Probably too pedestrian 283 SBC top end

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

autogear
Vendor
Probably too pedestrian 283 SBC top end

Post by autogear »

One of my best friends has a son with a 4dr '64 Nova. He wants to rebuild the 283 and put a 200-4r behind it.

Grand idea. They collected several sets of heads and intakes and several shadetree recommendations for camshafts.
They are as follows:

283 powerpack heads that need to be completely rebuilt 1.72 in x1.5 ex I believe
305 HO Heads 1.8x intake 1.5 ex I believe
L98 aluminum heads from a corvette
I also offered up a set of 305 Vortec heads that I had collected for my own 283.

He has a Performer non-RPM for Gen 1 heads and a GM Vortec dual plane manifold

Camshaft would be something in the neighborhood of a Comp 262H

Thoughts, pitfalls to watch for, sage advice?
levisnteeshirt
Guru
Guru

Re: Probably too pedestrian 283 SBC top end

Post by levisnteeshirt »

305 exhaust ports suck ,, i've look at a set of RHS pro torker heads
autogear
Vendor

Post by autogear »

Point well taken. We need to be budget conscious as well in this as the young man in question artfully crafts hamburgers at a fast food joint for fun and profit. Ive gotta say this kid has some fire in his belly though; no matter how filthy, rusty or mind-numbing the task is...hes ALWAYS smiling. I'm really proud to see hes got the Hot Rodder work ethic
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

There ain't nothing a L31 350 vortec head won;t do a whole lot better than the lowly 305 version will do.
If you are going to go the vortec head path use the L-31 heads.
( you can mill them about .040" and use a shim head gasket to raise the cr)

283 Piston dome to vortec chamber clearance @TDC must be verified.

The 305HO #416 heads will work very well if fully home ported. (Don;t be shy with the porting)
(stock flow is modest, you can fix that) 1.94x 1.50 valves are best in your 283.
The L-98 aluminum heads would be hot hot hot with home porting and milled as required.
you can mill these heads for a chamber volume of 51cc to 62cc as required.
correct chamber volume and finished cr is critical.

A cam, any cam has a big effect on a small CID motor. If you are going to cam it, gear it and get a high stall.
Cammed up 283's want compression, rpm and generous gears.

Don;t bother with the OD trans unless you're going to gear it too.

A comp XE262 cam in a 283 will want 9.5 to 10.5:1 cr, 4.10's and a 10" high stall converter. The real converter stall speed behind a 283 will be about 500rpm less than advertized stall. EG a 10" "3500 stall" will get you 3000 real stall, just right for this cam in a 283. Cam, converter and gear match up is critical in a small CID motor combo.

Consider keeping the stock low compression ratio and supercharging this motor.
These small cid motors are just right for a 144 blower+8.5:1 cr and a moderate perf cam+reworked heads w larger valves and porting.

The low cr supercharged motor allows mild gears, mild converter, , moderate cam, no need for OD.
='s max street perf w a 283

Is this a flat top pistoned 283?
autogear
Vendor

Post by autogear »

F-B

Very good points indeed. I appreciate the insight into the heads. Hadn't thought of the mini-roots blower. We have to be very budget conscious even if it means an 8.5CR turd until Kenny can afford the miniblower. Do these create problems with a 2" cowl hood on a nova.

I believe the pistons are flat top KB Hypers; can't swear to it though
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

If this is the kids 1st car project then just use up the stuff you have.
The vortec heads will be better then the HO 305 heads but the intake will need to be changed because the port height and mounting bolts are different
The chamber size is close to the 283 head so comp wont be that different. Try to keep it to 9-1 for reg gas and the 262 cam will be right in the ball park. Flippin burgers don't allow for premium gas all the time for a daily driver.
being on a budget the trans choice ain't worth crap and if you don't do a ton of upgrades now when he gets some time on the car and wants more HP it will be all over the ground.
A good TH350 is way less money and IMO more durable and will bolt in easier with no X-member issues and linkage changes.

Those old novas are not real heavy so if this is his first ride then keep it simple. Because we all know it can end up in the ditch just as easy with a 283 compared to a done up 350. The only real difference between the two would be how deep the bumper goes in the bank if it happens :lol:
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

The blower will fit under a 2.5" cowl hood on most GM cars when using a drop base 14x3 air cleaner like the old L-88 L-72 corvette.

N/A flat top 283 you want a 54 to 58cc head and thin head gaskets.

Supercharged 283w flat tops you want a 64+cc head and a .040" gasket.
The corvette head chamber can be deshrouded to good effect 58 up to 64cc to get it right.
These heads wake right up with porting.
L-31 Vortecs are real good with the blower too. with the right vortec style blower manifold.

Blower cam: Crane HMV-278-2 ( this cam will also run very well in a 283 N/A with 10:1 and the right converter and gears)

Blower carb: Any 750 holley with a few upgrades.

There is nothing you can do better for this motor than supercharge it. A lot lotta bang for the buck.
flip a few more burgers and save your tips, bolt it on. Then you'll be grinning. :)

The KB hypers are fine as long as the top ring end gap is generous, modest max spark advance under boost and detonation is avoided.
an honest 6-7 psi boost is plenty.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

On a pump gas 8.5:1 cr 283cid the default blower pulley ratio (1.95:1) will be pretty aggressive.
This will probabily require a higher fuel octane or a lower 7.5:1 compression ratio to run reliabily on pump gas.
I would suggest a bit slower 1.85:1 pulley ratio for initial testing on a street 8.5:1 283, on pump gas.

