which tunnel ram and carbs should i buy

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BrazilianZ28Camaro
Guru
Guru
Re: which tunnel ram and carbs should i buy

Post by BrazilianZ28Camaro »

nyesgym wrote:going to call quick fuel, tec on monday and tell them what i have and that i want to try 2 carbs and what size i should use. man i hear all kinds from 2 good reworked 650's to 2 monster doninators.. just my dumb way of thinking, a good matched pair of racing 750 cfm. will see what they say. i will buy them and try it. i know i have the fuel system tp handle it.

Take a look on the Holley Ultra 750s. Lots of cool mods and you can adjust the linkage up to 1:1.

And they're lighter than old holleys. :wink:

PM Wolfplace here, he can help you with them.

Ask BigJoe how a well T-ram will do above a stealth SB compared to a single carb setup.

You can bet there's more than 11 HP. :D
'71 Z28 street strip car
Pump gas All motor SBC 427
3308 lbs-29x10.5 Hoosiers
NEW BEST ET
1.38 60' / 4.05 330' / 6.32@111.25mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99p13UK ... ture=share
nyesgym
Pro
Pro

Post by nyesgym »

i talked to quick fuel tec and he says i should go with their race Q 850 series 2 of them. I talked to a couple of tunnel ram builders and they told me ,its not my runner lenth ,so much to worry about , its my plenum size, which ,I can change that, with not too much trouble. my plan right now. I will be launching this car at 5000 rpms off trans brake, shift at 7500 and look to cross traps[1/4 mile] 8300. so its a high rpm ,light wt car,

gotta tell you I like talking on this site, i know some of this stuff, learn new things and remember things I forgot. I thank all you guys for your ideas. Drag racing is the most fun I have
Strange Magic
Guru
Guru

Post by Strange Magic »

Ask them if they would be willing to give you examples of exactly who is running faster than you (8.80's), at no more than the same cubic inch, with the tunnel ram and two fours. The many examples should re-instate that the move you are going to make is in the right direction. The north east area has some pretty fast stuff and some high tech applications. The average bracket body car in the super pro programs in the north east is around that 8.40-8.60 et range. The average dragsters are around 7.30-7.40 et's. These are averages. You have to take a close inspection of what these cars/dragsters are using for manifolds and carbs and from there you can draw conclusion.
strangemagicperformance.com
Strange Magic Camshaft Technologies
Decisions on parts and advise should not be based on how much money a company can pour into marketing. This is a common mis-conception in the industry.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

F-BIRD'88 wrote:I am not an expert on tunnel rams but just looking at the pictures there is a lot there I see that does not look good to me.
Runner length too long.
Actually they are too short by about 1.5".. The plenum is too small and that is all... He will get it fixed..
GURU is only a name.
Adam
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

If you now got the money to order up two new 850 carbs, you got the money to also pick up a Edelbrock Victor Ram
Tunnel Ram manifold too. Sell-ebay that sheet metal thing. Let someone else experiment with it.

Then : like BigJoe recomended dial it all in on a engine dyno. You will go fast.

Joe can probably tell you which version of that good manifold is probably best for you.

Remember he has probably forgotten more about what makes you go fast then most of us will ever know. ;)
nyesgym
Pro
Pro

Post by nyesgym »

My friend at Diversified machine shop is making me a new top for my sheet metal intake. It was explain to me in detail, by a expert on what size plenum I need, I thought mine was too small, so I am going to try this . My motor will be back together in 2 weeks and I will either put the motor on a dyno , or for sure put my car on one. the engine dyno , i was told will set me back $800.00 where as the car dyno guy ,is my friend and thats just $100.00 for like 6 pulls.
Just got this stuck in my head, this sheet metal intake is going to work, one last try
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

nyesgym wrote:My friend at Diversified machine shop is making me a new top for my sheet metal intake. It was explain to me in detail, by a expert on what size plenum I need, I thought mine was too small, so I am going to try this . My motor will be back together in 2 weeks and I will either put the motor on a dyno , or for sure put my car on one. the engine dyno , i was told will set me back $800.00 where as the car dyno guy ,is my friend and thats just $100.00 for like 6 pulls.
Just got this stuck in my head, this sheet metal intake is going to work, one last try
Ok....your money....your call. But I see a lot more wrong with that intake than just the plenum volume.

