V Performance
Vendor

Post by 3V Performance »

MaxFlow wrote:That's a 680 or so hp 400 inch pump gas small block. Not too shabby.

Thats about right for the way its beeing run.

We found some power in different headers we used on the dyno but Jake already bought the ones he runs in the car fitted to his exhaust.

He also has not compleated his air pan to keep under hood air out. He just runs a air cleaner and draws engine air from under hood.

Still a work in progress but he does love to drive it on the street. I think he says he cruises at 4000 rpm. :shock: He will be competing in Drag Week and that requires about 1200 miles of street driving plus drag racing every night for 5 nights straight.
3V Performance
" ENGINES WITH AN ATTITUDE "
980-222-7230
HP fan

Post by HP fan »

Like everyone has said earlier its all what you call budget, and also whether you consider things like reliabilty, amount of work involved and streetable RPM in the equation

And like many have also said and I also agree a true budget 700 sbc is a bit wishful.....................But

This would get close..........and Im saying it would be streetable or super reliable..............but

Dart 427 SHP or simlar assembled short
AFR 235 or 245 heads with some milling, (gonna need at least 12:1 or more)
Plenty of camshaft and try and aim for 7200-7500 peak power

Plus a good intake, pipes and some finese.
Nitrousknob
Pro
Pro

Post by Nitrousknob »

Ill take $4200.00 for all of it. Crank is 3.875 Callias Magnum. Heads are RHS Pro topline 14 degree Alum. 285cc Intake runners and have 4 heads
nos598

Post by nos598 »

I have a sbc ,23deg that runs 139 in a 3350lb car on radials .We are using thirteen yr old 220 afr that have had a few birthdays through the yrs , Our engine is just under 12/1 There isnt to much low budget to make one of these. i do drive it on the street and it has over 1000 miles cruising in traffic , highway cruising at 4000k ,a drive with three or four people in the car .It can be done though and you are going to need a good cyl head man and a good tuner .Engine has been in the car for i yr now and we are going quicker each meeting with fine tuning .The car has over 70 passes on it now and we check the lash and change the oil after each meeting and thats really about it .We did spend a lot of time as did Jake did with Tom tuning on the dyno .Cam is a comp solid roller specced by comp and so far has been kind to the springs :D
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

MaxFlow wrote:I've heard all kinds of things and would like to hear the professionals opinion on a true 700hp sbc combo that utilizes somekind of limited budget with no power adders. A true N/A combo:

Anxious to hear some combos!

thanks
Production 509 block, all the machine work, AFR CNC head, Jessel shaft, 270 @ .050 roller, .700 @ the valve, Mahle piston 14.1 comp, some type of race oil pan, 4340 crank, H beam rod, tunnel ram and you will have an easy 700 HP, very low buck.
Racing a NA NHRA stocker should be mandatory before any posting.
greywolf
Expert
Expert

Post by greywolf »

nos598 wrote:I have a sbc ,23deg that runs 139 in a 3350lb car on radials .We are using thirteen yr old 220 afr that have had a few birthdays through the yrs , Our engine is just under 12/1 There isnt to much low budget to make one of these. i do drive it on the street and it has over 1000 miles cruising in traffic , highway cruising at 4000k ,a drive with three or four people in the car .It can be done though and you are going to need a good cyl head man and a good tuner .Engine has been in the car for i yr now and we are going quicker each meeting with fine tuning .The car has over 70 passes on it now and we check the lash and change the oil after each meeting and thats really about it .We did spend a lot of time as did Jake did with Tom tuning on the dyno .Cam is a comp solid roller specced by comp and so far has been kind to the springs :D
Looks like you have a good set up there,
but you are being quite vague on your combo, care to elaborate further????
When I turned 47 years old, I entered into my 5th decade of drag racing.
3V Performance
Vendor

