2 stroke for drag racing cars?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Mark Workman
Pro
Pro

Post by Mark Workman »

Taking the scaleability thing to the extreme....

At only .7hp/cubic inch, but 3.6ft-lb/cubic inch, this turbo 2 stroke is definitely compromised to the torque side of the equation, but at .278 bsfc (and other obvious reasons), it is still impressive.

http://people.bath.ac.uk/ccsshb/12cyl/

I know this link has been posted before, but I could not resist.
Darin Morgan
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by Darin Morgan »

All the 2 cycle bikes I had when I was young and have played with through the years (Indian 80-MR50-YZ80-YZ400) had very narrow power bands and when you messed with the compression or porting it just seemed to make them nastier! I have the road rash and broken bones to prove that LOL. I remember taking my YZ400, porting it, lowering the jug to raise the compression and running it on racing fuel and oil. The thing would literally flip you when the power band hit. It was like an off and on switch and made it a bear to ride through the desert. You come up on a burm that you had to have some power to get out of and if you happened to be in the right gear at the wrong time,, you got a ride you where not counting on. I am sure some of that was my fault because I am not a good rider but any power band that acts like an OFF and ON switch is almost unmanageable.

P.S. Yes I am old enough that my fist dirt bike was an Indian 80. They where junk. Why do you think I learned how to work on engines. It was because of this bike. It was always broken!!!
Darin Morgan
-Induction Research and Development
-EFI Calibration and Tuning
Reher Morrison Racing Engines
1120 Enterprise Place
Arlington Texas 76001
Phone 817-467-7171
Cell 682-559-0321
http://www.rehermorrison.com
Larry Sockwell

Post by Larry Sockwell »

Ed-vancedEngines wrote:Are you possibly mistaken about Cummins 2 cycle engines?Ed
Yes, It was a Detroit 4 cylinder. Too many engines between then and now. :oops:

Larry
Erland Cox
Guru
Guru

small two strokes

Post by Erland Cox »

It is not only the weight of the parts that changes when cylinders get bigger but also the surface to volume ratio. The volume increases with the cube while the surface in which the ports are only increases with the square. In a four stroke engine you can use a bigger bore and shorter stroke but this doesn't work in a two stroke as it would make the ports wide and low and give them even less area. A two stroke likes the same bore and stroke for a roadracer and longer stroke than bore for a motocross bike. You do'nt need to have a powerband like a lightswitch, it all depends on how you make the expansion chamber. Long shallow cones gives a longer more manageable power band. The transfer ports together with the compression ratio also are important for the hit of power. If you take the hook out of the secondary transfers the powerband is smoother. A modern 250 GP bike pulls from 8000rpm to 14000rpm. Even my old Zündapp pulls hard from 7000rpm to 12000rpm and it is piston ported with no reed valve or variable exhaust. It is even aircooled. 21.7 hp from 4.05c.i. I do'nt want a smooth powerband though, I love it when the engine comes on the pipe abrubtely and sends the front wheel sky high.
putztastics
Expert
Expert

Post by putztastics »

I drew a few plans 15 years ago for a two stroke barrel type airplane engine (like a Dynacam) with valves in the double ended pistons and valves in the head. By design (sinusoidal cam) it would have been similar to a two stroke V-8 with a 2-1 reduction unit, perfect for a slow turning prop.

Then I got married and had a family.
Jesse Lackman
http://www.revsearch.com
falcongeorge
Expert
Expert

Re:

Post by falcongeorge »