The nice thing about these small blowers, on small cid engines is you don;t need to drive the shit out of the blower to get a decent amount boost. The result is more reliable blower discharge temps.
That being said, you want to sneak up on the tuneup to avoid hurting parts.

It's not about how much boost you make, its about how much reliable horsepower you make.

If you want to run the 1.95:1 pulleys or higher ratio pulleys (that will make more boost and power) either build a dedicated 283 blower motor with a low low 7.5:1 cr or use a better 110 octane unleaded fuel.

As you increase the blower drive ratio, the boost , blower discharge temps, cylinder pressure and combustion temps all increase, requiriing higher fuel octane,and or lower spark advance and or lower compression ratio.
An honest 6psi with moderate drive ratio and WOT spark advance is plenty for the street, on pump gas.

10-12psi boost w higher drive ratios on high octane fuel and more spark advance makes huge power for track days. Your little blown 283 Chevy II can really haul the freight when the need arises.

Big blocks and stroker motors best be ware. You will slay your fair share.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

I'm digging again so bear with me.

For the little mouse motors, try 305HO, -601 heads.

They should cc down around 53 to 55 cc's, have true double quench chambers like the old -461 fuelie head, 1.84"/1.50" valves and the intake ports should be right at 160 cc's. At least my pair are out in my garage do.

Use steel shim head gaskets and something like an old 1850, 600 cfm Holley vacuum secondary carb. on a Performer intake along with some 1.5" 4-tube, long tube, headers IF you can find them and go have more fun than John law will allow.

Oh, a cam!!

The little short-stroke buggers LOVE a little-bitty solid flat tappet lifter cam, say like a modern -097 Duntov again, IF you can find one?

And btw, it will rpm so high that it will scare you being short-stroked!! Just like the Great 302 Z-28 engine!!

pdq67
n2omike
Guru
Guru

Post by n2omike »

pdq67 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:53 pm
Oh, a cam!!

The little short-stroke buggers LOVE a little-bitty solid flat tappet lifter cam,
AGREED!

My experience is with Ford 289-302 engines... and these absolutely THRIVE on small, solid flat tappet cams! Years ago, I had Comp custom grind me one with their 270S lobe on the intake and their 282S lobe on the exhaust. (Fords were supposed to have crap exhaust ports) I believe it was 224/236 @ 0.050" with a 110 LSA. Thing had plenty of low end, massive midrange, and liked shifted around 6300 rpm with a 4-speed. Perfect daily hotrod cam. For a Chevy, the standard 270S (224/224 110 LSA) or similar, would be a great choice.

Add a decent carb, Performer RPM (or equivalent) intake, 9.5 : 1 compression, small headers and a free flowing dual exhaust... and he's got a FUN hotrod!

I have a hard time NOT throwing a few items on the fire for kids like this. It's just too fun to experience their fun and excitement with them! :mrgreen:
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

autogear wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:57 pm One of my best friends has a son with a 4dr '64 Nova. He wants to rebuild the 283 and put a 200-4r behind it.

Grand idea. They collected several sets of heads and intakes and several shadetree recommendations for camshafts.
They are as follows:

283 powerpack heads that need to be completely rebuilt 1.72 in x1.5 ex I believe
305 HO Heads 1.8x intake 1.5 ex I believe
L98 aluminum heads from a corvette
I also offered up a set of 305 Vortec heads that I had collected for my own 283.

He has a Performer non-RPM for Gen 1 heads and a GM Vortec dual plane manifold

Camshaft would be something in the neighborhood of a Comp 262H

Thoughts, pitfalls to watch for, sage advice?
I love this stuff with young kids! I would either use the 305 ho heads or the 305 vortec heads (depending one which were in better shape). I would let him take a dremmel and clean off an obvious casting flash in the ports (notice I did not say for him to have a real grinder as we don’t want him to ruin the heads or hurt himself, just clean any real issue and let him feel he has more of himself invested). At that point I would use which ever of those intakes matches the heads you used. (I have used old style intakes on heads with the later inner bolt holes before, we hogged the holes vertically until we could get bolts started and then we put rocker balls from stamped style rockers on longer bolts to help make up for the offset angle and it worked just fine. Kind of “Janky” but worked). I like the cam recommendation. Much bigger and the lower rpm’s might get weak. A 600 vac holley with a rebuild kit should be just fine as well as a basic HEI. It should run well and be fun. I also like the turbo 350 idea.

Then with a running decent engine he can save for a cooler and nastier 350 to drop in later. Just my thought.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
autogear
Vendor

Post by autogear »

8 years! Wow! The kid in question is now married, and has a kid in kindergarten. The 283 ended up with the 113 vette heads, a GM composite gasket for the 305 (.026"?) a Performer RPM and a Holley 650 vac sec. Distributor for awhile was a old fashioned dual point setup, later he fitted it with a Crane Cams "pertronix-style" module. He never got the 200-4r off the ground, so they got a Muncie M20 mongrel from some guy who worked at Auto Gear. Cam ended up being a solid lifter -097 repop. Not enough compression for it, and Im not a great fan of self guided rockers with a solid lifter cam but, with a clutch and 3.55 rear gears...it did very well for itself and had all the old-guy cool a kid could want. Hardest thing to find, was a set of 14" cragar rims and decent rubber for that lil guy.
Now he wants to go LS, nearly caused a fight with his old man :lol: Damn kids!
Some things never change, 17y/o kids love glasspacks :lol:
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

:lol: :lol: :lol: With all these old threads coming back from the dead I need to make sure I check the original post date before I post. 😝

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
autogear
Vendor

Post by autogear »

I love it!
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »