2 stroke for drag racing cars?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Re: 2 stroke for drag racing cars?

Post by Kevin Johnson »

My Geometry teacher in HS always wore a suit and bow-tie. He told me when he was growing up in Indiana in the late 50s and early 60s that his two-stroke Zündapp would climb wet-plaster walls (read riverbanks). He and his friends would also travel around in two Willys Jeeps and pull each other out of the mud.

Don't judge a book by its cover. :lol:
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Did DKW ever enter competition?

With their 3=6, 2-stroke, 3-banger engine?

pdq67
vannik
HotPass
HotPass

Post by vannik »

You mean as for use in this single seater?
Layout.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.” -Charles Darwin, The Descent of Man
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

Sort of off topic, but same thinking....

For context.. A lot of the higher hp 2 strokes released by yamaha and Kawasaki around 1999-2004 were 1200 cc, 155 hp triples. Made peak power at about 7500 rpm.

They had nickel silicone carbide (Nikasil) plated aluminum cylinders. Always wondered why the big 3 weren't using this with aluminum blocks the stuff cant be honed or cut with traditional methods, shows amazing wear resistance and has a host of other benefits. Has anyone used this stuff in an alloy block v6 or v8 with a 7000 rpm max redline?
Last edited by Bill Chase on Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

I think the new billet blocks out have a nikisil option.
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

Bill Chase wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:10 am Sort of off topic, but same thinking....

For context.. A lot of the higher hp 2 strokes released by yamaha and Kawasaki around 1999-2004 were 1200 cc, 155 hp triples. Made peak power at about 7500 rpm.

They had nickel silicone carbide (Nikasil) plated aluminum cylinders. Always wondered why the big 3 weren't using this with aluminum blocks the stuff cant be honed or cut with traditional methods, shows amazing wear resistance and has a host of other benefits. Has anyone used this stuff in an alloy block v6 or v8 with a 7000 rpm max redline?

Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

The downfall I understand to nikasil is you have do all cylinders over in event of failure. The heat process distorts whole block.
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

Steve.k wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:34 am The downfall I understand to nikasil is you have do all cylinders over in event of failure. The heat process distorts whole block.
I didn't know what, that's surprising. For example, we do nothing ever to those Porsche blocks in terms of mains, no line boring or anything. They measure exactly the same and the crank spins the same before and after plating. Then again, I don't know anyone who has ever replated a single cylinder of a 928 block, since the Nikasil bores look like new even after "various mishaps".
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

This is what I’ve been told. My friend who runs a billet big inch chevy was going to go nikasil. However they said if he has a bad failure you usually have to do whole block because of heating process. He set the worlds na record for 1/8 mile couple years ago.
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

Steve.k wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:37 pm Yes and with the new etec technology im not sure why no one has. In the snowmobile world the etecs get as good or better fuel economy than 4 stroke equivalent. My nephew put a 583 rotax twin just over 100 hp in polaris quad. Suicide machine it was.
Newer 600cc 4 cylinder 4 stroke sport bikes have 100 hp or more at the rear wheel with full emissions equipment. 1000cc sport bikes are near 200 hp at the wheel...
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

What rpm would these bikes run?
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

Steve.k wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:28 pm What rpm would these bikes run?
Full power at 12-13000 rpm with a broad power range for such highly tuned engines...
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Rotax 850 turbo is 165 at sealevel and the same at 8000ft. The 872bigbore from trygstad is 185 and his 927 bigbore based off 850 is 210ish. These motors make peak at 8100 rpm. The snowmobile benifits from a cvt belt drive and I’ve never understood why bigger bikes never went this route. Possibly more maintenance over long miles who knows.
https://www.snowtechmagazine.com/ski-do ... tec-turbo/
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

Steve.k wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:00 pm Rotax 850 turbo is 165 at sealevel and the same at 8000ft. The 872bigbore from trygstad is 185 and his 927 bigbore based off 850 is 210ish. These motors make peak at 8100 rpm. The snowmobile benifits from a cvt belt drive and I’ve never understood why bigger bikes never went this route. Possibly more maintenance over long miles who knows.
https://www.snowtechmagazine.com/ski-do ... tec-turbo/
Yes, 2 strokes can make more power at lower rpms...The sport bikes are N/A except for a supercharged Kawasaki 4 stroke .Bike riders like to shift gears. It takes some skill to work the clutch and throttle just to go 10 mph.You are one with the machine, it can't stand on it's own
Lol ..Anyone can get on a sled or cv ATV and go...but it does take skill to go fast..
An experienced bike rider can run into the 10's in the 1/4 on a 600 sport bike. The 1000's run high 9's at 150 mph and top out at just over 200 mph. New bikes are smooth and wind up high with no hesitation.
But each have their attraction...Last time I rode a sled was about 15 years ago...it was damn fast..
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

OK, let's build a two stroke drag racer.

As a starting point, we could use a currently available snowmobile engine:
B = 82mm
S = 74mm
three cylinder = 1200 cc displacement
rpm = 10000
HP = 270 hp on race gas

Now we can use mapped ignition and direct fuel injection with a turbo:

15 psi boost = 547 hp @ 10000 rpm
20 psi boost = 639 hp @ 10000 rpm

We could use a currently available CVT transmission. Total weight approx 260 lbs.

Now we need a chassis. A used Formula Atlantic; 1200 lbs with full aero downforce package should
do very well for our purpose.

What class would they let us run?