timing light

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

forddragteam
timing light

Post by forddragteam »

hi,guys , is it real than a dial back timing light are not the same precision than a conventional timing light ,when is the to tune a race engine ,thanks
CNC BLOCKS
Guru
Guru

Re: timing light

Post by CNC BLOCKS »

The only dial back timing light I like is the MSD light and I use the 1 wire timing light from flaming river.
Website is up and running
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/
Machine shop tour
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/shop-tour/
Monthly Specials
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/specials/
55MM babbit cam bearings with 1 hole
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

I use a Sears Craftsman dial back timing light and it works very well for setting and checking distributor advance. Also have an MSD #8990 (now superseded by #89921) timing light for checking timing at high RPM, as MSD claims that this light is reliable all the way to 10,000 RPM.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
joedoozer

Post by joedoozer »

I had the MSD dial back light. It lasted about 1 year and I used it only a handful of times. It just broke a few weeks ago and it was frustrating when it happened. I will never use a dial back light again.
Doug Schriefer
Expert
Expert

Post by Doug Schriefer »

The MSD lights seem to be the best, and have one of the brightest bulbs so you can see your timing mark during the day.
Doug Schriefer
#84Dave
Expert
Expert

Post by #84Dave »

Depending on the manufacturer, dial-back timing lights are known for inaccuracy. Anywhere from 3 to 12 degrees inaccurate. Doublecheck with a MSD, Flaming River or Craftsman non-dialback. I threw our Chinese dial-back in the trash. It was 4-5 degrees off from mid to high rpm, using a MSD ignition box & 8mm MSD plug wires. -Dave-
jsgarage
Expert
Expert

Post by jsgarage »

Ford-drag, see if you can borrow several dial-backs to compare to a conventional. You'll likely get 4 different answers on the same motor, leaving you to wonder if they're ALL wrong.... That should settle it in your mind. I use such a light from Snap-On but not in the dial-back mode. Remember, whatever number a light gives you, the engine doesn't care. All it wants is a spark at the right time.
forddragteam

Post by forddragteam »

thanks for all response ,so M.JSGARAGE ,do you think, it will be the same case with different flow bench or engine dyno , i have an old 80 snap on dial back ( not made in china ) and i take always the same timing light for my engine and the same thing for the engine dyno ,always the same dyno test after test .
Dodge Freak
Guru
Guru

Post by Dodge Freak »

I like timing by ear-sound and just use the light to double check where is at. The light is helpful if you just want to change the timing 2--3 degrees

Whats wrong with just using a tach to see the rpm's the engines at. I see no need for dial back timing lights
jsgarage
Expert
Expert

Post by jsgarage »

In my opinion, dynos, flow benches and timing lights are fine as comparison tools for tuning improvements. Where guys get into trouble is when they start using any of them as absolute-answer machines. You may find yourself so far down Wrong-answer Street there's no way back except to scrap everything and start fresh.
brad_m
Pro
Pro

Post by brad_m »

Dodge Freak wrote: I see no need for dial back timing lights
I agree with this.

get a timing scale on the engine that suits and use a regular light, Even then I still wouldn't gamble my left ball on the accuracy.