chrysler 360 / 408 combos

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

putztastics
Expert
Expert

Post by putztastics »

What kind of pistons did that 340 have? The 340 piston compression height is taller than a 360 piston and if that 340 had the older TRWs they could have been real heavy. You would know one way to make the stock rods live is run a light piston. The KB 107 for the 360 are a pretty light piston, lighter than stock and quite a bit lighter than a 340 piston. If one were to use light CP <450gm pistons for example the stock rods would probably surprise you, I would use then over the entry level Eagle "SIR" rods.
Jesse Lackman
http://www.revsearch.com
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

putztastics wrote:What kind of pistons did that 340 have? The 340 piston compression height is taller than a 360 piston and if that 340 had the older TRWs they could have been real heavy. You would know one way to make the stock rods live is run a light piston. The KB 107 for the 360 are a pretty light piston, lighter than stock and quite a bit lighter than a 340 piston. If one were to use light CP <450gm pistons for example the stock rods would probably surprise you, I would use then over the entry level Eagle "SIR" rods.

I'd agree with Jesse on the rods. They're similar in bulk to BBC rods.
moper

Post by moper »

I built one for a fellow in CA last fall. It was 340 based, but same same. He has Shady Dell's ported Edelbrock LA heads, a solid roller, and just a basic solid build. Block was bored, plate honed, clearanced, lifters bushed, sq decked, he runs Pro Gram's 2 bolt caps on #1,2,3, and 4, ARP studs, and Milodon pan/pickup. The kit he bought was from Mancini Racing (I highly recommend them over Hughs or Indy for being human, not thinking they are deities). It's a Callies Dragonslayer, 4" stroke forged, and runs Eagle H beams. I wouldnt use SIR rods except to hold notes on a desk. The MP cranks are good, but 600hp is the upper limit IMO. SAme with the block. You may want to sonic that block too, to make sure there is enough meat in it to be strong with that arm. Light parts and a good crank will go a long way to keeping the block alive. You should also cycle and check any rod in the low or medium price ranges...dont trust the "out of the box" bit. Pistons are Diamond forged flat tops. No dyno figures on it, but the owner is fairly well versed in engines and performance, and beleives it to be a solid 550ish on pump fuel. As far as the hyd rollers, You will ned to bush the bores for std rollers, and the V tie bars will work with almost no clearancing once the lifter bores are spot faced as was mentioned. Check to be sure, but my LA340 didnt need anything. If he's looking for 500 or more, I'd go solid roller anyway. You will limit intake choices by using the Magnum based heads as said.
devilbrad

Post by devilbrad »

You will limit intake choices by using the Magnum based heads as said.
I've seen a picture of an Indy single plane made just for Magnum heads. Havent found it on their site though. Maybe its a prototype?? Note the vertical mounting holes.

Just a sponge, soaking up info.
moper

Post by moper »

Interesting...I havent looked for it. Notice the rear watering lines too? Is that from the MP small block build off? If so, I think it's feeding a 440" engine too...lol. I seem to recall a writeup about that mandated 4150 style carb on a 4500 type manifold.
putztastics
Expert
Expert

Post by putztastics »

Didn't the Indy entry use MP Magnum R/T iron heads?

I think it was 600+ chp wasn't it?

One thing about Magnum heads is that it is an easy job to drill and tap them for the older AL intakes. Dont forget there are RHS 360HPST and EQ-318A Magnum heads available, these are nearly as good as MP R/Ts if you are interested in iron heads
Jesse Lackman
http://www.revsearch.com
devilbrad

Post by devilbrad »

moper wrote:Interesting...I havent looked for it. Notice the rear watering lines too? Is that from the MP small block build off? If so, I think it's feeding a 440" engine too...lol. I seem to recall a writeup about that mandated 4150 style carb on a 4500 type manifold.
Yes, thats the competition it was in. Heres the thread on Moparts with the break down of all engines, as written by Ryan at Shady Dell. Mopar engine contest
V Cummins

Post by V Cummins »

Max give me a call at the shop 616 842 4807 thanks Vance
devilbrad

Post by devilbrad »

putztastics wrote:Didn't the Indy entry use MP Magnum R/T iron heads?

I think it was 600+ chp wasn't it?

One thing about Magnum heads is that it is an easy job to drill and tap them for the older AL intakes. Dont forget there are RHS 360HPST and EQ-318A Magnum heads available, these are nearly as good as MP R/Ts if you are interested in iron heads
Yes, they were the Magnum R/T heads. I've heard of the other heads you mentioned, but havent really seen much about them, and they sure arent used in the Magnum powered Dodge truck world I'm involved in. Are they priced cheaper then the R/T heads? It seems we are either running R/T heads full ported for $2500 or some are starting to use the Edelbrock Magnum heads. Only thing I really dont like about Mag heads is the rocker system, would rather use the LA shaft rockers. Jesel does make a shaft rocker for the Mag head, but people seem to be having fitment problems on any head other then a stock production casting. They dont seem to work with any installed height other then production line. Hopefully they will get that cleared up.
moper

Post by moper »

Yeah, it was on Moparts I read that. Good writeup by Ryan there too.
mightymopar17

360 Mopar

Post by mightymopar17 »

I have a 360 +.060 CP pistons , manley lite weight rods, MP steel crank, 4 Bolt displayed mains,internal balanced, fluid dampner, with all the oil work done to the block. Flat tappet cam with Mp ported heads , hartlan sharp roller rockers (1.5), all the colling tricks, 11.5:1 compresion, custom push rods, chevy eating, track chapion motor I will sell or 6k. Completely rebuilt and ready to roll.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

I have received some excellent help and info. Both on and off the forum.

I believe that I have a much better understanding of what works together in these engines. I have some concepts now that make sense to me.

It makes me feel good about this business when people are willing to share what has taken them years to learn (and aren't even looking to sell you something).

Thanks!
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
crazycuda
Expert
Expert

Post by crazycuda »

I see everyone has mentioned the magnum and edel heads but no one mentioned the old W2 head. Are the w2's that outdated or just not common anymore. I know mopar still sells them.
Sorry if I ask alot of questions, but you never stop learning if you ask questions
moper

Post by moper »

I dont think they are outdated, just more pricey to get up and running. They are IMO, a better race head, but for street/strip, and bang for the buck, I'll take the Edelbrocks first every time. Not to mention the brilliant Mopar Performance quality, and availability.
RyanJ

Post by RyanJ »

That INDY 360 series Intake for Magnum heads IS available to the public, give them a call if you want one. I did not know they had released it until I saw it on their engine at SuperFlow in person. It's a new piece and has not been in their ad's yet.

They ran R/T heads that they ran their 360 CNC program in and put tubes in the pushrod holes to fill in the large holes left by the CNC. Then the roof was so thin the intake rocker bosses busted off in preliminary dyno testing so they had to weld the heads and make a custom stud girdle to keep it all together. The girdle was nice looking piece, but in a nut shell those were not your average everyday R/T heads.

Keep in mind the magnum Edelbrock intake port cross section is relatively small.

The LA Edelbrocks will suffice power wise for 85% of most small block 4" crank strokers. It all depends on how much power you need to make and how streetable you need the engine to be.... ie. if you want to make 600 HP with power brakes on pump gas, the Edel probably won't do it, where a 360-2 CNC 230 INDY will.

As for bracket engines, their are quite a few low 10 sec/high 9 Edel. head motors out there.