Question for Bill Jones

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Jginger
Question for Bill Jones

Post by Jginger »

I saw in your post that you do some shot peening, was wondering if you use air blast, if so how much air pressure do you use, and what size nozzle, how do you moniter saturation, and what shot size do you use?
I have been looking for shot peening info and get shot peener mag. they make it sound quite complicated. not looking for military spec info, just some basic info so I can peen some rods and crankshafts. Thanks Jginger

[/list]
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-It's a long story but I studied shotpeening off and on for about 3 years in the mid to late 70's because we were cracking and breaking stock rods and cranks that had seen a lot of preparation.
-GM has mentioned that they use a #230 cast steel shot and an almen arc height of .012 to .015A so I learned about what that was.
-Then I looked at hand operated single air nozzle machines and they were $6500 or so and all needed huge air compressers.
-I only had a 5hp single stage compressor that pumps about 125# so I eneded up talking to Linda Erath at ABS in CA. and she sent me the carbide nozzle and I think the hole size is .150" and I bought the #230 shot from her at something like a buck a pound and I bought something like a five gallon buckets worth, maybe $250 to $300 worth.
-I looked at the cabinets, drew MY OWN plans, had a friend cut and bend the steel then I welded the cabinet myself.
-I made my own pressure pot just from looking at photos and trying to figure out how they worked, and Linda was very helpful at answering questions.
-This was well before I had a computer so I went to the local library and dug thru Thomas Registers, got phone numbers of suppliers and I found a place in GA. I think that sold the Almen "A" strips.
-I had another friend named Boyd Butler (DR.Gas) who worked at Hercules who had provided me with a lot of references, mostly from Metal Improvement CO. who have a huge free library on shotpeening, so I had the drawings for the mounting block to mount the test strips and the fixture to measure the bend in the test strips.
-So I built those pieces because they are real expensive to meet Military specs but they are simple to make if you have a mill.
-------------------------------------------------
-So the short answer to your question is I use 125# or right close 120# to get .015A Almen arc height, so I have added several reserve air tanks and I still have to wait A LOT.
-#230 cast steel shot is all I've used, and checking saturation is an eyeball thing or you talk to Metal Laundry in NJ and they have the patents on a spray that you can cover the parts sort of like a porcelain pot and the spray chips away the coating.
-The #230 cast steel shot is about .032" diameter when new.
-You can use dykem but I just eyeball it.
-Shotpeening's easy to do when you have to equipment, just it's real tedious because of the wait for the air.
-------------------------------------------------
-A side note is most of the shotpeening I did for the first several years was doing manifolds for Mike Chapman to cover up the modifications that were common back in the 23 degree era of Nascar.
-And I shotpeen a lot of odd stuff including used aluminum rods, titanium retainers, pushrods, rocker girdle nuts, welds, Piston tops and under the heads of pistons, brand new high dollar cranks in the radius's, I don't hesitate to shotpeen any area on a new high class rod that I feel needs to touched, I get into some intake manifolds plenums and ports and I have done a fair amount of disguising of modified "STOCK" rule heads etc.
-I also went thru years of lightening everything and then shotpeened it all to keep it from starting a crack.
learner

Post by learner »

I've had Bill shot peen a few things for me, definitely a quality job.
R.Brown
Pro
Pro

Post by R.Brown »

I hope Don does not mind this plug, but after reading that post by Bill it reminded me of his other technical books.

Bill Jones has published a couple of MUST HAVE technical books that cover topics on flowtesting procedures, porting, flowbench tooling, ignition systems, carbs & fuel systems (mechanical fuel injection). I bought these books about 8-10 years ago, and still refer back to particular sections all the time. These books are packed FULL of instructive text, procedures and results. If you are a forward thinking racer or engine builder, you will NOT be disappointed.

Ryan Brown
Jginger
Post by Jginger »

Thats just the kind of info I was looking for, Thanks for sharing.
I have a blast cabinet that I built out of 3/4" plywood that I lined with 1/8" sheets of polyethlene ( trying to keep the sound level down) also have a pressure pot that I`ve been thinking about using with my blasting cabinet, guess now I have a good reason do so.
Also interested info on technical books that R.Brown made reference of. will send you an email concerning this.
Thanks again Bill appreciate the info. Jginger
:D :D
ozrace

Post by ozrace »

R.Brown wrote:I hope Don does not mind this plug, but after reading that post by Bill it reminded me of his other technical books.

Bill Jones has published a couple of MUST HAVE technical books that cover topics on flowtesting procedures, porting, flowbench tooling, ignition systems, carbs & fuel systems (mechanical fuel injection). I bought these books about 8-10 years ago, and still refer back to particular sections all the time. These books are packed FULL of instructive text, procedures and results. If you are a forward thinking racer or engine builder, you will NOT be disappointed.

Ryan Brown
Are these books currently available ?
How do you source them ?
Thanks.
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-I have e-mailed Don, jginger & ozrace with my story about the books.
-If anybody else is interested I will forward that same e-mail.
-Maybe Don can post it here somewhere.
rfl28

Post by rfl28 »

hello, bill....can you count me in on the books also....thanks, bob
stand on it!
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

anybody who wants to know more about the books can e-mail me at fwillyj@comcast.net or call me at 1-801-969-3807.
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-take note that EACH book is $40 (not both books for $40).
-I had stated that both books are $40 and that could very easily be mis-interputed.
-Thanks for the interest.

books

Post by Guest »

This will be the best $80.00 you ever spent....
I have both of the books.

keith
Wolfplace
Guru
Guru

Re: books

Post by Wolfplace »

Anonymous wrote:This will be the best $80.00 you ever spent....
I have both of the books.

keith
=
Ditto :)
I also have both books & you ain't gonna find no 8X10 color glossy's,,, just excellent information & great reference material.
I highly doubt you will be dissapointed.
Mike
Lewis Racing Engines
4axis CNC block machining

A few of the cars I have driven & owned
A tour of my shop
The Dyno
And a few pics of the gang

"Life is tough. Life is even tougher if you're stupid"
John Wayne