General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Barbapapa
Expert
Expert

Re: Just for interest's sake - Weslake SB Chevy 4-valve head

Post by Barbapapa »

PackardV8 wrote:
And you can buy a low miles, perfectly running, 32-valve quad-cam 5.0L Porsche V8 complete with harnesses and auxiliaries off Ebay for $2500.
As much as I loved driving the 928, if someone tried to give me one today, I'd chase him off with a shotgun. The local Porsche dealer is relatively new and if he didn't sell it, he doesn't want to see it in his shop. There's literally no one in 300 miles who stocks any parts; much less anyone who's ever seen the inside of a 928 V8 or knows how to change the water pump. I've been inside one and hope never to go there again.

jack vines
Everyone seems to have heard of a mechanic that says Porsche V8s have a 7 foot timing chain that runs from front to back. The mechanic is used to Chevy motors and we all think that there's something wrong with Porsches because the mechanic has never seen one. We think they are so scary that we threaten shotguns upon the prospect of seeing something that dares to be different.

Jack, you have PACKARD in your name but are turned off by engines that don't have parts stocked locally?

The Porsche 928 32v was the first mass produced engine typical of many modern 4v engines, it's timing belt and other features are not unusual, the hydraulic OHC bucket valvetrain is typical and not unusual. Aside from it being different back in the day, it's pretty typical of current engines.
Parts are available, many trough Worldpac. There are 928 specific companies and aftermarket efforts.

In all of the letting lazy mechanics determine everybody's opinion of them, please consider:

4.803 bore spacing same as a Mopar 440, nice 4 valve heads. That means these are big block 4v engines just waiting for a brave hot-rodder.
Mine is 427 cu in, oversquare, 4.28 bore, 3.7 stroke, the piston doesn't poke out of the bottom of the cylinder like many common domestic strokers with sealing issues. It has 4 valves and makes power typical of a 4v engine without high valvespring pressure and pushrod problems.
I see 640hp on a chassis dyno with 93 octane and 10:1 with no detonation and it drives like a lamb. Try that with another 427 cu in engine that your mechanic says is great because parts are locally available.
Mike S.
Barbapapa
Expert
Expert

Post by Barbapapa »

promachine wrote:I have one of these Westlake chevys in my shop now and from what I have heard there was only 5-10 sets of these heads made.
Aren't these the ones Harvey crane was involved with along with the main designer?
I know I've seen multiple sets in recent years in storage along with a magazine article from the early 70s, are these the same?
Mike S.
wil8115
Pro
Pro

Post by wil8115 »

Arao is now making LSX32v heads. OK Cool factor restored.
Notchback
Pro
Pro

Post by Notchback »

Lozano Brothers built a modified Porsche Cayenne engine that won the 24 hr. of Rolex race. I think that was a pretty interesting engine to use.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

Barbapapa wrote:
promachine wrote:I have one of these Westlake chevys in my shop now and from what I have heard there was only 5-10 sets of these heads made.
Aren't these the ones Harvey crane was involved with along with the main designer?
I know I've seen multiple sets in recent years in storage along with a magazine article from the early 70s, are these the same?
No, the heads you are thinking of are the Moser V8. There are 2 engines with those heads in the Speed Museum in Lincoln Nebraska.

By the way, if anyone has not been to that museum, make a point of going.
It is only open for tours (guided) at a particular starting time, plan accordingly.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
Wesfolk

Post by Wesfolk »

Very interested in getting a pair of these "WESLAKE 32V" heads for either SBC or preferably SBF. Tried to message "Promachine", as he states in a post that he has a pair, but can't get him here. There are two sets as part of a static display engine at the Museum in Lincoln, NE. Neither Carson Smith, nor Greg Nicol will call me back. I have a purpose for these, so if anyone can help out I would be appreciative.
Billzilla

Post by Billzilla »

Interesting! I have never heard of those heads before. The chamber shape and ports look half reasonable as well.

