carbon fiber push rods and wrist pins

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Bazman
Pro
Pro
Re: carbon fiber push rods and wrist pins

Post by Bazman »

MadBill wrote:I think 3M will still build them, for ~$2k per set.
http://solutions.3m.com/3MContentRetrie ... on=current

Those look real good. At that price they'd want to be :lol:
dwilliams
Guru
Guru

Post by dwilliams »

I lusted for some CF pushrods once. PRD (?) advertised them for years in the back of Circle Track and Car Craft. I wrote them a letter. Eventually, I wrote them another. They never replied. I tried calling them on the phone, back when day rate long distance was very expensive. Seems they were more into carbon fiber golf clubs then, but they were still paying for the pushrod ads. I spent about $40 on hold and leaving messages in various voicemail boxes. Never got a human being. Never got a callback. A few years after that they showed up on the internet; I left messages there, too, and a few more (by then free) long distance calls. By then I didn't even want the pushrods any more, I was just seeing if they'd ever bother to respond. Still zip.

"Your call is very important to us. We pride ourselves on our customer service."

By all accounts I'm probably lucky they couldn't be bothered to sell me anything.

I got exactly the same result trying to buy some of the fancy sealing rings like were used on the old Ford 255 Indy and some of the Boss 429s; multiple attempts via phone, letter, and email, never got a reply.
flyingwedge
Expert
Expert

Post by flyingwedge »

" You have to want it really bad, to "get it" really bad. If I use these hocus-pocus broom fibers, the motor will be "bad", in a bad way. So much for entertainment value. flyingwedge. #-o
shoedoos
Expert
Expert

Post by shoedoos »

interesting comments re carbon fiber

http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/to ... -pushrods/
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

SilverXJ wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:44 pm
Robert Kane wrote:Carbon fiber wrist pins aren't what you think. They are basically a thin walled steel pin with an inner carbon fiber "liner" to bolster the strength. Never really worked link they thought either.
I've seen some home made ones. Very thin outer steel shell (like .060') with a solid baked carbon fiber center. They were said to have worked.
One of the big name NASCAR teams ran pushrods like that, until they got caught. They were a carbon fiber rod, with a thin steel outer wall, and steel ball ends.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Did any of you see the carbon fibre connecting rods at pri? Guy claimed to have them out in use. Looked very interesting!!
SpeierRacingHeads
Vendor

Post by SpeierRacingHeads »

The very first carbon fiber pushtube I ever seen was in around 1994ish and it was shown to me by Mr Vizard at Madcap...
Speier Racing Heads
Chad Speier
785-623-0963
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Different application, I know, but has anyone looked into the loading and design of carbon fiber pushrod suspensions used in Formula One, Le Mans prototypes, most open wheel/ sports racer designs?
-Bob
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

https://awacomposites.com/products/ Heres the list of products from fella at pri.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Steve.k wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:09 pm https://awacomposites.com/products/ Heres the list of products from fella at pri.
Call them up, and ask them to bring a couple of the used rods they were running last year.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Whoa that may get interesting. Lol
strokersix
Pro
Pro

Post by strokersix »

[/quote]
Call them up, and ask them to bring a couple of the used rods they were running last year.
[/quote]

Agree, this would be very interesting and educational IF they can actually deliver. What kind of thread insert holds the bolt threads???

Carbon fiber/resin covers, intake manifold, maybe pushrods seem reasonable. Connecting rods, wristpins, and pistons I don't think so. Happy to learn and be shown wrong.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

If I remember correctly he said they were running in motorcycle engines quite abit and have some in cars. He did say had as much strength as aluminum rods.But with price of engines these days and price of products a guy is very reluctant to try thats for sure.
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

Automakers, Governments & Oil Companies spend zillions seeking (and achieving) small efficiency increases; light weight is key. They have the technology to model and test anything.

CF & ceramic bits been around for long enough that, if they were practical, they'd be in series production & in consumers vehicles.
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

SpeierRacingHeads wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:26 am The very first carbon fiber pushtube I ever seen was in around 1994ish and it was shown to me by Mr Vizard at Madcap...

That's funny because around that time I was looking into CF pushrods and I called MadCap. I can't remember if it was them, or someone else I called, but I remember being told that they were having resonance issues with them, and in the perfect storm, they could essentially turn to dust.

After that, I decided that much R&D was out of my budget.