Engineguy wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:55 pm
beth wrote:I ported and modified 2 strokes for 6 years. The power per CC attainable drops quickly with cylinder size. The drop is unbelievable when you get above 250 CC per cylinder. A similar 250 cylinder will have approx 75% of the power of a 500 CC. Tremendous power can be made at 80CC per cylinder but at that size 427cid would be like 87 cylinders.
The last two-stroke motorcycle I rode, 20 years ago, was a 4-cylinder 500cc Yamaha two-stroke sportbike my buddy smuggled in from Canada. At a smallish 125cc per cylinder (effectively two parallel twins with geared together cranks, not an inline four or V4), it verified your point... really nasty scarey acceleration... a bike as small and light as a 600 four-stroke with the power of a 1300(?) :shock:
RZ500. My dad had a first gen Suzuki RG400 Gamma. Berzerker machine. So peaky it took more skill than I had to be quick on it. My dad road-raced extensively in the late fifties-early sixties he had the skill to keep it "on the pipe" he could FLY on that thing. I remember chasing him on a twisty road I was on an FJ1100, by four corners in, he was GONE, couldn't even see him anymore. I'm on a bike with almost triple the displacement and way more grunt, he made me look like a chump.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru
Re: 2 stroke for drag racing cars?

Post by Steve.k »

The newer rotax twin 850 cc etec are almost 52 cubic inch. 165hp. Thats 3.17 hp/cube.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Re: Re:

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

falcongeorge wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:04 pm RZ500. My dad had a first gen Suzuki RG400 Gamma. Berzerker machine. So peaky it took more skill than I had to be quick on it. My dad road-raced extensively in the late fifties-early sixties he had the skill to keep it "on the pipe" he could FLY on that thing. I remember chasing him on a twisty road I was on an FJ1100, by four corners in, he was GONE, couldn't even see him anymore. I'm on a bike with almost triple the displacement and way more grunt, he made me look like a chump.
I had the RG500, it seemed fast until a friend rode my VFR 750 4 stroke and beat it is a drag race. Over and over again.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Steve.k wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:29 pm The newer rotax twin 850 cc etec are almost 52 cubic inch. 165hp. Thats 3.17 hp/cube.
That would be an interesting engine to put in a modern bike.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Yes and with the new etec technology im not sure why no one has. In the snowmobile world the etecs get as good or better fuel economy than 4 stroke equivalent. My nephew put a 583 rotax twin just over 100 hp in polaris quad. Suicide machine it was.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Steve.k wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:37 pm Yes and with the new etec technology im not sure why no one has. In the snowmobile world the etecs get as good or better fuel economy than 4 stroke equivalent. My nephew put a 583 rotax twin just over 100 hp in polaris quad. Suicide machine it was.
I wonder what a scaled up RD400 with the big Rotax would be like.

I think the blocking task is the transmission.
That always seems to be the problem for motorcycles.
falcongeorge
Expert
Expert

Post by falcongeorge »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:40 pm
falcongeorge wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:04 pm RZ500. My dad had a first gen Suzuki RG400 Gamma. Berzerker machine. So peaky it took more skill than I had to be quick on it. My dad road-raced extensively in the late fifties-early sixties he had the skill to keep it "on the pipe" he could FLY on that thing. I remember chasing him on a twisty road I was on an FJ1100, by four corners in, he was GONE, couldn't even see him anymore. I'm on a bike with almost triple the displacement and way more grunt, he made me look like a chump.
I had the RG500, it seemed fast until a friend rode my VFR 750 4 stroke and beat it is a drag race. Over and over again.
Drag racing wasn't even REMOTELY what they were intended for, that's why they had a relatively tall first gear. My FJ would have DESTROYED it in a drag race. Put a few bends in that 1/4 mile, and the 360lb wet weight tells a WHOLE 'nother story...
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

Gas exchange I think limits the rpm of two strokes when the bore size gets bigger, so there’s a rev limiter in there that goes down as displacement increase.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

The p-value of the null-hypothesis that you would not complete your studies by 2020 ?

Or are you really the reincarnation of Michel de Nostredame ?

:wink: :lol:
Sir Yun wrote:
985.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

falcongeorge wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:02 pm
SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:40 pm
Drag racing wasn't even REMOTELY what they were intended for, that's why they had a relatively tall first gear. My FJ would have DESTROYED it in a drag race. Put a few bends in that 1/4 mile, and the 360lb wet weight tells a WHOLE 'nother story...
Sort of, riding on 74 near Lake Elsinore, I compared it to my friend 1000cc Yamaha a couple years newer, vastly faster handling bike at least for my riding style.