Fel Pro rear seal issues

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

smeg
Expert
Expert

Re: Fel Pro rear seal issues

Post by smeg »

We had a bad run of Cleveland rear main seals. They flat looked like the lip had melted during break in on the dyno, ha two in a row. The material looked like hard black plastic not the usual rubber. Will not build a cleveland now without machining for a 1 piece performance seal.
MELWAY
Guru
Guru

Post by MELWAY »

smeg wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:35 pm We had a bad run of Cleveland rear main seals. They flat looked like the lip had melted during break in on the dyno, ha two in a row. The material looked like hard black plastic not the usual rubber. Will not build a cleveland now without machining for a 1 piece performance seal.
Rod
What are you finding and using for all the chev stuff?
Has felpro quality gone downhill on all seals?
I never had issues. But last 2-3 years. It’s become very painful
3370lb Sedan 9.89@136MPH 358chevN/A
Momus
Pro
Pro

Post by Momus »

I'm not familiar with the seal in question but I've fixed leaks by shortening the gaiter spring.
smeg
Expert
Expert

Post by smeg »

MELWAY wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:49 pm
smeg wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:35 pm We had a bad run of Cleveland rear main seals. They flat looked like the lip had melted during break in on the dyno, ha two in a row. The material looked like hard black plastic not the usual rubber. Will not build a cleveland now without machining for a 1 piece performance seal.
Rod
What are you finding and using for all the chev stuff?
Has felpro quality gone downhill on all seals?
I never had issues. But last 2-3 years. It’s become very painful
We have not had much trouble with the sbc seals, but saying that we always use the HP FP2900 seal or the high vac seal. What does the leaking seal lip look like after you remove them James? Is it cracked or look melted like the Ford seals I had? I was starting to think it could be something to do with what lube we are using. What is everyone else using on the seal lip?
I have noticed lately after running an engine on the dyno, some front seals have leaked a little and it looks like a blackened oil. Like the seal has worn or something, but they stop after a while, not sure what is going on there?
MELWAY
Guru
Guru

Post by MELWAY »

Rod
I have been seeing the exact same thing with front seals a few black oil drops then goes away

I use 50w Brad penn oil or driven brown grease on seal lips
The seals look new even when they leak
3370lb Sedan 9.89@136MPH 358chevN/A
smeg
Expert
Expert

Post by smeg »

We use the same driven brown grease. Maybe something in using that?
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Ran into a weird situation down at the local large rebuilder. They had a one-piece seal SBC leaking at both front and rear. Their analysis was the Redi-Sleeves used were too smooth and sealed too well; lack of oil burned up the seals.

We've used many Redi-Sleeves over the years and never came to that problem or diagnosis. Anyone have experience or an opinion on this?
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
RT Machine

Post by RT Machine »

Regarding Felpro SBC rear main seal leaks, is it the seals or is it the surface finish on the new cranks ?
Maybe some of the cheaper crankshaft manufacturers are paying little attention to the RA on the seal area.
Everyone here hates RM leaks with a passion right ?
Before i install a new crank, I put in the lathe and polish the seal area starting with 360 grit and end up with 1200 grit ( in the direction of engine rotation ).
If the seal journal has not been polished correctly it will potentially wear the Christ out of the seal and create a nasty leak.
Or am I over thinking this ?
Blue or brown seals ive never one leak, albeit i dont build near as many as the Guru,s on here.
Works for me.