Fel Pro 1205, didn't put metal behind heat riser passages

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

MPac
Expert
Expert
Re: Fel Pro 1205, didn't put metal behind heat riser passage

Post by MPac »

BigBro74 wrote:for years i put a stainless shim in an engine that had world sp II heads on it. it looks for all the world like it has an open exhaust heat riser. years later when i got into taking those heads apart i found the heat riser that looked like one on a stock chevy went NOWHERE, even though it had an open tunnel that looked like a stock one. might check is all im saying. J
My world heads S/R Torquers don't have the heat riser on them? hmmm. :?
matters not whether you win or lose; what matters is whether I win or lose
bracketchev1221

Post by bracketchev1221 »

I thought the aftermarket heads needed to be drilled through it you needed the riser. Is this wrong?
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

beaker60 wrote:
MadBill wrote:Before you get too panicked, recall that the entire exhaust port is aluminum on many millions of engines. When the riser is plugged, there is no longer any flow to carry the hot gases to the filler material, only conduction, and the aluminum is good at dissipating heat into the port walls. I have filled risers with molten aluminum with good success and I'd think well-compacted foil would work just as well.
Oh,,,man,,,Thank-you,,,when I decided on doing this,I was thinking along the same lines,,if aluminum heads can withstand that much heat,,then why wouldn't compacted foil work in these crossover ports,,,I was also using the logic,,if you wrap food in foil and put directly into a fire or charcoals,,without any signs of damage,,then why wouldn't work in the port,,but I always question my theories.Not knowing the exact burn or melt point of certain metals,,can be the beginning point of disaster.Thanks again for the support.I am ,,however,,going to try and find a website that might show the melting points,,of certain metals especially the ones we use in automotive,,just for curiosities sake,,I have never explored this type of information,,because I think everyone uses the same reasoning that I do,,that if it has withstood these types of temperatures up to this point,,then there shouldn't be any problems.And again,,when ever,,I have been involved with this sort of reasoning,,,I redefine the word disaster,,,and it's ME,,,I walk into a grocery store,,,and all of the checkout scanners,,go tits-up.
Aluminum melts at just over 1200° F., but without exhaust gas flowing past it, I'd expect the filler would see no more than 300-400...
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
BirdMan
Expert
Expert

Post by BirdMan »

On my SBF I just cut a retangular hole with a wood chisel and cut a piece of .050/.060 aluminum sheet to fit on both heads. I still have them and have reused them many times after cleaning the carbon off of them so they don't get tooo thick!
Dale C.
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

I know this is old, but why not just use a 3/8-24 tap on these heads and a short set screw, then if you chose to run them with a carbed intake that needs the heat riser for cold climates youd just remove it when swapping the intake out. Permanent solution that is easily reversed. That's what I did to the afr 195 street eliminator (1040) that I have prior to installing them.

Roadknee wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:50 am I belive that's what I run on my AFR 195's. The heads have a 3/8" dia heat riser passage. They burn through to the heat crossover in the intake within a few miles.