FWIW there was an aftermarket wheel company in Australia by the name of Globe that built a very limited number of DOHC 32v heads for small block Fords. I can't even find a photo of them any more, it's a shame.
lada ok
Guru
Guru

Post by lada ok »

PackardV8 wrote:Looking at those, I'm getting an Ardun vibe. Lot's of engineering, casting and complication to work with the common short block of the day. Anyone want to wager today's better LS heads will make more horsepower per cubic inch?

jack vines
I don't think the ' LS ' heads would be in the hunt, what sort of bhp / lt would you see @ 7500 --- 10,000 ?
flyingwedge
Expert
Expert

Post by flyingwedge »

lada ok wrote:
PackardV8 wrote:Looking at those, I'm getting an Ardun vibe. Lot's of engineering, casting and complication to work with the common short block of the day. Anyone want to wager today's better LS heads will make more horsepower per cubic inch?

jack vines
I don't think the ' LS ' heads would be in the hunt, what sort of bhp / lt would you see @ 7500 --- 10,000 ?
>> Well known guy/name escapes me@ moment, In Santee, Ca., puts 4V , 928 heads on the BBC. His nitche is puting 4 V heads on various/usually US based V8's.
lada ok
Guru
Guru

Post by lada ok »

we have a couple of early model ford mustangs that run 302" motors with weslake heads down here in NZ ..... these cars run in open saloon car tarmac ... they would still be in the winners circle .... can someone add to this ?
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

" Well known guy/name escapes me@ moment, In Santee, Ca., puts 4V , 928 heads on the BBC. His nitche is puting 4 V heads on various/usually US based V8's."

By chance, Pete Ardema??

pdq67
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

Barbapapa wrote:
PackardV8 wrote:
And you can buy a low miles, perfectly running, 32-valve quad-cam 5.0L Porsche V8 complete with harnesses and auxiliaries off Ebay for $2500.
As much as I loved driving the 928, if someone tried to give me one today, I'd chase him off with a shotgun. The local Porsche dealer is relatively new and if he didn't sell it, he doesn't want to see it in his shop. There's literally no one in 300 miles who stocks any parts; much less anyone who's ever seen the inside of a 928 V8 or knows how to change the water pump. I've been inside one and hope never to go there again.

jack vines
Everyone seems to have heard of a mechanic that says Porsche V8s have a 7 foot timing chain that runs from front to back. The mechanic is used to Chevy motors and we all think that there's something wrong with Porsches because the mechanic has never seen one. We think they are so scary that we threaten shotguns upon the prospect of seeing something that dares to be different.

Jack, you have PACKARD in your name but are turned off by engines that don't have parts stocked locally?

The Porsche 928 32v was the first mass produced engine typical of many modern 4v engines, it's timing belt and other features are not unusual, the hydraulic OHC bucket valvetrain is typical and not unusual. Aside from it being different back in the day, it's pretty typical of current engines.
Parts are available, many trough Worldpac. There are 928 specific companies and aftermarket efforts.

In all of the letting lazy mechanics determine everybody's opinion of them, please consider:

4.803 bore spacing same as a Mopar 440, nice 4 valve heads. That means these are big block 4v engines just waiting for a brave hot-rodder.
Mine is 427 cu in, oversquare, 4.28 bore, 3.7 stroke, the piston doesn't poke out of the bottom of the cylinder like many common domestic strokers with sealing issues. It has 4 valves and makes power typical of a 4v engine without high valvespring pressure and pushrod problems.
I see 640hp on a chassis dyno with 93 octane and 10:1 with no detonation and it drives like a lamb. Try that with another 427 cu in engine that your mechanic says is great because parts are locally available.
About a year ago I had a guy bring in a set of heads for one of those Porsche V8's for a valve job. We were laughing when he picked them up about how back in the day when they were new they would have seemed "exotic". In today's world they are no big deal at all and they were actually very easy to work on with their simple valvetrain. About the only thing wrong with his heads were the valve seals which were falling apart. He said that rebuilding the engine wasn't that difficult and it runs good.
flyingwedge
Expert
Expert

Post by flyingwedge »

pdq67 wrote:" Well known guy/name escapes me@ moment, In Santee, Ca., puts 4V , 928 heads on the BBC. His nitche is puting 4 V heads on various/usually US based V8's."

By chance, Pete Ardema??

pdq67
Pete-Yes, thanks, hope he'll chime in. flyingwedge. :)
Modified49

Post by Modified49 »

flyingwedge
Expert
Expert

Post by flyingwedge »

The motor, that begs to be built, is the rover V8 with lotus 907 heads,(same bore spacing). 907 heads are easy to get via Jensen Healey. Major obstacle is getting 4 custom/round lobe cams made or a single-plane crank. Costly proposition, either way. flyingwedge. :(