Anyone remember the old Holley Street Dominator intake?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

autogear
Vendor
Re: Anyone remember the old Holley Street Dominator intake?

Post by autogear »

I swapped out the manifold and carb on a corvette for a local guy; he brought me an Edelbrock 'EPS' manifold. It fit under the hood of his 70s 'disco thunder' corvette. It seemed very low profile for the chevy compared to the Offy it replaced. I have no idea on the Mopar version.

Mr Vines, can you give us a height that you are looking for; perhaps someone has something we're missing.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

I think I found you one Jack. http://www.tonysparts.com/intakes.htm
Thanks for the link. Tony seems to be a great resource for the SBM intakes and much less hassle than eBay.
Not to hijack this thread too much, but is this the same guy that mills the hell out of the heads and bolts plates on?
There was a picture post on the HAMB not too long ago. Interesting to me.
Nope, that guy was Zenndog, a younger guy who works with Rich Fox, the old Bonneville racer, in San Carlos, CA. The feasiblity of Zenndog's mod has yet to be proved. The extensive milling and welding will limit it to a race-only app.

I delivered the Studebaker V8 head Z used for the experiment when I drove down to buy Rich's Packard V8 he had built and at Bonneville his Vega. Rich adapted an early Pontiac Hilborn injector and had a RotoFaze distributor made up for it. In the spirit of what goes around comes around, I had provided the Isky 505C cam which Rich had reground by Dema Elgin. Now, it's all back in my garage.

jack vines
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Mario428

Post by Mario428 »

Actually a pretty good intake on an Ford FE.
Jay Brown did a bunch of intake testing, the Street Dominator and the Streetmaster hung in with the Performer RPM which turned out to be the best intake for a under 6000 rpm combo.
I took my Street Dominator off for a Blue Thunder and saw no gains, the guy who has it now loves it.
Lil brother ran one on his 351W and it worked better than anything until the Victor Jr.
Strange Magic
Guru
Guru

Post by Strange Magic »

I can't speak for others but my Holley Street dominator on my 362 cubic inch iron head Olds in 1987 ran 9.74. Had a single 750 carb on it, flat tapet camshaft and 2.07/1.710 valves. It was bad azz to say the least. For the Olds guys I still encourage my customers to try to obtain one. Personally I think it's a killer manifold. I also usually take that 7 degree angle off the carb base area and re-drill and heli coil the bolt pattern, then add a one inch open spacer and blend.
strangemagicperformance.com
Strange Magic Camshaft Technologies
Decisions on parts and advise should not be based on how much money a company can pour into marketing. This is a common mis-conception in the industry.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

I also usually take that 7 degree angle off the carb base area and re-drill and heli coil the bolt pattern, then add a one inch open spacer and blend.
Wish we could do that. However,the whole idea of using the Street Dominator is it is one of the few aftermarket intakes with a low enough profile to fit under the stock hood on this particular application.

jack vines
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Strange Magic
Guru
Guru

Post by Strange Magic »

When you take the angle off and you add that inch spacer, your net gain is less than .500
strangemagicperformance.com
Strange Magic Camshaft Technologies
Decisions on parts and advise should not be based on how much money a company can pour into marketing. This is a common mis-conception in the industry.
BruceWilkie

Post by BruceWilkie »

The HSD for BB Mopar was a great piece with a 1" open spacer. Same on Pontiacs, they worked quite well with a 1" spacer.
From these posts it appears they worked on the Fords too.
Seems they didnt work as good an SBCs or SBM though. Seems the SBC much preffered the Vic JR or the Weiand Team G.
My427stang
Expert
Expert

Post by My427stang »

Mario428 wrote:Actually a pretty good intake on an Ford FE.
Jay Brown did a bunch of intake testing, the Street Dominator and the Streetmaster hung in with the Performer RPM which turned out to be the best intake for a under 6000 rpm combo.
I took my Street Dominator off for a Blue Thunder and saw no gains, the guy who has it now loves it.
Lil brother ran one on his 351W and it worked better than anything until the Victor Jr.
Been running one for 16 years on a 399 FE, 280H, 3310, in a 4 speed, 4000 lb truck, feels no different than the 428 PI it replaced and will run circles around the Performer that was on it for less than a day.

Decent street manifold on an FE
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
Plattsmouth, NE
70 Mustang, 489 FE, TKO-600, Massflo SEFI, 4.11s
71 F100 SB 4x4, 461 FE, 4 speed, port injected EFI, 3.50s
Dodge Freak
Guru
Guru

Post by Dodge Freak »

heck I got less then $75 each for mine

some sellers :x
HDBD
Expert
Expert

Post by HDBD »

Jack I ran that Holley "Z" manifold in the 80s on a 350 pickup with a Crane 272 cam. It was a very strong runner for a street truck that weighed a lot. As typical with single planes lost a little off the bottom but it had a very strong mid to upper charge. For the life of me I can figure the advantage of the rear connecting tube. Supposedly that was designed under the advice of Zora Duntov.
hemichuck

Post by hemichuck »

I have had both the street dominator and the z style street dominator,if you set them side by side with a 273 Hipo manifold they are almost identical. I would have to agree to disagree with a couple of the other post's here because I have used both manifolds and for their intended purpose they work fine.Their intended purpose was to have a manifold that was available that fit 318 ports so you could run a 4 barrel and it offered good torque from 0-5000 rpm and thats what they did.After 5000 they pretty much didnt have anything(but they were'nt supposed to) If your looking for a 318 port specific manifold your choices are limited. theres the 273 HiPo which was cast iron,heavy,had 2 different intake bolt patterns, and not real commonwhich means expensive.You had the Edelbrock LD4B which was a high rise dual plane that offered decent power from 2000 to 5500 rpm but lost a little low end torque. The later Performer manifolds had a port that was somewhere between 318 and 360 and they worked OK.The SP2P that was made for milage is a complete and total waste of good aluminum and should be avoided at all costs.Whatever manifold you choose try and keep your carb around or below 600 cfm for a stock or mildly modded 318 beacause thats all they need.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

PackardV8 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:20 am
I also usually take that 7 degree angle off the carb base area and re-drill and heli coil the bolt pattern, then add a one inch open spacer and blend.
Wish we could do that. However,the whole idea of using the Street Dominator is it is one of the few aftermarket intakes with a low enough profile to fit under the stock hood on this particular application.

jack vines
I love these old threads so BACK FROM THE DEAD!!

Thinking about the 500 Cad's stock sunken up-hill intake and putting a decent one on it as well as some more CR, a decent cam and a set of headers to wake the old slow running engine up!

Wasn't the stock Cad 500 done about 3200 to 3400 rpm?

pdq67
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

PackardV8 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:20 am

jack vines
Old thread or not:

The "Z" series #300-29 was a decent manifold up to 4,500 rpm on a 360 especially at Part Throttle but, not very good at higher RPM.

The Weiand #7545 X-celerator is pretty low profile.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

There were (at least) 3 versions of the SD for the SB Mopar.
The original, then one with egr added, then the one with the x-over on the rear two runners.
DFFE9180-F205-40E8-AE27-D42A3BE95A24.png
F6818D72-1820-4F8F-97A9-6DDDFF6077D4.png
79FE1BA1-503D-4BC2-9F8A-680EAF0F7B4D.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.