Probably too pedestrian 283 SBC top end

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

falcongeorge
Expert
Expert

Re: Probably too pedestrian 283 SBC top end

Post by falcongeorge »

autogear wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:41 pm 8 years! Wow! The kid in question is now married, and has a kid in kindergarten. The 283 ended up with the 113 vette heads, a GM composite gasket for the 305 (.026"?) a Performer RPM and a Holley 650 vac sec. Distributor for awhile was a old fashioned dual point setup, later he fitted it with a Crane Cams "pertronix-style" module. He never got the 200-4r off the ground, so they got a Muncie M20 mongrel from some guy who worked at Auto Gear. Cam ended up being a solid lifter -097 repop. Not enough compression for it, and Im not a great fan of self guided rockers with a solid lifter cam but, with a clutch and 3.55 rear gears...it did very well for itself and had all the old-guy cool a kid could want. Hardest thing to find, was a set of 14" cragar rims and decent rubber for that lil guy.
Now he wants to go LS, nearly caused a fight with his old man :lol: Damn kids!
Some things never change, 17y/o kids love glasspacks :lol:
Its so great to get a follow-up like this, what a cool story. As a teenager in the seventies, I built a ton of 283's, usually with camel humps and a TRW LT-1 or 30-30 cam. As time passed, we got more money and more knowledge, and looked back at those motors and snickered.
Its funny how things come full circle, here it is 40 years later, and I am building a fake '57 270hp 283 with pop-up pistons and an Isky Z-25 for my T Tudor. Putting the motor together was like walking down the street and running into an old friend you haven't seen since high school.
1Azgerman

Post by 1Azgerman »

autogear wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:41 pm 8 years! Wow! The kid in question is now married, and has a kid in kindergarten. The 283 ended up with the 113 vette heads, a GM composite gasket for the 305 (.026"?) a Performer RPM and a Holley 650 vac sec. Distributor for awhile was a old fashioned dual point setup, later he fitted it with a Crane Cams "pertronix-style" module. He never got the 200-4r off the ground, so they got a Muncie M20 mongrel from some guy who worked at Auto Gear. Cam ended up being a solid lifter -097 repop. Not enough compression for it, and Im not a great fan of self guided rockers with a solid lifter cam but, with a clutch and 3.55 rear gears...it did very well for itself and had all the old-guy cool a kid could want. Hardest thing to find, was a set of 14" cragar rims and decent rubber for that lil guy.
Now he wants to go LS, nearly caused a fight with his old man :lol: Damn kids!
Some things never change, 17y/o kids love glasspacks :lol:
Nathan is that you that started this thread? I wonder where the young man got this Muncie from? Lol! Glad to hear he finished the car brother.

This is Steve in Mississippi

Steve
autogear
Vendor

Post by autogear »

Steve!
Yessir! I popped together an M20 with some polished gears, caged needle cluster, lightweight sliders and a genuine 1960s Hurst shifter (came from what is now Mikey V's 4spd's). With the short tires and a snappy 1st gear; it held its own for him. Im still nervous about using solid lifters with on self guided rocker arms. BUT, he never had a problem with it. I guess you could call those heads "fuellie" heads...they DID come off a fuelinjected vette (albeit from 1989 or so).
1Azgerman

Post by 1Azgerman »

autogear wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:24 pm Steve!
Yessir! I popped together an M20 with some polished gears, caged needle cluster, lightweight sliders and a genuine 1960s Hurst shifter (came from what is now Mikey V's 4spd's). With the short tires and a snappy 1st gear; it held its own for him. Im still nervous about using solid lifters with on self guided rocker arms. BUT, he never had a problem with it. I guess you could call those heads "fuellie" heads...they DID come off a fuelinjected vette (albeit from 1989 or so).
That is awesome brother, you are the man with the four speeds. Glad to see you are involved with this site. I like it seems to be a lot of good info..

Steve