Look at the Edelbrock manifold plenum and the runner entries. Things are the way they are for a reason.

You won't have the cylinder to cylinder AFR/exhaust temp monitoring-logging capability to sort that manifold out
on just a chassis dyno. #7 went way lean for a reason.
It will take many pulls under controlled conditions and changes to get that sorted out.
Again I am surely not an expert on tunnel ram design but I do not like what I see in that design.

Can you beg,borrow, steal a Edelbrock tunnel ram for testing?

Again, your call..... Good luck. Let us know the results...
nyesgym
Pro
Pro

Post by nyesgym »

Well these guys are making this stuff for free [ i just put their sticker on my car, I race alot, so got that covered, Yes I wish i had another tunnel ram to look at and try, but it says on that ram its only good to 7500 ? i am going to 8300 rpm. I know best way to go is a engine dyno, i will do my best to go that way. # 7 went lean ,bad and the others were very lean as well, the plenum was only 4200 cc, it needs to be 6600, for my motor size,runner lenth,weight of my car and heads spec's.ect. will try this, if it does not work , i will smash it with a sledge hammer and buy something else. Will not be the 1st time i tried something and it did not workout. man, i tried stuff on my 9.5 second car and i slowed to 11.oo, man ,did i get teased about that. then i tried something on my 9.00 second car, people teased me , on how ugly it was before i ran, and said it was a waist of time and money { $35] and it will never work, I ran 8.80 !!! They all could not belive it, but they were standing right there. Hey, its fun, I have nothing else to do in my spare time, so keeps me out of trouble, Terry
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

but it says on that ram its only good to 7500 ?

Are you refering to the Edelbrock street tunnel ram here? #7110 (YX series or its variations)

I am not... I am refering to the full race Edelbrock Victor RAM.
It is all about top end rpm power.

But even the street tunnel ram will make power well beyond 7500rpm on a capable engine.

But I am refering to the Full race Edelbrock tunnel Ram. There are a few different variations of this design.
But they are all proven and all about rpm. Well beyond 8000rpm.
They are just getting warmed up at 7000++rpm.
Reference Edelbrock #7070

Irregardless what you are doing is very interesting..
nyesgym
Pro
Pro

Post by nyesgym »

I have been racing something, my whole life,cars, boats, motorcycles, heck ,I race my co-workers when we carry stuff across the room, kind of nuts ,i guess, I really like making my own stuff, working on my own stuff, may not look the prettiest, but i go fast for all i have.
BrazilianZ28Camaro
Guru
Guru

Post by BrazilianZ28Camaro »

nyesgym wrote:I have been racing something, my whole life,cars, boats, motorcycles, heck ,I race my co-workers when we carry stuff across the room, kind of nuts ,i guess, I really like making my own stuff, working on my own stuff, may not look the prettiest, but i go fast for all i have.

Build/redesign/rework our own parts is part of our Hot Rodding culture. If it works and we can go faster, man, thats cool. If it didn't work, we just gained experience, not E.T.

Keep the welder working!!!

Keep us updated about how she did with the new intake , good luck.
'71 Z28 street strip car
Pump gas All motor SBC 427
3308 lbs-29x10.5 Hoosiers
NEW BEST ET
1.38 60' / 4.05 330' / 6.32@111.25mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99p13UK ... ture=share
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

BrazilianZ28Camaro wrote:
Keep us updated about how she did with the new intake , good luck.
I think it will be good...

How many of you actually built an intake? or run an intake built by another..... [-X

You learn a lot by NOT buying parts and making stuff work that no one can buy.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

Post by Bob Hollinshead »

Adam, what formula are you using to determine adequate plenum volume?
Pro question poster.
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by bigjoe1 »

In the real world, big carburetors want a small plenum, and smaller carbs want a bigger plenum. The size of the plenum does not effect the out come very much, I have played with the plenum size , and it is NOT very rewarding.

JOE SHERMAN RACING
nyesgym
Pro
Pro

Post by nyesgym »

well, i had a 950 on a small plenum, but I never liked the way the top half of the tunnel ram was made, the center real high and the outter sides real low. so I really think it was both things were wrong. One thing is for sure, Its going to be way different. Plenum will be 1/3 bigger, the top of the intake will be flat and equal height to all runners and i am running 2- 850 carbs. I just know this is going to be a huge difference. I am thinking positive ! everything in my mind says this is going to make my car faster