Fastest Oil?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Fastest Oil?

Post by Guest »

I'm not sure if everyone believes some oils make more power than others, but what is your favorite?
shawn
Expert
Expert

Post by shawn »

That's kind of a big can of worms. It depends on application. A higher rpm motor will almost always respond with more power from a thinner oil. In the testing that we have done, with dry sumped, high rpm drag motors, there is a significant power gain to be had. On the other hand, if you have a wet sump system, no oil control in the pan and light rings, you could be asking for trouble running the lighter weight oils because of possible combustion contamination.Brand wise, and this is from our testing, the lightest Royal Purple oil made the best power in a high rpm, dry sump motor.In the lower rpm stuff I always just run Mobil 1 that you can get at your local Wal Mart.Good stuff and cheaper there.Oil weight will be dependent on application.Hope this helped?
Shawn
Darin Morgan

Post by Darin Morgan »

shawn wrote:That's kind of a big can of worms. It depends on application. A higher rpm motor will almost always respond with more power from a thinner oil. In the testing that we have done, with dry sumped, high rpm drag motors, there is a significant power gain to be had. On the other hand, if you have a wet sump system, no oil control in the pan and light rings, you could be asking for trouble running the lighter weight oils because of possible combustion contamination.Brand wise, and this is from our testing, the lightest Royal Purple oil made the best power in a high rpm, dry sump motor.In the lower rpm stuff I always just run Mobil 1 that you can get at your local Wal Mart.Good stuff and cheaper there.Oil weight will be dependent on application.Hope this helped?
Shawn
DITO !

Took the words right out of my mouth.

We did a test about eight months ago with one of our 572 Super Series engines and Pro Stock racing oil. The same oil thats worth 15 horse power over mobil 1 in a P/S engine killed the 572 engine 12 horse power! Shocked me.
Speedy Goomba

Post by Speedy Goomba »

The pro Stock racing oil being Red Line #2w? And i'm taking a guess, but this is a comparion made to Mobil 0w-10 or 0w-20?

Interesting! have you tried Royal Purple Oils?