Post by 3V Performance »

nos598 wrote:I have a sbc ,23deg that runs 139 in a 3350lb car on radials .We are using thirteen yr old 220 afr that have had a few birthdays through the yrs , Our engine is just under 12/1 There isnt to much low budget to make one of these. i do drive it on the street and it has over 1000 miles cruising in traffic , highway cruising at 4000k ,a drive with three or four people in the car .It can be done though and you are going to need a good cyl head man and a good tuner .Engine has been in the car for i yr now and we are going quicker each meeting with fine tuning .The car has over 70 passes on it now and we check the lash and change the oil after each meeting and thats really about it .We did spend a lot of time as did Jake did with Tom tuning on the dyno .Cam is a comp solid roller specced by comp and so far has been kind to the springs :D

Very nice. Will you be going to Drag Week?
Sounds like a nice cam. Glad to hear "kind to the springs". I bet lifters are happy also. :mrgreen:
3V Performance
980-222-7230
nos598

Post by nos598 »

Tom , we are in Australia , so no drag week however we use this car for events such as powercruise http://www.powercruise.com/, we would do three hundred miles at this event seriously leaning on it summernats which is idling around in procession traffic for three days , a four meeting points race series on the eastern seaboard which the car is running in(my wife is racing in that). i have no issues getting in it and driving a two or three hundred miles.We are also doing this et on 26 inch tyre . i used morel lifters and a manley nextek spring this engine which is the first time to use them . :D
supergass
Pro
Pro

Post by supergass »

3V Performance wrote:

Very nice. Will you be going to Drag Week?
Sounds like a nice cam. Glad to hear "kind to the springs". I bet lifters are happy also. :mrgreen:
I have been curious and even asked about the spintron for my own engines. I would like to know what this kind of work cost to get a set up that is spring and lifter freindly. I mentioned it on another site and the reply I got was that at 7000 rpm it wasnt needed. I disagree, if it is really possible to lower solid roller spring pressures that much.......why wouldnt I do it!

On the other hand my favorite budget engine I built was a .040 over GM block 400 SBC with ported track one heads and stud rockers. It had a flat tappet cam (soild) .580in and .570 ex. the duration at .050 was 259 and 267@.050 . It had a eagle rotating assembly >6 inch rods and 10.75 to 1 and a 950 Holley HP and a Victor Jr with a one inch spacer NOT PORT MATCHED. It was backed with a glide and a 5000 stall 8 inch converter. In a 3250lbs car with 4.30 gears (12 bolt) it ran a best of 6:55 in the eighth (normally ran 6:65 to 6:70) in worst heat, and 10:55 best and 10:60s normal (humid weather). It was the biggest suprise engine I ever built. I thought MAYBE 10:90s at the very best weather but it just ran! The car was a 68 Camaro with a fiberglass hood. No other light parts including glass.
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

This might interest some people.

http://x/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2299
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

Jake!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the " ring ring"???? :evil:
Glad to see you in the teens! :D

Making changes to the Willys as we speak hope it fixes some issues.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
3V Performance
Vendor

Post by 3V Performance »

nos598 wrote:Tom , we are in Australia , so no drag week however we use this car for events such as powercruise http://www.powercruise.com/, we would do three hundred miles at this event seriously leaning on it summernats which is idling around in procession traffic for three days , a four meeting points race series on the eastern seaboard which the car is running in(my wife is racing in that). i have no issues getting in it and driving a two or three hundred miles.We are also doing this et on 26 inch tyre . i used morel lifters and a manley nextek spring this engine which is the first time to use them . :D

Nice..

Glad to hear your having fun driving it.. Morel makes a real nice lifter.
3V Performance
980-222-7230
Wolfplace
Guru
Guru

Post by Wolfplace »

Don't know exactly what a 700HP "budget" engine consists of but here is a true pump gas SB we did a few months ago
It is only 670 though :mrgreen:

http://youtu.be/sFI5Ar4EOR4

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350309
Mike
Lewis Racing Engines
4axis CNC block machining

A few of the cars I have driven & owned
A tour of my shop
The Dyno
And a few pics of the gang

"Life is tough. Life is even tougher if you're stupid"
John Wayne