Modern BBC Head ?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Avadoo

Modern BBC Head ?

Post by Avadoo »

As the title says really.. is there a head out there thats efficient/fast burn ( EFI application), will support big cubes at reasonable RPM (598 at 68-7000 max) and retains stock intake face angles/patterns (using ITB type intake) ?

..Have read about the merlin X offering and learned little other than a mixture of occasional quality problems and inability to get good flow numbers.

Most of the 24 degree manufacturers/porters have offerings, which Im sure would be mostly outstanding but we are trying to make this thing efficient too as its endurance based and hence looking to run a real fine tune efi arrangement with as little timing as neccessary.

Anyone ever port these merlin X heads with results or have other suggestions.
cboggs
Guru
Guru

Re: Modern BBC Head ?

Post by cboggs »

what is the application??

if I was to build custom I would use a different casting as a base, .. personal pref.
Race Flow Development
Simultaneous 5-axis CNC Porting
http://www.raceflowdevelopment.com
Avadoo

Post by Avadoo »

Pm'D

Cheers.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Please keep posting and share for the rest of us..

Thanks,

I don't know if it is possible, but, IMHO, flat-top pistons and the smallest chamber cc's to get up to like 9.5 to 10 to 1 using a BBC head should really help here... Closed old -206 heads or open -781 heads... Just use flat-top pistons though...

How much can these heads be cut???

Oh, I have both heads if I ever want to play with them...

pdq67
GuysMonteSS
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GuysMonteSS »

As far as I know,there has only been one totally new design of the BBC heads from the aftermarket.
These ones from CID in Australia;
https://www.cidheads.com/collections/ci ... nder-heads
Not sure if this is what you are looking for or not.
Guy
'86 Monte SS,513 BBC,AFR heads,Bullet solid roller cam,Doug Nash 4+1 5 speed,Hurst Inline Shifter,Ford 9 inch Rearend.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Would be great if stock Ball/stud rockers could be used, imho.

I am honestly surprised that somebody hasn't brought out a true wedge head for the old BBC engine.

Like the SBC engine... Kind of like the big 440 MOPAR engine's head??

Or even a modern BBC Hemi-head and be done with it!!

pdq67
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

Nick Arias, Jr developed hemispherical combustion chamber heads for BBC and they have been used by boat racers and top alcohol dragster and funny car classes. The pushrod design was extremely weird and probably was one of the reasons why the engine didn't see more success. I think Nick sold the rights to these heads to Fontana several years ago (or maybe Blanchard will bring them back . . . . . . )
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

As I see it, the problem with modern BBC head in a Hemi design is the 4-bolt head bolts.

A 5-bolt head bolt design just doesn't fit right as I see it here...

Please correct me if I am wrong?

pdq67
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

engineguyBill wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:47 am Nick Arias, Jr developed hemispherical combustion chamber heads for BBC and they have been used by boat racers and top alcohol dragster and funny car classes. The pushrod design was extremely weird and probably was one of the reasons why the engine didn't see more success. I think Nick sold the rights to these heads to Fontana several years ago (or maybe Blanchard will bring them back . . . . . . )
My uncle used to run a BBC with Arias heads back in the day, IIRC. I'd have to find the pics of his nitro funny car and dragster, and his boat to be sure but I'm positive I saw Arias on the valve covers of one of em. Thinking about it, it was likely his boat. He had a blown KB Hemi in the dragster & funny car.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Like I said, he 5-bolt head bolt's......

pdq67
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

BTTT!

Bringing this back from the dead.

What about a wedge???

Shit, the way old Gen-1 SBC runs great..

pdq67