Kaase P-38 cylinder head

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Dave C
Kaase P-38 cylinder head

Post by Dave C »

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone here has had some experience with Kaase's new P-38 cylinder heads? I've got a SBF I'm considering them for and have heard some big numbers and claims for them. Any one here got any feed back? Thanks
Dave C
Re: Kaase P-38 cylinder head

Post by Dave C »

Anyone?
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Patience, Grasshopper...
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
900HP
Guru
Guru

Post by 900HP »

While you are patiently waiting for a response you could look up Jon Kasse and see if any of his builds run well :-s I personally think he has a pretty good grasp on things and would not hesitate to use his products if I was doing a Ford engine. He is the man. :notworthy:
Throttle's Performance
(701)893-5010
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Throttle ... 1996281602
bluenose

Post by bluenose »

I have a friend who had Kasse build a 520 with a single 1050 cfm carb, we went down and picked it up, they had it sitin on the Dyno we we arrived, were hoping for around 840 HP, it made over 850 with ease, met most of the Guys who work there , great bunch, very helpful any time we call, we were back a couple of times since, Beautiful shoplots od ADRL Pro Stock engines, not just Ford, Chev's too. My friend has had great luck with the motor, runs 9.0's @ 146, not a light car, 70 Mustang weighs around 2600. Very low maintenance motor, would buy from Kasse in a minute, you will not find a nicer guy to deal with, not to say his record speaks for it self.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

900HP wrote:While you are patiently waiting for a response you could look up Jon Kasse and see if any of his builds run well :-s I personally think he has a pretty good grasp on things and would not hesitate to use his products if I was doing a Ford engine. He is the man. :notworthy:
X 2+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Those heads are everything the twisted wedge wanted to be.... Hands down
GURU is only a name.
Adam
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Dave C wrote:Hi, I'm wondering if anyone here has had some experience with Kaase's new P-38 cylinder heads? I've got a SBF I'm considering them for and have heard some big numbers and claims for them. Any one here got any feed back? Thanks
That head is a slightly improved version of the head which Kaase did for Jeg's, (with the Jeg's name on it), a few years ago.

From using a couple sets ... they were everything they were supposed to be.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Thanks for the input.
ALKYAL
Expert
Expert

Post by ALKYAL »

watch the episode of GERZ this weekend. Repeated on Sun. The have a 10 min Seg on these heads with Jon at his shop. Even have dyno runs, Pretty good -Stacy David keeps his pie hole shut and lets the grown-up speak about what They know. Enjoy and Learn. I know Jon, he is from my area-decades ago! Al
Some people are so stupid that they dont even know it! - by a famous Hillbilly
numboltz

Post by numboltz »

"...Even have dyno runs, Pretty good -Stacy David keeps his pie hole shut and lets the grown-up speak about what They know..."

Worth watching just for that.

OTOH, at least he doesn't "build" rear axles with an impact and a sledge hammer, like some other truck shows do.
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Wow! $2500 for a set of his heads they look real nice, but I think I'll go with mor displacement instead

Thanks for all the advice
dfree383
Guru
Guru

Post by dfree383 »

You get what you pay for with those heads.

But they are more than you need or can use on a small street 302 FT motor. You be much better served with some GT40 ford racing heads, Eddy RPM's or some 185 AFR's
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

or even a pair of expedition heads from pick a part
but figure out rebuild costs unless you can DIY
If you are going to port yourself start with some cores that have potential
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Dave C wrote:Wow! $2500 for a set of his heads they look real nice, but I think I'll go with mor displacement instead

Thanks for all the advice
More displacement won't help much with power, (unless "off idle" and "low RPM" torque is your target), when you use marginal cylinder heads ... the heads NEED to match the rest of the package.

How far do you want to spin the tires...?
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

sorry I thought I was posting in the 302 build/ comments thread
but still the same
unless you are running in heads up class evaluate your spending carefully
perhaps someone is moving from TFS or another head and you could pick up the cast offs at a reasonable price for street or brackets (almost)

Walter is correct
a head on different displacements will make about the same amount of top end horsepower, just at a different peak RPM
however "much help with power" will be better all the way up to that point with more cubic inches
The small inch max horsepower engine is more expensive to build and maintain than a big displacement wide power range motor
more top end vs broader power band
Running Bonneville (which also takes a wider torque band that conventional wisdom assumes) or a heads up limited cu in class is one thing
running on the street or consistently running brackets is another

P38s or 347 (or 427 for about the same bucks) not a hard choice for most but if you can budget both...