carbon fiber push rods and wrist pins

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

flyingwedge
Expert
Expert
carbon fiber push rods and wrist pins

Post by flyingwedge »

Anyone used/using these ? I bought years ago and never installed. Is there a time limit, for the resin or duty cycles :?: Thanks, flyingwedge.
loudandproud
Pro
Pro

Re: carbon fiber push rods and wrist pins

Post by loudandproud »

Wait, carbon fiber wrist pins?

I need to see pictures of these...
"Buying parts I dont need, with money that I dont have, to impress people that I dont know".
nhrastocker
Expert
Expert

Post by nhrastocker »

flyingwedge wrote:Anyone used/using these ? I bought years ago and never installed. Is there a time limit, for the resin or duty cycles :?: Thanks, flyingwedge.
Do not even try to use them.
They might be strong however, they will not survive the cycle and loads in the valve train.

Many years ago, a friend of mine purchased a set of the push rods after seeing an advertisement in National Dragster.
Installed them in his Comp Eliminator engine and after he warmed up the engine and rev it up, all the push rods frayed and turned into string cheese. :lol:
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Yes, carbon fiber pushrods were the trick part of the week many years back. The manufacturer went broke very quickly, as they simply didn't live in a race engine environment. Seen anyone running them lately?

Whatever happened to ceramic-aluminum matrix pushrods?

jack vines
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

I think 3M will still build them, for ~$2k per set.
http://solutions.3m.com/3MContentRetrie ... on=current
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
jsgarage
Expert
Expert

Post by jsgarage »

Think I remember Smokey Yunick trying carbon-fiber pushrods on a SBC dyno run in the '80s. At some critical rpm, they went into resonance and converted back to individual strands. Carbon-fiber wrist pins? That's up there on the bad-idea list with cast-magnesium pistons.
Robert Kane
Pro
Pro

Post by Robert Kane »

Carbon fiber wrist pins aren't what you think. They are basically a thin walled steel pin with an inner carbon fiber "liner" to bolster the strength. Never really worked link they thought either.

Robert.
flyingwedge
Expert
Expert

Post by flyingwedge »

Yes, They are what you think, no steel but superlight, 17 grams ? I think for sh**ts and gigles, I'll use pins and pushrods in a WTF motor= learning/entertainment factor. Thanks, flyingwedge. #-o
axegrinder
Guru
Guru

Post by axegrinder »

flyingwedge wrote:Yes, They are what you think, no steel but superlight, 17 grams ? I think for sh**ts and gigles, I'll use pins and pushrods in a WTF motor= learning/entertainment factor. Thanks, flyingwedge. #-o

The wrist pins are resin on the OD? :-k Any coating at all?
Trump might screw us
HILLARY WILL SCREW US
hondo

Post by hondo »

i installed carbon fiber pushrods back in the 80s, they broke just cranking over the engine, the steel end at the top where it broke, wedged open the rocker arm, keeping the valve open, driving a titanium valve thru the dome of a handmade piston,which is not a good thing,
flyingwedge
Expert
Expert

Post by flyingwedge »

axegrinder wrote:
flyingwedge wrote:Yes, They are what you think, no steel but superlight, 17 grams ? I think for sh**ts and gigles, I'll use pins and pushrods in a WTF motor= learning/entertainment factor. Thanks, flyingwedge. #-o

The wrist pins are resin on the OD? :-k Any coating at all?
>> No resin, just wishfull thinking/lol.
SilverXJ
Pro
Pro

Post by SilverXJ »

Robert Kane wrote:Carbon fiber wrist pins aren't what you think. They are basically a thin walled steel pin with an inner carbon fiber "liner" to bolster the strength. Never really worked link they thought either.
I've seen some home made ones. Very thin outer steel shell (like .060') with a solid baked carbon fiber center. They were said to have worked.
vincenelson
Pro
Pro

Post by vincenelson »

I bought a set of carbon fiber push rods for my BBC they weighted in ar 28 grams, they worded good until I wacked the throttle real hard which schreaded them....About three years ago I saw the ceramic aluminum matric ones at the SEMA show, I called to get a price they wanted around $150 each for them, I thought they must be gold plated or something. I guess you better have your lengths correct.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Must Video or it never happened.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
flyingwedge
Expert
Expert

Post by flyingwedge »

Dave Koehler wrote:
Must Video or it never happened.
OK, pay per veiw-engine destruction derby ?